“Accolades Well Deserved”
Review of Taj

Taj
Ranked #3 of 223 Restaurants in Dothan
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Hattiesburg, MS
“Accolades Well Deserved”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Taj is a very good restaurant. Hard to believe that in my six years of visits to Dothan I was unaware of this great spot. I can say that I’m thoroughly pleased with all aspects of my first visit—a birthday treat.

My companion and I went the Indian route for our first experience. (Taj also has some Greek and Italian items in addition to the far larger Indian offerings). The food was delicious across the spectrum; the service was superb, the ambiance above average, and the prices in the modest range. A truly memorable birthday experience and a definite “thumbs up” for a repeat visit as soon as feasible.

Good first impressions started from the moment we entered the restaurant. We were greeted warmly by the owner-manager and assigned a server (Brigman) who ranks as one of the very best servers we’ve encountered in all our experiences. Our server was knowledgeable, patient, and helpful in guiding us through the lengthy Indian menu. (I’m not sure that I have ever before encountered such detailed and helpful information as provided by Brigman).

We started off with the very tasty papadum masala appetizer. My companion ordered a sweet coconut soup and the chicken biryani as an entrée. I skipped the soup, and saved room for two orders of garlic paan and my entrée of butter chicken curry. We both found the meal so filling that we had to skip the complimentary “birthday dessert.”

The dining area is nicely decorated and furnished, in part, with comfortable upholstered chairs. We enjoyed a quiet setting for conversation and the enjoyment of our delicious dining offerings. Our server continued to be ideal: he was quick to assist, but was not constantly interrupting the flow of our conversation and meal. Every action was done in an appropriate and timely way.

Our experience was first-rate across the board. I definitely plan to return, and I recommend Taj without hesitation.

I did notice one “negative.” I’m puzzled as to why an otherwise nice restaurant needs to have neon beer signs in the front windows. I cannot imagine that many guests are motivated to enter the restaurant because of the gaudy signs.

SHARPSBURG
“Amazing - really I wish I could have eaten MORE!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Their menu has LOTS of Idian choices - plus greek and italian.
They moved from a small dingy place to a palace (in comparison) ... its beautiful. Food is still (or even MORE delicious) .... I wish I didn't live in Atanta. I would be there every week eating my way through the menu over and over again.
The owner is FANTASTIC - he cares and wants to share Indian (et al) cuisines with those (in particular those who are new to trying this)....He's great!
Try is - you won't be sorry!

Jacksonville, Florida
“What a great place.”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Trip advisor came threw again !! Love this place! Decor is great! Service is great! Food is great!! We have never been to an Indian restaurant or the Taj. We told our host and he went threw the menu explaining everything and what we should try. He was right on. We loved all our dishes. I had a preconception that all Indian food would taste like curry. How ignorant of me. This will not be our last visit to the Taj and its a 1 1/2 hour drive for us. Try this nice place !!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
“Indian in Dothan”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was very surprised after having dinner at Taj last night. Surprised that there is an international restaurant of that caliber in Dothan. The meal was amazing. There are about thirteen choices of Naan bread. I had the Neema which is stuffed with minced lamb meat. It was to die for. For my entree I chose the lamb gyro kabob. It paired well with the naan I had chosen. It is strange to see a restaurant that specializes in both Indian and Greek and do both well. I suppose that is why it is the number one restaurant in Dothan though. The meal as a whole was wonderful. The service was good and the price was not expensive. I will definitely eat here again.

• Visited May 2013
Enterprise, Alabama
“The old location”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We enjoyed our meal at the Taj, this was the older establishment located downtown, they've since moved to a much better location and atmosphere. We really enjoyed their bread and their curry!

Visited February 2013

Been to Taj? Share your experiences!