“Great informal lunch!”

Red Elephant
Ranked #16 of 223 Restaurants in Dothan
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Italian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Franklin, Tennessee
“Great informal lunch!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

A friend and I had a Sunday lunch at the Red Elephant. The atmosphere is light and cheery. The hostess and servers are sweet and have great attitudes. The food is great! I had a mushroom and swiss cheese burger--real meat! perfectly grilled :-) Highly recommend this place!

• Visited February 2014

Southern States
“A Treat, not a Trick!!!!”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

For some unknown reason, we had been putting off going to the Red Elephant. We rolled the dice on Halloween, and it was the best treat of the day. The door on a non-descript, strip mall glass front was opened by a staff member who greeted us and led us to our booth. We had narrowed our selections down to 4, and with Patsy's friendly advice, house salad/Red Elephant Burger and Creamy Tomato soup/tomato & basil topped individual pizza. Patsy had informed us that the soup was pre-packaged but a lot was sold. She brought me a ramakin of it to try, and I was hooked! The soup was chunky and creamy, actually leaving a fat feel on the tongue. Excellent!!! T has a more intense love of iceberg, so I was non-plussed by standard salad. Although it had a very generous portion of shredded cheese on top, it was not enough to bring this salad up to the rest of meal's standards. With a large selection of salads, a different choice next time shouln't be difficult. The pizza was a thin crust, crispy cheese pie.It was so hot upon arrival at tabl I was reminded of napalm! It had a good taste, I would have preferred a little more spice in the sauce, it leaned toward the bland side. I did not see anyone throwing dough, or with a pin, so I fear these crusts may be pre-formed, I still crave the thin, foldable, grease laden pie from NY. The Red Elephant burger lived up to its name as a house special. A thick, fresh, made in house patty was smothered under blue cheese sauce,cramelized onions,American cheese,sauteed mushrooms,bacon,lettuce,tomato and mayo. A combination that didnt sound good to me, but it worked. Oh yeah, it worked. Even though I ordered the burger well done, there was still plenty of "drippings" on the plate for sopping goodness! The mushrooms and onions offered a great balance to the tang of the blue cheese, the veggies adding a cold crunch, complementing the whole messy handful. This is a burger worth having again! Of the four items, the soup and burger stomped the salad and pizza. But pizza is such a personal thing, what crust I may find too crunchy, you may prefer, so don;t let this deter you. Our order arrived quickly, but we had time to wander around the modern, spotless interior. To our suprise, there was a gameroom with several arcade choices, and even Ms.Pacman! This is a family friendly place but with a grown up flair. Some of the best service we have received in this town. Other restaurants need to follow suit of Red Elephant, because they get it right!!!

• Visited October 2013
Alabaster, Alabama
“Well-run local place”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I went here with some friends who are Dothan natives on their recommendation of the chocolate cake. (It's called 1000 Chip Cake or something like that.) Some of us ordered pizza and others the fish sandwich (mahi mahi burger I think) The fish sandwiches appeared to be undercooked when they arrived so we requested different ones. The waitress apologized immediately and took them straight to the manager or owner guy. A few minutes later he came over to apologize again and assure us that different ones were being prepared and thanked us for pointing out the problem, he said they wee underdone and that that was not acceptable. While we were waiting for the new ones the waitress came back to the table several more times to apologize again. In my opinion people should be allowed to make mistakes, it is the way they are handled afterward that makes a place okay or not. The second plates arrived with the new fish burgers perfectly done. We were there on a busy night (kids eat free night) but the waitress seemed to have plenty of time for us and the wait for the food wasn't terribly long. At one time I spotted the manager/owner using that crumb sweeper thing to clean the floor, kudos for spotting something that needed to be done and doing it yourself. i had the chocolate chip cake and it was very good but a little pricey at $5 for a piece I ate with only a few bites going to the other people at the table. If you are looking for a local restaurant rather than the family restaurant chains, i definitely recommend this place.

• Visited August 2013
Huntsville, AL
“Over priced for what you get”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Just wanted a quick pizza and the Red Elephant was right down from the hotel. Ordered a large pepperoni and they offered curbside service which was nice. Pull up to the curb and they bring it out. Was a little taken back when they said it would be over $17 for a single large pepperoni pizza, but lets see how good it is. Average at very best. Crust was a little overdone and for $17 it should have had a lot more pepperoni and cheese on it. I could have combined 2 Little Caesar's for $10 and had a better pizza.

• Visited August 2013
Bainbridge, Ga
“Pizza and little else”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Found nothing on menu of interest to me. I did not want pizza or a burger, but ordered a burger nonetheless. It was dry and did not have much flavor.

Visited June 2013