“Perfect Getaway Dauphin Island, AL”
Review of Dauphin Island

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
conway
1 helpful vote
“Perfect Getaway Dauphin Island, AL”
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Crossing the ocean and coming over the bridge into Dauphin Island was an experience all in itself. We absolutely enjoyed our time there. My husband, myself and our 3 boys stayed at the Gulf Breeze Motel there. It was so clean and oceany feeling:) It was certainly a place to get away from all the hustle and bustle that you normally experience even while on vacation! The people there were so down to earth and super friendly too. With the beach all aound you....what more can a person ask for?

1 Thank kcbbwilker
Fairfield, OH
49 helpful votes
“Undiscovered Dauphin Island”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This was our first visit to Dauphin Island. We loved the practically empty beach and zero crowd factor. The ocean was wonderful to play in.

Our condo at The Inn was gorgeous! Very clean, which is my number one priority. Two nice saltwater pools. Fairly quiet.

Only 2 things were disappointing.
1) There are very few places to eat on the island or nearby. We did take the ferry to Gulf Shores one day, but is isn't cheap.

2) A total tourist trap boat excursion. We paid to go out on The Duke. Complete waste of our time and money. Don't do it. I sent a letter of complaint to harbormaster when we returned home.

Island Rainbow Pizza and the grill at the corner gas station were our two best food finds.

The Estuarium and the Fort were fun to visit.

1 Thank Ellie B
Woodville, Alabama
7 helpful votes
“dauphin island mosquitos- beware!”
Reviewed October 4, 2009

we have been staying at dauphin island every yr for 4 yrs now.
last 2 yrs were very disappointing.. last yr a storm had came through and messed the island up on the week before our visiting couldn't get our house we reserved so we had to be transferred to a condo at no discount on the price, and the parking garage was flooded.. we were disappointed with dauphin island real estate for doing this to us after staying with them several yrs in a row. and swapping us at the last minute to the condo (that had a flooded parking garage). the trip ended up being nice overall though.
this yr we did go back again and we were disappointed again, we were on the west end where we usually stay "spaniard"
and the mosquitos were so bad that with bug spray they would still bite you, we couldn't even stay at the beach house if we were outside, we planned most of our outings away from the west end of the island because of the mosquitos. we ended up with bites on top of bites by the end of the week.. and the bed in the mastere suite squeaked "loud" everytime you turned over during the night. it was very disappointing this time and last.
we will be planning our week of vacation at a different location this yr...
i will close with this compliment to dauphin island the beaches are very nice..

4 Thank meredithc430
Wilmer, Alabama
3 helpful votes
“Dauphin Island”
Reviewed September 12, 2009

This is a nice place to sit and relax open all year round.
This place is off US Highway 193 Just S of Bayou La Batre
you can see the entire bay front of mobile and also the shipping lanes to Gulf Shores,and Orange Beach.
No Lifeguards on Duty

3 Thank kylea0470
St. Petersburg
27 helpful votes
“Dauphin Island, Alabama - Laid Back & Fun”
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We just returned from a famiy reunion at Daulphin Island, Alabama. At Dauphin Island you look out over at least 23 offshore natural gas rigs. This bothered me at first, but then I grew used to the view. It was pretty at night, as the rigs are all lit up, and we enjoyed watching the helicopters visit the rigs.

Everything is laid back on the island. You can sun, swim, walk, rent scooters, & fish. Be aware that a lot of businesses are closed on Mondays & Tuesdays.

On Sunday we discovered the Lighthouse Bakery. We loved their sticky pecan buns. However, it is closed Mondays & Tuesdays.

Our beach walks were nice. We loved walking the quiet area in front of the fishing pier.

We caught lots of small sharks, but we never saw a big shark.

We stayed at the Beach Club condominium. We had the 4 bedroom unit. It was spacious and pretty clean. The pools did seem to need some attention though. Lots of sand in the pools, and I never saw them vacuum it out.

Definitely do your shopping before you get to the island. I heard that we should go to Walmart, but we missed the turn and ended up at Greer's Grocery. The prices were much higher than I expected. I wished that I hadn't missed my Walmart turn.

When we left, we took the 9:30 a.m. ferry to Ft. Morgan. It was well run and prompt.

If we return to Dauphin Island, it will be for the family reunion. While travelling from Fort Morgan to St. Petersburg, we went through Gulf Shores, Alabama. It seemed to be more of what we would like in a beach vacation.

4 Thank DNicola

Been to Dauphin Island? Share your experiences!