“food good but service scary”
Review of Kyoto Japanese Steak and Sushi - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kyoto Japanese Steak and Sushi
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed April 29, 2012

so my friend told me how good the food was so we go in to eat there. the waitress was ease dropping and got in our conversation, and then told us all the gossip in the place to do with the waitresses, it was so crazy. the food was good, the lunch boxes are only 5 bucks and cheap, kinda overshadowed by the imature wait staff.

1  Thank Cherilyn C

Reviewed January 9, 2012

Love the sushi and bento box lunch. Great lunch specials.

Reviewed July 6, 2011

It's been a while since I've been to Kyoto, but it has been one of my favorite Japanese restaurants. It may not be your typical Japanese steakhouse (I've had a redneck from lawrence county for a cook, but he's been my favorite one yet). I have always had large portions and the food has been great. Most other places I have been to have been more expensive and with much less food. They may have changed some of their pricing, but they used to always provide generous portions and include lo mein and rice with each meal. Every customer's experience is different though, so give it a try and you may not be disappointed.

Reviewed October 13, 2010

Boy did we have high expectations for this restaurant..

Well....We were in Decatur, AL and the four of us wanted some Japanese food. We were going to drive to Huntsville and eat at either Tokyo or Shogun where we KNOW the food is good. But at the last minute we search for Japanese restaurants in the Decatur, AL area and Kyoto is the only one we could find. We were all like that would be fine because none of us had EVER eaten at a sub-par Japanese restaurant. Most have a standard they seem to go by. Now I'll be the first to say some have always been better than others but they have always been GOOD.....until NOW.

This was ANOTHER instance were we should have turned around right after we walked in the door. First...you know the little pond you walk over at the entrance to most Japanese-type restaurants? Well THIS one had about an inch of water in it along with dirt and a few struggling fish! It was NASTY... SECONDLY...Most restaurants of this type have their employees dress to a certain standard? HA! No uniforms here! I couldn't believe it.. But we were all willing to give it a try...mistake..

The waitresses were actually about average or slightly less. Nothing to do at this type of restaurant other than refill drinks though. The COOK on the other hand was a different story! Most Hibachi cooks arrive at tables with a great attitude and are eager to please. This one arrived at our table with a poor disposition and a bad attitude. Don't worry...his finger nails were just as dirty as the the rag he used to wipe his cooking utensils and his demeanor! Never in my life have I had a cook present himself in such a way! It was obvious from the first second he arrived at our table that he could care less about us and his overall physical presentation reeked of management nonchalance!

Our salad was about the size of a small scoop of coleslaw. That's okay because the dressing was the worst tasting ginger dressing I've ever had. The soup was by far the best food item of the whole meal. It was actually pretty good. The rice on the other hand...was terrible. How many have ever complained about Japanese fried rice? Isn't it usually the best and the largest portion served of the whole meal? This rice was cooked for maybe a minute. I don't know if we were served one or two tablespoonfuls of rice(didn't have my magnifying glass handy!) but again that was ok too as the RICE was the worst I've ever had. ALSO...first Japanese restaurant I've see where you pay EXTRA for fried rice! All the while our cook had the most sour disposition I've ever seen and wiping his utensils on the dirtiest dripping rag I've ever seen.. Do I need to go on to tell you that the appetizer shrimp cooked with some type of liquid egg substance was even worse and unlike anything I've ever been served before? Ok..here come the vegetables...SURELY they can't be messed up...and yes they WERE pretty good....both pieces! Then there was the chicken.... I thought chicken was either white or dark meat not grey! Needless to say...our chicken stayed on our plate!

We were handed our bill...about $40 per couple....If the idea of paying $20 a person for some of the worst food I've ever had served by a cook with the most sour attitude ever then Kyoto Japanese Restaurant may be for YOU! OTHERWISE...you have been WARNED..

5  Thank Chuck61