Comfort Inn
$64
$117
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewswafflesquick bitenice bathroomgood sizewould stay againliving roomhousekeeping stafffast food placesroom was cleanclose to the hotelgulf shoresnice hotelnice breakfastking bedsitting areaparking lotupon check
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Wow. How disappointing. Tiny hotel. Appears to be recently remodeled but it's just lipstick on a pig. New paint and carpet but fixtures are old, broken, and dirty. The worst part is the smell. It permeates the entire hotel and it's only concentrated in the rooms. The best way I can describe it is to think of a locker room at a community pool. Body odor, humidity, mildew, and just badness. We had to go to Target and buy an odor absorber and a bottle of Febreeze (of which I used 1/2 a bottle) just to tolerate the odor. We are part of a large party and everyone else said the same of their rooms. If you have the misfortune of being in decatur AL, I'm sorry you'll have to stay here. It's a real shame that this town doesn't have a decent hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank AndLinTown
Dedra B, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

I am very sorry that you encountered this problem with our facility. I do understand that some guests who are not pet owners were staying in pet rooms. That could have been the issue for some of the guests. I apologize for the unpleasant shadow this certainly left on both our hotel and your time here in Decatur. We will certainly put effort into discovering the cause of this issue and resolving it. Thank you for informing us of the problem so that we can prevent it in the future.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Driving up from the Gulf our original destination for the night was to be Nashville but due to fatigue we decided that continuing to drive wasn’t smart. We called Choice’s toll free number and asked for Comfort Inn along I-65 (As we had a nice stay at a Comfort Inn a few days earlier in Arkansas). They had one 10 miles ahead so we book it.

The guy at the front desk was welcoming and check in was fast. He was also helpful in directing us to several restaurants and even offered to call them to see how late they were open as it was getting late.

The room was spacious and looked “newish”, clean and inviting. Beds were quite comfortable. A decent size flat screen TV.
The continental breakfast was good with several hot items: biscuits & gravy, waffles and eggs. We did not have time for the pool so unable to comment on it.

We seldom stay at properties without reading reviews first but this was an unplanned stop so we were a bit apprehensive. As it turned out we were completely satisfied.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank confire
Dedra B, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

First and foremost, thank you for being such loyal guests of the Comfort Inn brand. We all appreciate you patronage. Though you were hesitant at first, I am glad you decided to stay with us. Thank you for the excellent review, but most of all, thank you for choosing us and allowing us to earn your business.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

The breakfast was the most disgusting I've ever had. The gravy was like water, and you could of drank it like coffee. The pets were only suppose to be on 3rd floor, but they were on every floor. They just so called remodeled this hotel, but the bed spreads had stains all over them, ants in the rooms, towels had stains. The rooms smelled dirty, so we had to spray the rooms to get the smell out. Don't stay here. They say they got new mattresses, but all they did was put mattress cover on them with pads. The pillows were small square pillows.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank whysoyucky
Dedra B, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

First I would like to apologize for any problems you must have encountered while staying with us. We strive to maintain corporate standards, not merely for franchising benefits, but for the enjoyment of our guests.
I would like to know when you stayed with us to better understand when this may have happened. There has not been a time that I can remember where pets were on every floor. Pets are limited to the third floor, though from time to time we have had a guest sneak a pet in or bring in a service dog and need to be on a different floor. I would very much like to know when you were with us to learn what happened that we somehow ended up with pets on every floor, since I obviously know nothing about this time. I do apologize if another guests' pet caused problems for you during the stay with us. We do want our geusts to enjoy their stays, both those traveling with and without pets.
As far as the ants, unfortunately Alabama is notorious this time of year with us locals for ants being everywhere. We have professional pest control maintain the property monthly. Our maintenence staff also sprays regularly throughout the month in effort to control the ants. We are working diligently to resolve this issue.
I am sorry that cleaning towls were accidentally mixed in and somehow ended up in your bathroom. That is unfortunate. Our housekeeping works to keep things clean and up to standards. Once in awhile something gets into another load and it does not get noticed before a guest such as yourself is using it. This is not an excuse. I do apologize for that, because I understand that no matter how many times someone tries to tell you it was a accident, having a stained towel that just looks dirty is a stained towel that looks dirty. I am certain that like myself, you do not want to ever be in a hotel and have anything look or feel dirty. My sincere apologies for that.
To address the last issue of the bedding, the Sincerely Yours bedding is a newer signature Comfort Inn has introduced. The bedding is all rather new. The pillows also have to meet corporate standards. We are not allowed to simply pick the bedding we like, the sheets we want, etc. Everything from the terry quality of the towels, thread count of the sheets, and pillow specifications have to meet or beat corporate standards. And yes, we have put new matress covers on ALL of the beds in the facility within the last few months. We also have been systematically replacing the matresses as well. We do have new Serta matresses, and corporate regulates those too. I am sorry if you felt that the new covers were put on to hide old matresses. We, like many hotels, utilize these to limit everything from allergens to the risk of bed bugs being brought in.
I do regret the feeling that you obviously walked away from our property with. I hope that your future stays with Comfort Inn and the Choice Hotels family are more to your satisfaction.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here because it had pretty good reviews and was pet friendly. I don't kow why I didn't pay attention to the recent review complaining about the bad smell. The positives: The front desk staff was outstanding and the dog area was rather large. The rooms look very different than what appears in the photos. They have been updating with new furnishings, carpeting, etc. The negatives: Needing a pet friendly room we were placed on the 3rd floor because that is where they are located (with the exception of a pet friendly handicap room located on the 1st floor). Upon entry into our room it SMELLED VERY BAD and I requested to be moved to another room. I was advised we couldn't be moved because they only have 4 pet friendly rooms in the entire hotel and that the other rooms were reserved. However, they offered to come to the room and spray it with an industrial strength room deodorizer -- which they did. I don't think I will be staying here again primarily because the smell in our room was so bad and I don't know if it was just the room we were in or all of the rooms.

Stayed: April 2013
Dedra B, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

I apologize for the bad experince you had on your stay with us. Unfortunately we have a limited number of pet rooms, which can be problematic when situations like this occur during busier times. We work to be pet friendly for our guests. While this is good for many guests, it can also leave an opening for other issues to arise. We have many guests traveling with pets, most of them very well behaved, seasoned traveling companions. However, there are occcassions where this is not the case. Just as a pet can act out at home and leave the carpeting suffering through heavy cleaning, this can also happen for some pets when traveling. That in mind, this is not a problem you should have faced. My sincere apologies that this room was rented to you. I am not sure what caused it to not be blocked off for heavy cleaning, but we will be addressing this issue with both front desk and housekeeping staff. Although some time has passed since this occurance, this is an issue that should never repeat. If you are ever in our area again, please feel free to contact me. I will guarantee a very different experience and strive to make amends for this past stay.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed there due to a reasonable rate, location and their advertisement of free hot breakfast. We get there and the first room smelled of body odor. They gave us a different room, that one was okay but still musty. The chair in the room was broke, there were bugs, the bath tub was dirty and there was filth all over the bathroom door. We checked out the pool and it was not of standards. The water smelled and there was dirt in the pool. Breakfast was a joke. It was a continental breakfast not a hot breakfast like advertised. The bread and bagels were old and the milk was served at room temperature. I spoke to the front desk and some young guy said,"what do you want me to do about it?" The general manager never contacted me as requested and I spoke with some young bimbo who called herself the assistant general manager. She apologized and was going to call me back. Never heard from her. I have managed properties for years and I know the problems with this place is the employees lack responsibility for their actions and are plain lazy. Don't stay there! Oh and by the way, they have bed bugs.

• Stayed: December 2012
Dedra B, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

While I regret you felt unhappy with your stay with us, I must say many things in this review are very inaccurate. I will not try to say that our staff was perfect, everything was immaculately clean, etc. Although we work to offer our guests an enjoyable experience, there are times when people fall short. We are people and are flawed. I would just like to interject that our Assistant Manager is in her 60s and is far from a bimbo. Name calling is truly unnecessary.
With that said, your description of our breakfast, among other things, is very inaccurate. The bread, bagels, danishes, muffins, etc. are all kept properly to health department code. Our milk is served from a climate controlled dispenser. It is cold 24/7 due to the refrigerated dispenser. I am sorry if it did not seem to be cold, but I assure you that it is maintained properly. Also, our breakfast is exactly as advertised. We have two types of hot meat, biscuits, gravy, fresh waffles, hard boiled eggs, three types of fruit, yogurt, bagels, white and whole wheat bread, danishes, honey buns, three types of cold cereal, instand oatmeal and grits, whole and 2% milk, coffee, hot tea, and three types of juice. This is our breakfast, every day. We are up to date with our inspections for both the health department and corporate. Our health department rating of 98 is displayed in the breakfast room near the juice machine.