“Dothan”

Howard Johnson Inn Dothan
Ranked #21 of 27 Hotels in Dothan
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Comfortable bed
■Describe the service you experienced - good
■Tell us how you liked the room - good
■Talk about the location & amenities - good
■Say what you liked best & least - best- bed
least - parking in rear.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stayed there one night, and we had a very, very small queen-sized bedroom. It was nice enough, but hard to find places for our luggage and still do our work before bed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2012

The stay was ok, the sleeping area was clean, however the bathroom was dirty. I don't know who is going to sit in that jacuzzi tub but it was dity, the toilet needed to be bleached out. I asked for clean towels and shampoo and soap, only got the clean towels. Other than the dirty bathroom it was ok. I'll try them again but I will definitely will be bring my own cleaning supplies and soap and shampoo.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2011

After being on the road all day, my wife and I were glad to arrive in Dothan, and we looked forward to checking in to the motel for much needed rest. We always try to utilize the coupons in the various room saver mags. Howard Johnson had a coupon in 'Alabama Travel Coupons' for $39.99 and when we arrived at motel, the clerk informed us that all the coupon rooms were taken, and the only thing available at that price was a smoking room. But we could get a non-smoking room for $64.99. The kicker was that there was only 3 cars in the parking lot. This is a classic case of 'bait-and switch', is very deceptive, and misleading. I, personally, will never patronize a Howard Johnson again if this is their policy. To top it off the clerk was very rude and surly with a 'take it or leave it' attitude, obviously a very unhappy man with absolutely no people skills.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I ended up using Dothan as a crash point for my road trip (place to sleep). Based on price and amenities offered, I thought that I was getting the best bang for the buck (it wasn't the cheapest but it had the continental breakfast and other comforts).

Well, Let me start with check-in. I could barely hear the person on the other side (since it was after 9pm, they closed the lobby so they did all business through their window, which muffled everything). Got to my room, while the main sleeping area was clean, the bathtub was where I found a roach and spider (as well as other filth likely associated with the roach). I ended up doing the cleanup (since it was only one roach and one spider... I'm a guy I can take care of stuff like that). Even then, I couldn't help but think about what else might be lurking so it did affect my ability to sleep. The next morning, I go and check out, and I waited over 30 mins for someone to come out to check me out. After that time, the manager (who was holed up in his office, in plain view of the front desk, door closed with one of those one-way mirrors for a window). During that time, I was able to write a full complaint to Wyndham regarding the property on my smartphone. When he did come out, and I noted how unhappy I was, he seemed rather unapologetic.

I got a reply from Wyndham, and later the property manager, who offered me a 25% discount on a future stay there (from one of those "free" Yahoo/Gmail accounts). Since I have major doubts that I will be in Dothan anytime soon to take advantage of that, I don't think I will be returning to that property if I do, since it could be years down the road, and I have sincere doubts that they'll honor it should I decide to return.

Since this was just the first night of my vacation, where I'd be staying at 4 different properties over 6 nights, it eliminated Howard Johnson from consideration.

Room Tip: Find a different property in Dothan
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank ElDestripador
Reviewed June 23, 2011

While walking in cities across the US wih 2 brain tumors and a walker, my co-walker and I stayed at the Howard Johnson Hotel in Dothan AL. We loved it. It had a guest laundry. The service from the GM was superb and the room was perfect. We enjoyed a very comfortable and good nights sleep at this hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is traveling through Dothan on business or for pleasure.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I reserved a room for 2 nights. Front desk clerk was nice at check in, but when I opened the door to the room, it looked like a 70's project house. It had a cable box on top of the tv, the bed was so old and worn it was bowed in the center, the a/c had a foul smell coming from it. Needless to say I did not stay here. Had a hard time getting a refund since I booked the room online. Sunny Patel offered to let me see a different room (supposedly a suite) but I had already booked another hotel by phone. For the quality these rooms should only be around $30 a night.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple