“A nice to stay and eat”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Okemos, Michigan
“A nice to stay and eat”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Spent an eveing in Dothan. The Clarion hotel rooms were nice. Thedesk had a good light and a plug for your laptops. The hotel's staff were friendly and very helpful. Ate dinner in the hotel restaurant. Food was good and the prices were fair. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a hotel discount book at the State welcome center on entering Alabama
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Alabama USA
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is the type of hotel that gives you more than you expect for the price. My husband and I stayed there twice recently on our way to Florida and back. The rooms were nice and clean, the king size beds very comfortable. The bathrooms need some TLC. They are ugly and dated. The first time we were there the bathroom door didn't close. We had to leave it open all the time.
The free breakfast was a big surprise. It's not the normal 'free' breakfast you have in other hotels, just coffee and rolls or toast. This was a very decent breakfast with eggs, bacon, cereal..
People are the hotel were very polite. Next time we travel to Florida we'll consider staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mikafe
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I frequent this area every month for it is on my sales route.I have stayed at this property 5-6 times in the past 2 years and I have a problem with the way it is ran.
Since sometimes I have to jump in and help my customers with problems I get a little dirty and I will wear a company uniform.I am a salesman and make a 6 figure income. If i show up at this property wearing a dirty uniform and ask for a room then I get stuck in what I call workers row.
It is in the very back of the property and is home to all types of constuction and industry workers.I have nothing against these people and I sometimes enjoy their rowdy antics.
These people pay way less than I do because most are long term renters and the rooms are run down.
If I show up there in my nice suit I am placed near the front lobby area in a suite for the same rate as the back 40 rooms.
I have complained to management about this multiple times and they do not want to admit guilt.
They always say that we do not have a record of any previous visits by you. Even with a copy of my last visit reciept will the admit they have a double standard according only to how you appear at check-in.
The" special" rooms are clean and comfortable and also close to lobby/lounge/restaurant.
If you want one of those then you better not come in looking like a plumber.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near lobby. If they try to put you in the very back( REFUSE!)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Derek L, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
William,

I do appreciate your opinion as it helps us grow as a property. I would like to address your issue about a belief of a double standard in our hotel. We strive to attend to each of our guests in the same manner whether they are manual laborers or the heads of corporations. We do not have a certain area that any set of guests are assigned to as they check in. Frequently as you mentioned we do have long term staying guests that will be in no certain order placed around the hotel depending on the time of their check in and the availability of rooms. My front desk strives to make sure guests are accommodated in the best manner whether they arrive dripping in grease or arrive in a freshly pressed suit. There are no "special" rooms on our property. Our suites of course have more amenities than our regular rooms and if they upgraded you to a suite for the same price we more than likely did not have a downstairs room available and they were striving to find you something easily accessible upon check in. Upon your next visit I would love the opportunity to visit with you about this issue and come to a resolution that you feel appropriate.
Marion,IN
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stopped here on the way back north from Florida. We got a terrific rate on a king room. The room was clean and spacious. They need to update the TV to a flat screen with a controller that is easy to operate. The TV controller in the room was too complicated to use with 3 steps to get the TV and cable box on. The breakfast was a hot buffet in the restaurant and was delicious and plentiful. The exterior walks and corridors need to be cleaned better on a regular basis. All of these areas had cigarette butts all over and the the top of the stairs to our room(Yep, no elevator)had a liter Coke bottle half full of Coke and butts. I liked the rate, but will chose elsewhere if traveling thru Dothan again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Well after reading reviews on here that we could get a free drink ar the full bar I picked this hotel. Traveling with my husband and two young girls and a family of 7 in the van behind us on our way to fl.we were ready for a drink. To our suprise they had a karaoke contest! What a fun nite we had! Left kiddos with granny to get our drinks and karaoked then walked accross street to eat dennys! As far as the rooms go. They were good. Just had to keep our shoes on. Buts beds were very white n clean...so were towels. For the price we got with a coupon was 54dollars! Thought this place would be skanky! Breakfast was free too. It was hott! Awesome real breakfast buffet with a waitress and nice resteraunt! Very friendly people! Very happy! Would luv to stay again!

• Stayed September 2012
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our way to Panama City Beach on 8-9-12.
I was very impressed with the condition of the room that we stayed in. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I really enjoyed the complimentary breakfast buffet too. I forgot to mention they have free wi-fi too. This hotel is not bad for the price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stopped at the Clarion Inn on our way to Panama City Beach. None of us has ever stayed at a Clarion Inn before so we didn't know what to expect. Upon check in we were given free drink tickets for the on site bar. We settled into our rooms and then headed to the pool. The pool is pretty standard with not many people. After the pool we headed to the bar to collect our drinks. Surprisingly, this was a full bar nightclub type place. We met a lot of really nice people and the staff were great. The rooms are pretty average for a motel/hotel, but hey we are in Dothan, AL. I never even heard of it until this past stay. Would def stay again. Thinking about going back for the Peanut Festival. LOL

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends