“Lots of Beach!”

Dauphin Island Public Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Once we found the beach the parking was $5. The walk to the beach was long through thick white sand, so if you have lots of stuff, bring a cart. There was plenty of room to stretch out and a huge tidal pool the kids could explore it. If you fished there was a large bay on the back side of the dunes or just walk down the two miles of beach to find a spot to cast. I wasn't keen on the view of the 16 Oil Rigs I counted, or the amount of trash on the beach. Not a lot but definitely enough to keep you busy all day if you tried to clean it up. Two sets of Sheriffs patrolled on horses when we were there, I don't know if that is a routine thing though.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

You do have to pay to park but it's VERY reasonable compared to close by Florida. They have things you can get from food to tubes to float around in which is cheap and neat too. Water on some days can be crystal clear out as far as 6 feet. However, what absolutely ruins this place are the fisherman. They are nice usually don't get me wrong but they are EVERYWHERE it's impossible to swim for the fear of hooks or sinkers hitting you. If you think I'm exaggerating then I urge you to go see for yourself If I had kids I def would be worried about them getting stuck. I spent 6 months in Mobile and I'm so glad to be in South Florida.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

i was concerned by poor reviews before our trip but when we got to our beach house and saw how beautiful the beach was i was confused. later in the week i walked waaaay down to the condos and the free public beach. it was in the evening and people had left trash everywhere. disgusting. so sad that people will trash such a beautiful place. carry in, carry out people!! i do not know if it was cleaned up because i did not return!!

2  Thank weijers1
Reviewed July 13, 2014

What a beautiful view. We suggest you brave the long walk and enjoy one of the best beach views ever. The staff was very friendly. If you see some trash, don't complain, just pick it up. The beach is not dragged like some so it is in a more natural state.

2  Thank Danelle D
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Upon approaching the island my expectations were peaking, but I found a packed parking lot and a long trudge out to the water's edge. It was a slight let down but the water was clear enough to see fish and shellfish below the water's surface. Everyone witnessed something larger not to far out. The consensus said it was a dolphin but my wife insists it was a shark. Later two girls walked across the beach carrying a baby shark, deceased. So overall it was exciting. The grounds keepers were invisible , the rules regarding leashes and glass containers were not applied, not to mention the girls carrying dead wildlife. I have video and photo proof. This beach is better than any in Louisiana and cleaner than Billoxi. I was here July 4th & 5th, and Billoxi on the 6th. Dauphin Island is worth the drive plus the ferry can get you over to Gulf Shores.

3  Thank Josh G