“Went yesterday...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wintzell's Oyster House - CLOSED

Wintzell's Oyster House
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Decatur, Alabama
“Went yesterday...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I shouldn't have gotten the broiled Tilapia. I hate season all salt on my food. It's way too salty. I asked for butter and lemon, but...... The chicken fingers my son got were phenomenal! Superb batter! I should have gotten their fried oysters/shrimp plate. They do have the best fried green tomatoes, but only 3 slices/plate for about $8.00-9.00. Ridiculous considering the cost of making them....c'mon now.....fried green tomatoes!!!!

Visited November 2012

Huntsville, Alabama
“Loud and just OK food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is a seafood restaurant and I love seafood, but some of the dishes do not taste fresh. The bar area is very loud with TVs, more like a sports bar. Service is fair, not great and they sometimes forget to bring items you ordered, check your bill. The ones in Mobile, where the restaurant was founded is pretty much the same.

Visited September 2012
Athens, Alabama
“Bring the gulf to my mouth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

OH MY GOODNESS ITS SO GOOD! Shrimp, Oysters, oiled boiled steamed! ANyway you eat it is GREAT! Located on the Beltline in Decatur. Convient to the mall for shopping, Take a rest and enjoy the great seafood from Wintzell's. The basket meals are great you can combo like fish and shrimp. Sweet tea too! NOthing like bringing the Gulf Shores to NOrth AL straight to my mouth! YOu will love it!

Visited March 2012
Decatur, Alabama
“love seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Me and my son go here quite often.. They have excellent baked oysters and great hotwings.. the service isn't the best in the world and the waitresses woulc be more polite been going there since they opened at least once a month and sometimes twice a month

Visited September 2012
Smyrna, Tennessee
“Good food, but no healthy options whatsoever”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

The food at Wintzell's is amazing -- if you don't mind eating unhealthy. Almost everything on the menu is fried. You can get chilled shrimp, but it comes with a side of hush puppies and other heavily-buttered or fried side items.

I've been to Wintzell's once before, and ordered the fried crab cakes, and they were very delicious. This time, though, I'm watching my calories and found it very hard to find anything that fit within my low-fat/low-cal requirements.

I ordered the Low Country Boil, which may be the healthiest thing on the menu, despite featuring a nice helping of kielbasa. It was well-cooked, well-seasoned, served in a paper sack piping hot (the way it should be) and came with lemons to add some extra flavor. It was all very, very good.

The service was good, not excellent. My mother-in-law had to return her iced tea because of a foreign object in the glass. We think it was just a piece of paper from the straw, but that is something that should have been noticed before the drinks were delivered. It took longer than I would have expected to receive our food, and my father-in-law (a frequent Wintzell's customer) commented that it was the slowest they'd ever been while he was there -- and the restaurant wasn't particularly crowded.

All in all, I would revisit Wintzell's, if I didn't mind cheating on my diet or eating something really bad for you that tastes really, really good. But, as long as I'm sticking to healthy options, I will be staying away from this place.

• Visited September 2012