“Unparalleled Concierge Service”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dothan
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Dothan
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I do a lot of traveling. A lot. So when I'm on the road I've found most of the hotel chains offer the weary traveler pretty much the same level of comfort. Clean bed, fresh towels, little bars of soap...really what else is there?

I recently had to go to Dothan, AL on business. Lovely town with an abundance of hotels. So I began to call around to get the best rate. When I called the Country Inn and Suites, I was surprised when rather than reaching the usual bland, bored desk clerk, the manager Randy Brown answered the phone in a friendly, welcoming manner. Almost as if we had met before.. In addition to securing me a very competitive rate, he stayed on the phone, patiently answered all my questions and even told me where I would find the best BBQ in town.
After a long drive I arrived. When I walked in, everyone greeted me with a smile. A real one. Not one of those "Oh Gee, I have to smile at this guy." Randy checked me in, and showed me where the hot coffee and fresh baked cookies were. I was given a complimentary copy of USA Today, and was shown where their free library was should I need additional reading materials. When I asked what the wireless password was (how many of us have struggled with those?!) I was told there were none needed. All free. Just like the cookies.
My room was large, bed and the many pillows comfortable, towels plentiful, with a nice large TV. After a long day on the road, I slumbered as if I were in my own bed.
The next day I was pleasantly surprised to find more friendly staff assisting guests with a delicious breakfast buffet.
I spent four nights at the Country Inn, but it felt more like staying over a friend's house. The staff always greeted me by my first name, and Randy was extremely helpful in providing local information. He was always present, never hiding in his office doing "work".
I want to thank CJ, Savannah and Kim W who manned the front desk and kept the coffee hot and cookies plentiful. Kim B manned the spotless breakfast buffet and both Tiffany and Yuphin kept my room spotless and kept me in fresh towels.
If you are going to Dothan, I have to enthusiastically recommend the Country Inn and Suites. This is coming from a man who was a travel writer for years.
Jim
p.s. The manager Randy, could manager any Ritz hotel blindfolded!

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad room in the hotel. I was impressed by the heavy room doors that blocked...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jim B
cx_dothan, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dothan, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

We are truly humbled by your review. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience with us. I am confident several visitors to the area will find this extremely useful when trying to select a good place to stay.

We enjoyed the time you spent with us. It was a pleasure meeting you and having a chance to talk. We hope to see you both again, in the not to distant future. In the mean time, if there is anything we can do to help you in your journeys, please feel free to contact me directly.

I remain, at your service,

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We had an AWFUL experience at a hotel the previous night, so I came to this Country Inn & Suites on New Years Eve day. The General Manager, Randy Brown offered to show me different rooms he had available & take me on a tour of the hotel!! I assured him that we would be back the next time we came to Dothan!!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank vbgn98
cx_dothan, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dothan, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

It was truly our pleasure to have you as our guest over New Year's. We trust you and your family enjoyed your time at Disneyland.

Guest reviews go a long way in helping others determine a great place to stay when in the area. We wanted to thank you for your contribution as well as say thank you for your business.

When in the area again, please feel free to contact me directly. I remain at your service.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Sandwiched between Home Depot and Cracker Barrel this hotel is a diamond in the ruff. The front desk staff are very professional and inviting. The hotel is well mantained and very meticulously clean. The parking is free and the breakfast is great. Directv with HBO and Cartoon Network is a plus as well as the clean fun and HEATED pool and spa. We will definitely make this our go-to place in Dothan, AL.

Room Tip: We were in the odd 300 block which is right over the Cracker barrel garbage dump. No smell but early...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank A-kima B
cx_dothan, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dothan, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

It was such a pleasure to have you as our guest. I am so pleased that you found us and will now consider this your destination of choice when in the area.

Your kind words will go a long way in helping others, not only find us, but know what they can expect when they stay.

We look forward to your next visit. In the mean time, if there is anything we can do to help, we remain at your service.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have stayed here with my dad several times when he booked it via hotwire or some other discount site. Very clean, quiet hotel with an indoor pool. This has to be one of the nicer hotels available in Dothan. I will continue to use this hotel as needed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
cx_dothan, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dothan, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

As always, it was a true pleasure having you as our guests. Thank you for sharing your experience, it goes a long way in helping others evaluate hotels in our little city.

Prior to your next visit, if there is anything we can do, in preparation, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The room was clean and staff courteous. We have stayed twice. The hot tub was down both times and it is a breaker which does not seem to get fixed so the hot tub can be cold. Both stays the room was not cleaned each day and towels placed against door in hall. The breakfast got wiped out and it took time to get it replenished. I think someone should be monitoring it closer than that.
Management always had excuses. If you want a clean room at a good price then this is the place. If you expect a top knotch hotel for a good price then this is not it. My wife expects maid service.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mccarol
cx_dothan, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dothan, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience. This goes a long way in helping us constantly improve. We are far from perfect, but always want to exceed guest expectations. In this case, we have failed. By sharing this, it allows us the opportunity to correct the process.

Please accept my apology regarding the hot tub. We take pride in the cleanliness of our hotel, including the public areas, pool and hot tub. We drain our hot tub and clean it multiple times each week. You are absolutely correct, we failed to turn the pump back to operation once refilled. I have made some modifications to the process, which will help assure it is running.

Please accept my apology regarding daily room cleaning. We offer "do not disturb" signs for our guests, and respect their privacy. When these are left on the door, my housekeepers are not permitted to enter the guest room. To assure everyone has sufficient ammenity items, we do leave a bag outside of the room. These bags also include a personalized note confirming the do not disturb sign was present. We have reviewed our records for the second day of your stay, and found this to be the case. If the sign was removed, it was after my team had left for the day.

We do our very best to make sure breakfast is always fresh and well stocked. It is also my requirement that we make many small batches of fresh food, rather than making a large volume and have it sit out all morning. While this does improve the fresh appeal of breakfast, it may result in us running low. We will work diligently to assure the items are monitored closely & kept up, as they should have been for you.

I wanted to personally thank you for your comments and apologize for the inconveniences. We would appreciate an opportunity to show you how your input was used to make improvements.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

When we arrived, 2 staff members were at the front desk. We approached the woman and she rudely told us that the young man would help us. We requested a quiet room since we were there on business, but instead were placed in a room by the elevator & fitness room. We asked if a late check-out would be possible, but they said it's never possible at this hotel (interesting considering the hotel's book in the room states that late check-outs can be arranged & there were hardly any people staying at the hotel). This is the first hotel that has ever refused a late check-out; everyone else is understanding & would at least allow me to spend time in their public areas (pool or fitness room). Staff seemed to be especially rude when they realized that we had booked the room through a discount website. You're supposed to be just as nice to all customers because all customers could be potential repeat customers!

The room was in good condition and had high ceilings. Didn't get the chance to use the fitness room because there was only one treadmill which was being used both times I wanted to exercise. The hot tub was a nice to relax in for a little while. The breakfast buffet had a good assortment of food & they actually use real plates & silverware. The morning had also brought a change of staff. The 2 rude & lazy staff members were gone & had been replaced by 2 polite gentlemen who actually said good morning! At least my stay ended on a more positive note. If I managed the hotel, I would be sure to demote the rude front desk workers to a position where they are not able to communicate with guests.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
cx_dothan, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dothan, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Guest perception is our reality ! How guests feel about their stay is extremely important to us. I am so very sorry that you felt my staff member(s) were rude. I can assure you that making your reservation on a third party site had nothing to do with your situation. The gentlemen who was at the desk was the associate on-duty. The other person was working in another area, which is why she may have directed you to the associate.

We have notes on your reservation, so I am able to clearify. Upon arrival you asked for an upgrade. The young man at the desk explained that there would be a fee for an upgrade. (As with any other reservation). With regard to late check-out, standard check out is at 12 Noon and you asked for a 2PM late check-out. Between 1PM and 3PM we do charge 1/2 day and after 3PM we charge a full night. At the time of check-out it was I who was working the desk.

We sure hope this helps clearify this situation. I do understand that this in no way makes up for your first impression of our hotel. If you would, please allow me the opportunity to show you on your next visit that your input is valuable and was used to improve the hotel for all guests.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

kim at front desk was great,
she made sure first night,
that i had quiet room to sleep, Gave me a great room second night also, Clean rooms friendly folks. I came in to work on job,
had no idea i would be over nighting, she worked hard to get me a room first night,( thier was a big festavile in town) put me away from the noisey kids,
second night , she put me where i could watch my work truck, Greatly appriciated the compassion

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank tanksl
cx_dothan, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dothan, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

We understand the unexpected need for accomodations. So pleased to hear that you enjoyed the time with us. Now you know where to stay when you are in Dothan.

You can rest assured this will be shared with Kim and the rest of our team. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I am confident others will find it useful too.