“5 Star Quality Food & Atmosphere”
Review of Cafe 113 - CLOSED

Cafe 113
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I had easily one of the best meals ever last evening. This tiny restaurant is tucked away down a side street and probably best for a romantic dinner. We were a party of 8 business associates.

I have eaten at 5 star restaurants in Paris, London, DC, LA and others - they could all learn a thing or two about taste and plating from Cafe 113.

I enjoyed beer cheese soup, rasberry vinigrette spinach salad, a mediterranean steak and crab cake entre with risotto so much that I am disappointed to say I was too full to even look at the dessert menu.

I cannot say enough about this amazing little place. I truly wish I was going to be in town long enough to eat here again.

1  Thank Robin C

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Had reservations for Valentines Day. When we were seated, we had to wait 10 minutes before someone got our drink order. It was another 20-25 minutes before someone came back to our table and it was the hostess. Waiters were going to all the tables but ours. The chef finally came out to get our salad orders. After the salad, no waiters could be found. Another 20 minutes and the chef came back out to get our main course order. No refills on our drinks unless we flagged the hostess down. People that came in after us had drinks, main course, and dessert and left before we even got our dessert. We had to get up and go find the hostess to get our ticket. She got a waiter that we never saw that night to get our ticket and on the ticket they charged us $25 gratuity! I was so tired of all the other mess, I paid it and left. I will never go back! Should have complained more, but I was ready to leave. Spent over 2 hours in there and never saw our waiter.

1  Thank Jeff G
Reviewed February 23, 2013

As the title suggests, I had the filet mignon. It was one of the best steaks I've ever had. I was worried at first because the sections were thinner than normal but it was right at medium rare as requested. I remeber chewing but it felt more like melting in your mouth.
Everything else was very good. The crab cake was delicious. Service was on the slow side but the company was good so it wasn't noticed as much.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

There are two areas in the restaurant - the left where formal dinner is served, the right that is more of a pub. We went to the formal side and should have gone to the right.

Very bad service - orders incorrect; servers not to be found. Heard the other table telling them the order was wrong. Very expensive for what you get.

Compare that with the pub side we saw as we left - place was packed; people having a good time; the displayed menu showed really good deals. Obviously we chose incorrectly.

We'll go back but will go right instead of left.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've recently had the pleasure of eating lunch on the "bar" side and dinner on the "fine dining" side of Cafe 113. First, the bar side: I had pastitsio, the daily special, and my 4-yr-old son had chicken tenders & fries. My "Greek lasagna" came with a choice of salad. I chose the Greek salad, and loved it. This was my first time to try pastitsio, and I loved it so much that I went home and found a recipe. It was nearly 1:00 when we got there, and we had the bar to ourselves. My son loved his chicken, and our server mixed up chocolate milk just for him.

Dinner: I had a buy-one-entree-get-one half price coupon, so we decided to use it. My husband and I hadn't been to Cafe 113 for years - probably since 2002 or 2003. We took our kids with us, but be aware: there is no true "kids' menu," no crayons or placemats to color on, etc. If your kids are not pretty well-mannered in restaurants, I would not take them. Mine were threatened thoroughly before we went in about what would happen if anyone tried to get under the table. ;-)

Our dinner was served in several courses. The spinach salad was simple: spinach, feta cheese, and strawberries. It was served with a lovely raspberry vinaigrette. My husband had the beer cheese soup, which he said was probably the best of its kind he's had. I had the soup du jour. unfortunately, I don't remember what it was, but both of my kids tasted it and asked for some of their own. My entree was the blackened catch of the day, red snapper. It was delicious. I've eaten seafood all over the country, and this was right up there with the best. Cooked perfectly (not overdone!), it was dusted with a just-right amount of spice. My husband had the ribeye, also blackened, and was completely satisfied. My family raises beef cattle, so steak often falls short of our expectations. Not this time!

Our service was very good. Our server was a little flustered, as he was trying to work and train new servers at the same time (perhaps new staff= better service in the future?), but we never felt neglected. He was also very good with the kids.

One last thing: the decor is gorgeous. I would recommend Cafe 113 for any special night out, as the ambiance is quiet lovely and intimate. It would be a perfect date night, spot for an adult get-together, or even (if you are like us) a family dinner, though I wouldn't recommend it for *most* small children.

1  Thank NLTMom