“One of my favorite restaurants anywhere”
Review of Cactus Flower

Cactus Flower
Ranked #7 of 228 Restaurants in Dothan
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Ingredients are fresh, and food has great flavor. Upscale Mexican dishes. Great service and clean, nice dining room.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Found the fare served at this Cactus Flower to be fresh, high quality and very generous portions for the price. The guacamole is made fresh on order, very tasty but somewhat over-salted for our personal taste. The tomato salsa was very fresh, obviously no food dyes. (I accidentally spilt some on my shirt, and it came right out, left no stain!) The freshness comes with a price. It took 20 minutes to prepare our order. The dining area appeared to be clean, and well lighted. The restaurant advertises itself as “California Style Mexican Food”. Not sure exactly what that means. Different people have different opinions on the meaning, but general consensus seems to be that “California Style” has fresher veggies and less dependence on cheese & flour than Tex-Mex. In this case the difference between this cuisine and the common Tex-Mex restaurant is evident in the taste. There was absolutely no sense of seasoning of cumin, garlic, and other typical spices. No discernible jalapenos or onion in the salsa or the guacamole. There was a not even the typical smell of cooking-spices from the kitchen. Rice was white, long-grain rice, no seasoning. In short, this a great restaurant with Mexican food for people who don’t like the taste of Tex-Mex food. In fact Mexican influence is almost completely missing even in the décor and the staff. Besides the half dozen names of cities written in Spanish stenciled on the wall, and a couple of black-and-white photos of generic mission bells, there is otherwise no Hispanic décor. (The rest of the furnishing are a kind Rocco style). The waiters were polite young males, all of which spoke in a Deep South accent so common here in south Alabama. I would highly recommend this restaurant for those whose digestive systems are sensitive to spices and preservatives.

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Margaritas are SOOOO smooth! Had my first fish taco.... With pinto beans and Spanish rice. Hubby had beef tacos with black beans and cilantro lime rice. Everything was wonderful. Would def be back!!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is our second favorite Mexican restaurant in Dothan. However, several of our friends feel it is the number one. It is smaller and quieter than La Parrilla. The menu is relatively small. Service has been rather mixed (good and bad visits).

Reviewed July 14, 2013

After several weeks of anticipation, my companion and I finally made it to Cactus Flower. Our overall experience was good, not great.

The restaurant is visually appealing. We were seated promptly at our table. The tables were decorated with linen napkins and white table cloths topped with a thick glass covering, and the background music was at a moderate level, which made for easy conversation. As a matter of personal taste, neither of us particularly liked the smooth jazz genre.

My companion ordered the chicken tostada, Mexican rice, and a beer. I had their shrimp chimichanga, Mexican rice, and my usual beer. We appreciated receiving our beers in chilled glasses.

Shortly after being seated, our server brought our beers and a small serving of chips and salsa--probably the smallest chip-salsa serving I’ve ever had in any restaurant. I was surprised, but not overly concerned, for I expected to have plenty of food coming with the arrival of the entrees. My expectations were not quite fulfilled with the modest entrée sizes.

The tostada was enjoyed. My “chimi” was good, but not exceptional. I was expecting a somewhat larger serving, something comparable to “chimis” I’ve eaten in other establishments. I paid $2.00 extra for shrimp instead of chicken or beef. I felt the amount of shrimp—and the entire dish—to be on the smallish side. I did not feel I received full value for the extra charge. I actually had an experience previously unknown to me—I left a Mexican restaurant and was still hungry! My companion’s experience was better than mine across the board, and she was not hungry upon leaving the restaurant.

Service was adequate at best. Our server never inquired if we needed more chips/salsa. (It turns out that we did). Prices at Cactus Flower are a bit higher than those found in most Mexican restaurants. Consequently, the perceived value comes in as being about average.

Even with some “negatives,” I would keep Cactus Flower on my list of the better Dothan restaurants. I would definitely consider a return visit, especially for those “special occasions.” Next time I’d try another entrée, however. I would also inquire about additional chips/salsa. I would also request seating farther removed from the busy front entrance area. All in all, Cactus Flower is a welcome addition to Dothan scene.

Been to Cactus Flower? Share your experiences!