“Come with an Appetite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Taj

Taj
Ranked #3 of 223 Restaurants in Dothan
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Havana, United States
“Come with an Appetite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

My wife and I paid The Taj a visit when we were up in Dothan. We were promply seated and gave the waiter our order.Large television sets were showing a concert and racing which were a bit distracting (belong in a Sports Bar only in my opinion) A number of minutes transpired before a waitress came to our table and noticed that we had not been served the customary roti with tamarind sauce and onion relish-so these were delivered after our Somosa and Mulligatawny Soup had been served. The Somosa pastries were good sized with a crisp shell and had a rather mild flavor - not bad but I have had better ones. I ordered the Mulligatawny Soup and my Chicken Korma both medium spicy. The soup came rather hot and spicy but the Chicken Korma was rather bland in seasoning. However the Chicken Korma had a wonderful sweet taste-my only complaint is that the cashews were all ground up (I prefer the texture of having unground cashew nuts in my Korma). My wife had the Chicken Tikka Masala which she ordered mild- and mild it was (rather bland). Both dishes had plenty of large chunks of chicken breast and plenty of flavorful rice. We ordered the regular Naan bread and it came to us piping hot and nicely browned-it had a great flavor. We were both stuffed from eating the generous servings and had no room for Mango Kulfi (Ice Cream)...which gives me an excuse to return and try more of their menu.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank David M

Dothan, Alabama
“I'm an Indian Connoisseur, and this is Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I've had Indian everywhere from the East End in London, to Atlanta, to NYC. This is about as good as it gets. Skip the Greek - you can get that about anywhere. If you want "big city" cuisine in a small city, this is it. The flavors of the Indian food are diverse. Try the Mali Methi with goat or lamb if you want something really authentic. Also, the Keema Nan is quite tasty.

OK, the waiters are not always attentive, and some are not particularly knowledgeable about the food, but who cares? The food more than makes up for it.

• Visited November 2013
“Good food/Bad service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

My wife & decided on Taj for Valentine's Day. There was no waitress attending to the table when we first were seated. We finally flagged one down after about 20 mins. Plus side of that was she was friendly once she did come over. My wife had the chicken kabobs, which was great. I had the biryani with what was suppose to be lamb, but tasted more like beef. The couple sitting across from us was still waiting for their food when we left. The wait staff's customer service sucks. The manager finally floated out to check on the customers once. Will eat from there again, but to go.

2 Thank JAHOVA01
“Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

We had an excellent time. I would highly recommend this restaurant to any friend looking for great service and great food.

• Visited December 2013
Dothan, Alabama
“A huge fan of tha Taj!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

Love, love, love this restaurant, and the new setting is cozy and gorgeous! Food is wonderfully flavorful, and they will spice it according to your tolerance. You do have to realize that some times the chilies that are used for spicing are hotter than at other times, just like one orange may be sweeter than another, so spice with caution! ;) While I've enjoyed every dish I've had here, my all-time favorite is the Malai Kofta (spice level 7-8) with some garlic naan - yummmm! I used to live in big D so ate here often, but I make sure to visit every time I'm back in town!

• Visited December 2013

Been to Taj? Share your experiences!