“My food was good, boyfriend's was not”

Big Bob Gibson's Bar-B-Que
Ranked #2 of 159 Restaurants in Decatur
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I loved my pulled pork stuffed baked potato. Sauce was great, too! But boyfriend had tough brisket, very strange colored chicken, and pulverized coleslaw. It was busy, but service was fine. So we are half-impressed.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We are Chicago natives that have relocated to Pelham Alabama, so trying Alabama barbeques has become a favorite hobby. Returning back from visiting relatives up north, we had to stop at Big Bob's to see how it compared to our local favorites near Birmingham.

We decided to try the 4 meat platter of ribs, chicken, brisket & turkey. Our sides were Cole slaw and baked beans. My wife and I both loved the smoked turkey. This was lightly smoked, juicy and delicious. The beef brisket was also moist, tender and as good as any that we have had in Texas. (Now, Texans will certainly claim that we just haven't tasted enough Texas brisket yet, which is probably true. BUT, this was quite delicious!) The ribs were fall-off-the-bone tender and very good. The chicken was OK, but forgettable. We tried each of the sauces, and liked their regular BBQ sauce the best. The white sauce was a watery creamy garlic dressing with lots of ground pepper. OK, but it must be an acquired taste. We also had mixed reviews on the sides. Loved the baked beans, but the pure vinegary taste of the cole slaw was just not our cup of tea.
Big Bob's is just a short hop off I-65 , and when traveling close, we intend to stop here again!

1  Thank Hoosierdaddy0402
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The legendary Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q is located right off 6th Avenue in Decatur. The restaurant itself is very well marked and easy to find. There's plenty of parking around the building. Actually there needs to be. This place does a phenomenal business. Especially at lunch time.

Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q is a homey and comfortable restaurant. It's a seat yourself kind of establishment. Upon entering Big Bog Gibson's my server said in her Alabama accent, "Y'all by yourself hun?" She melted my heart. Wanted to bring my server and the whole restaurant with me back to Oregon. Actually all the staff at Big Bog Gibson Bar-B-Q was friendly, helpful, and accommodating to me. I felt like an honored guest in their home.

The prices here are fair and the proportions are large. On my visit I opted for the combination meat plate. This brought me a half chicken artfully placed on top of a plate of pulled pork. Big Bob Gibson's makes the best Alabama white sauce period. I think I could drink the stuff straight.

My side dish was cole slaw and it was outstanding. Big Bob Gibson's serves up a finely grated cole slaw with two slices of pickle on the top. Alabama makes the best cole slaw and Big Bob Gibson's version was the best I had in Alabama.

At the conclusion of my meal my guts were bursting but I had heard how good the pies are at Big Bob Gibson's Bar-B-Q. At the suggestion of my server I ordered the lemon pie. Best lemon meringue pie I have ever had. The taste still lingers on my taste buds.

If I've ever had a better meal on this planet I sure can't remember when or where. Sometimes the legend does not live up to the hype. In Big Bob Gibson's case it's better!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I ordered the combo plate with ribs and pulled pork. the ribs were literally falling off the bone and the pulled pork plus their own sauce was delicious! I also ordered cole slaw and potato on the side. The coleslaw was prepared without mayo which was great! I liked their cole slaw too! I was not able to finish the combo, the plate was huge!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

My son and I were traveling through the south and trying as many bbq places as we could find along the way. We had stayed overnight in Decatur and when we checked out, we headed to Big Bob Gibson's. I had read about their white sauce and wanted to try it. We got there not long after they opened. I told my son it was a good sign when you could smell that wonderful smoky smell as soon as you got out of your car. We both had the pulled pork platter and tried the white sauce and loved it. I can truthfully say this is the first time I have ever eaten pulled pork for breakfast...but I'm sure it won't be my last. If you love to try different types of bbq and sauces stop in here and give it a try.