“you have got to be kidding me”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dauphin Island
Dauphin Island Harbor House
Manville, RI
“you have got to be kidding me”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My adventure with this place simply starts with. "you have got to be kidding me". I have had very bad luck when it comes to hotels so I booked this online and then called to verify and everything was all set for Room 10!.

Now... Upon Arrival Carol was very nice and seemed like she didn't want to tell us the news.... Yep what news you might ask? There was an issue with something and they had to give my room to someone else and that is where it all began...

So she invited me to look at a room that had "twin" beds in it. That would have been great considering it was a night out with my wife! NOT! So then she moved us into a room that was not cleaned yet.

We went out for lunch and then went to the fort and came back to find our room was cleaned with the attached pictures. The bathroom still had bits of trash on the floor... and the sink even had no handles on it it had SCREWS.... The room over all had a stink to it....

Fine... Moving past all of the above I took a shower only to feel like the shower was going to fall apart under me. It wasn't too bad and was OK...

Oh I forgot to mention that the shampoo that was included and the bar soap on the sink WERE USED!

I get into bed and LOW and BEHOLD what does my body tell me the KING size bed is nothing but 2 twin size beds PUSHED together! Only difference it was a 2 inch memory foam on it to so after fighting not to fall into the crack while i hold my wife I try to sleep with the 1 pillow that they provided!

Breakfast on the other hand was EH... A scoop of scrambled eggs 2 pieces of bacon some grits and a biscuit, oh yea and 10 pieces of diced up fruit.

I do have to say this was a birthday nightmare and would tell anyone who tries this place NOT to spend the money because this place may have been good 10 years ago when it was new but it looks like it is no longer taken care of correctly and needs to just shut down at this point.

Room Tip: Just avoid this place!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank tunemanbbs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Greensburg, Kentucky
Reviewed April 28, 2013

There were five in our party. We booked two rooms We arrived in a timely manner and an employee greeeted us at the door in a very friendly manner. The "great room " was truely great. and our first breakfast was truely delicious. Down hill from there.

Our rooms were not clean, lovely furniture, bedding very dated. Sand on the floor. The worst happened on our second night. The air conditioning went out in both rooms. In one roon water was leaking in my friends luggage. We reported the problems, went to dinner, came back to the same problem.

Went to breakfast the next morning, everyone else was eating pancakes and strawberries, and whipped cream and we were served eggs and grits again.

The island is lovely. Perhaps you may consider another location to stay in.
The public beah on the west end of the island is great. Restrooms, snacks, snow cones, small entrance fee. Great place for kids.

Room Tip: Perhaps if you are traveling as a couple, a room close to the great room may be advisable. * person...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Susan R
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on Friday of Easter weekend at the time agreed upon. We weren't sure where the front door or main entrance was.( no sign ect.) Ms Carol was friendly and helped with running credit card and giving us the key to room. She then told us that she was leaving for 4-5 days on holiday but that George would be there.
We found our room on our own and settled in. The door locks need some updating as well to be secure. We then tried to figure out the Hvac. Still don't know if there was AC or not. The windows open to let in fresh air and that was nice.The bathroom was small but adequate and could use a bigger shower or shower door instead of a curtain. The bed needed new pillows but it slept ok.The deck was the best part of the accommodations. It had a great view of Mobile Bay and other than the safety issues of the railing leaning and nails sticking out of boards it was a nice place to sit and soak up sunshine,eat lunch or watch a passing storm.
Breakfast was from 8-9 am and was very good.
We would probably stay again but only for a couple of nights as the room was small and there was no place to sit except on the bed.
I would recommend for a short stay.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank suzanneo532
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My family and i stayed here for our vacation and we loved it. very nice room and owner. ms carol went of her way to help us. We came as guests and are leaving as friends. Even the other guests were very kind. we will be back every vacation. Breakfast was awsome as well. ty ms carol.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank johnslady05
Ellisville, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We decided on a wim that we wanted a mini vacation we woke up packed our bags and realised we didn have anywhere to stay. i called a few places but they were all booked up, so I looked online to see if maybe there were any onther places on the island to stay that might be in our price rang and i came accross the Dalphin House. I called the Dalphin House and asked about they're prices it was only 98 dollars that inclueded tax for a night n i was sold. my husband was worried it being so cheap that it would be like a roach motel but it wasnt it was VERY nice and the lady was so welcoming. There was really no check in or check out time i felt like i was staying with family everone was so friendly. i would recomend this place for couples it was a great place to stay. we will defenatly be going back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Janiece S
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Since we missed the ferry at the end of the day, we decided to stay at the Dauphin House to catch the ferry the next morning. The house is beautiful, our room was very nice, very comfortable beds. Carol is very friendly & helpful, suggested several places for us to have dinner as well as providing a lovely breakfast. My only disappointment was that the WiFi was not working but all in all, a good choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Eileen G
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We spend one week at this B & B and our stay was so pleasent that we didn't want to leave... Carol makes us every day happy with the delicious breakfast, the good recommendations to visit and great chatting!
Our room was big and comfortable with a great view to the sea. Carol asked us every day want we want to do in our room to feel more comfortable. She is an excellent host!!!

• Stayed February 2013
#13 of 24 in Gulf Shores
Key West Inn
Key West Inn
#3 of 4 in Fairhope

Been to Dauphin Island Harbor House? Share your experiences!