“Beautiful new rooms”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Decatur
Castle Rock, Colorado
“Beautiful new rooms”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

The hotel is currently going through a remodel with the 3rd and 4th floors completed. The new rooms are very nice and comfortable for the business traveler. They include a very comfortable bed and TONS of electrical outlets. Like with all new Courtyards, there is now a breakfast area that you can purchase food, coffee, and alcohol throughout the day. The hotel staff went above and beyond to help resolve a minor maintenance issue with my room.

So why 4 stars?
There appears to be minimal soundproofing around the plumbing for the showers. On both mornings of my stay I was woken up by the neighbor taking a shower at 5:30am. Also, I’m still a little sad about Courtyards push away from the free breakfast.

Overall, the experience as far better than I expected and the Courtyard Decatur is definitely a hidden gem in a difficult to stay city.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Just stayed at the Marriott while in town for a lacrosse tournament and enjoyed my two-night stay. We were greeted quickly and found the room to be large and comfortable.
The lobby and bistro were nicely decorated and up-to-date and the service from the staff was wonderful and accomodating. One thing i did notice was that the Bistro prices seemed a bit on the high side for most families which is why we found food options outside of the restaurant.
Walking distance to Logan Steakhouse from hotel....$5.00 off coupon of $20.00 or more can be used if you log on to Logan's website and join their free diners club. They will email you the coupon.

All in all - a great weekend at the Marriott, large tv and clean room made the stay relaxing and enjoyable!! Would be even better with a reasonably priced breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Ask for the AAA rate---was able to get an additional $10 off the regular room rate.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Melissa W
Riverview, Florida
Reviewed June 15, 2014

The staff was very friendly during all interactions I had with them. The bistro is nice - I only had breakfast there, but it was good. The lobby is very bright and colorful. The second floor room where I stayed was not updated - the air conditioner was a little loud, but managed the temperature control well. The shower pressure in the room was great and the bed was comfortable. The hotel served me well for my week stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank tigtraveling
Decatur, Alabama
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We decided to pay a little extra to stay somewhere a little nicer, we weren't sorry. The evening desk staff was spectacular and really made us feel welcome. She placed us on the newly renovated 4th floor. After conversing with her, I felt that she specifically placed us there so that we could get the best benefit of our stay. The room was perfectly clean as well as the bathroom. Bed and pillows were comfy, fabulous considering most hotel quality pillows. Two things disappointed me, the lobby and halls were extremely warm and there was no free breakfast. Both things were minor and I didn't feel they affected my overall opinion.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Tinkerrabbit
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

This is a wonderful place to stay. The front desk staff is very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are typical Courtyard quality meaning clean, great bed, good shower, and very important to me- AC unit that has a button for constant fan so you do not have to endure the on/ off cycle. Some rooms have a balcony that is great to relax and enjoy early morning coffee in cool morning air. The lobby has been completely renovated along with addition of bar and Bristo. The colors are bright and cheerful and common areas roomy and comfortable. The rooms are also being renovated so soon everything in the hotel will be new again. Great place to stay with fair rates.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JeanP777
Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed April 18, 2014

By the time you read this, there will be a Bistro in the lobby. Rather annoyingly for me they were in the last stages of training for it, and the grand opening is tonight; the day I check out!

Courtyard is known for their Bistro, but not all properties yet have them. It's certainly a nice thing to have; simple and convenient access to food and drink that similarly priced hotel chains don't always have. So this will be a welcome addition to the property.

The rooms are essentially last generation furniture and decor, which if you've stayed in a newer Courtyard does make this one feel just a little dated.

The staff were friendly and pleasant. The rooms were clean and housekeeping about what you'd expect.

The three biggest beefs I had with the hotel were the heating and cooling system, the refrigerator, and the Internet.

Sadly, this is one of those Marriott properties where not all the rooms have refrigerators. The one in my room seemed like it had been moved around from room to room rather a lot. It was noisy, and made a constant clicking noise all day and all night, in addition to the other noises a refrigerator should make. If you're a light sleeper, that could be a problem, as it is located a few feet from the bed.

The heating and cooling system in my room was one of the old fashioned kinds that is programmed from the unit itself rather than a wall thermostat, and didn't have a specific temperature setting. It was just a warmer and cooler knob. This often left the room either too warm or too cold.

The Internet was a complete farce. The speed was variable, but usually slow. Right now I am getting 0.42Mbps, which is well below par, and it's currently 9:35am, long after most business travelers would have typically left the hotel.

I complained about the Internet on the first day, and while I did get a lovely hand written note in my room explaining that the modem had been reset and a tech support number, the speed never really got any better the whole stay. I burned through quite a lot of cellphone data when the wait became too frustrating.

So despite the fact that the staff are friendly, and the property clean. These issues would make me hesitant to rebook at the same hotel. I'd rather stay a little closer to Huntsville, where I'd have more choices and options.

It's not a bad hotel for the town, but it has some issues that need addressing.

Room Tip: Ask about a refrigerator. If you don't need one, you might get a better nights sleep not having...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ZCT808
Jatavius L, General Manager at Courtyard Decatur, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear ZCT808,

I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Courtyard by Marriott in Decatur. Our goal is to deliver great customer satisfaction. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case by your response. Once our room renovation is complete, all rooms will have the latest Marriott package. All rooms will include a refrigerator too. I apologize that you were having some trouble with our internet service. I wanted to let you know that we have looked into it and our internet service is as strong as it has ever been. Unfortunately, we did not meet your needs the first time but we would love to have another opportunity for you to stay with us again.
When you are ready to make your next reservation please let me know personally

Best regards,

Jatavius Lockhart
Courtyard by Marriott
Fulton, Kentucky
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

We were returning home after an extended trip. We wanted to stay off of I 65 and wanted a Marriott property. It's a bit off of 65, but you will NOT be sorry. Great staff at desk, Rhonda and Jay, were so warm and friendly. They made us feel as if we were expected company. It set the tone for our wonderful stay. The lobby was being renovated which we were made aware of when we made reservations. In order to compensate for this, there was a buffet of pulled pork, baked beans, buns, sauce, fresh salad, and dressing. Lemonade, tea, water, and coffee were available. A full breakfast will be provided in the morning. All of this will be complimentary, because of the renovation. That will be completed by March 24. Also, we were given a coupon for an appetizer at Logan's Roadhouse. The staff here understands the importance of being a part of the Marriott family! We highly recommend driving a few extra miles to stay here! It will be well worth it! We had a great room with King bed and small sofa.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple