“Look elsewhere if you value cleanliness and basic service”

Howard Johnson Inn Dothan
Ranked #20 of 27 Hotels in Dothan
Nashville, Tennessee
“Look elsewhere if you value cleanliness and basic service”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I ended up using Dothan as a crash point for my road trip (place to sleep). Based on price and amenities offered, I thought that I was getting the best bang for the buck (it wasn't the cheapest but it had the continental breakfast and other comforts).

Well, Let me start with check-in. I could barely hear the person on the other side (since it was after 9pm, they closed the lobby so they did all business through their window, which muffled everything). Got to my room, while the main sleeping area was clean, the bathtub was where I found a roach and spider (as well as other filth likely associated with the roach). I ended up doing the cleanup (since it was only one roach and one spider... I'm a guy I can take care of stuff like that). Even then, I couldn't help but think about what else might be lurking so it did affect my ability to sleep. The next morning, I go and check out, and I waited over 30 mins for someone to come out to check me out. After that time, the manager (who was holed up in his office, in plain view of the front desk, door closed with one of those one-way mirrors for a window). During that time, I was able to write a full complaint to Wyndham regarding the property on my smartphone. When he did come out, and I noted how unhappy I was, he seemed rather unapologetic.

I got a reply from Wyndham, and later the property manager, who offered me a 25% discount on a future stay there (from one of those "free" Yahoo/Gmail accounts). Since I have major doubts that I will be in Dothan anytime soon to take advantage of that, I don't think I will be returning to that property if I do, since it could be years down the road, and I have sincere doubts that they'll honor it should I decide to return.

Since this was just the first night of my vacation, where I'd be staying at 4 different properties over 6 nights, it eliminated Howard Johnson from consideration.

Room Tip: Find a different property in Dothan
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ElDestripador

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Springbrook Township
Reviewed June 23, 2011

While walking in cities across the US wih 2 brain tumors and a walker, my co-walker and I stayed at the Howard Johnson Hotel in Dothan AL. We loved it. It had a guest laundry. The service from the GM was superb and the room was perfect. We enjoyed a very comfortable and good nights sleep at this hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is traveling through Dothan on business or for pleasure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I reserved a room for 2 nights. Front desk clerk was nice at check in, but when I opened the door to the room, it looked like a 70's project house. It had a cable box on top of the tv, the bed was so old and worn it was bowed in the center, the a/c had a foul smell coming from it. Needless to say I did not stay here. Had a hard time getting a refund since I booked the room online. Sunny Patel offered to let me see a different room (supposedly a suite) but I had already booked another hotel by phone. For the quality these rooms should only be around $30 a night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ms_C1984

Travelers are raving about these Dothan hotels

GulfCoast
Reviewed December 20, 2008

I reserved the room on the HOJO website for 2 nights during Thanksgiving weekend. Got a great rate under 45.00 per night.
Wasn't sure what to expect, due to some of the negative reviews online from awhile back, but was I pleasantly surprised.
The Lobby was clean and beautifully decorated for the holidays, Tara, the front desk mgr was friendly, and answered all my questions about the area. I got checked in quickly.
My room was very Clean, spacious, tastefully designed after a recent renovation, (I was told by Tara) Microwave and Fridge were clean and worked well. The desk was large and very useful for me, as I had some writing to do. In between my visits with family, the housekeeping staff were very efficient.
My overall experience was positive and I'll definitely stay there again.

• Liked — The quiet location and sitting area.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
florida
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We actually didn't stay there due to what we saw when we arrived. We checked in and the staff was very nice. We got to our non-smoking, must cancel by 5 (we got there at 5:30) room and opened the door and we were hit by the smell of smoke. The room was not ready at all for us. The still full garbage was full of cigarettes, hence the smell, the beds were unmade, it was just a mess. We went back to the office and they said that the smell would be gone by the time they were able to clean it. They had no other rooms that would fit us. We got our refund with no problems and left.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Northwest Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2008

I booked two rooms through Hotwire and called after the reservation to make sure I received non-smoking rooms. I spoke with the manager Sunny Patel and he said he would make sure we received non-smoking rooms. When we checked in we were placed in smoking rooms and the smell was awful. When we asked to be moved to other rooms they said that there were none available. There seemed to be alot of vacant rooms at the hotel that evening, so I asked the Manager Sunny Patel why he told me there were no vacant rooms. His response was that there were no vacant rooms under the Hotwire rate and that he would have had to charge us more to move us to other rooms.

• Liked — Proximity to ballpark
  • Disliked — Service and smell
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Baseball-Dad-00
Kansas
Reviewed January 24, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel every year for the last 4 and had no big issues so did not expect any this year. Checked in and the room I was given was being remodeled and clerk didn't even know it. Wanted another room and he said the only one was for more money. Made me feel guilty for booking the "cheap room". Said if I would have made the reservation with them instead of Hotels.com or something it would have been better. When I told him I made it through their website he gave me the room. New room smelled horrible like there was water damage and mold. was told only room left. Opened the door and it got better over an hour or so. Room was a mess, not vacuumed, dirt everywhere. When I went to heat up my dinner in the microwave about 8:00, opened it and found half eaten chicken with mold growing on it. GUESS WHERE THE SMELL WAS COMING FROM. I put it out on the sidewalk and room smelled better. Never again at this hotel.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — SMELL,DIRTY, HORRIBLE BREAKFAST
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)