“I want to hate it, but I can't.”
Review of Five Guys

Five Guys
Ranked #10 of 96 Restaurants in Daphne
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Foley, Alabama, USA
“I want to hate it, but I can't.”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

These Guys proudly profess their use of average, everyday storebought brands, like Kraft mayo and cheese and A.1. Steak Sauce. Stuff you can buy in the store, stuff you can use yourself to make a burger like this.

But some way, some how, this rises above home made to be something a little bit better. Burgers are highly customizable, the fries can be good when they're made properly (which is hit and miss at all Five Guys I've been to) and the atmosphere is bright and bustling. Oh, and they have what I call the "Magic Coke Masheen" for making custom drink mixes. Not only that, but this one has Pibb Xtra instead of Dr. Pepper, so I get my personal favorite cherry Pibb. Yum!

• Visited October 2013

Mobile, Alabama, United States
“BEST HOTDOG AND FRIES”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My daughter took me to Five Guys in Daphne, Alabama and we had a wonderful time. The food was great and plentiful. The family atmosphere was great. Love it. Took my other daughter back a second time. The kids had the hamburgers and said they were excellent also. Will go back often. The price is good and the hot dog is actually a polish sausage. Wish I had one now.

• Visited August 2013
Fairhope, Alabama
“Awesome burger and fries.”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

What can I say. A burger with just about anything you want on it. Enough fries to choke a mule! Roasted peanuts to munch on while you wait and they have the new coke machines with 1000 different flavors. Which is a negative when you get behind someone that has never used one before! Not a bad deal at all.

• Visited March 2013
Palmetto, Florida
“What's Grey, Unpleasant Unless Fully Dressed and Sports Soggy Misshapen Buns?”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

No, it’s not Adult Swim at the Farley Hills Country Club.
It’s the sandwiches at Five Guys Burgers and Fries in Daphne, Alabama.

I’m beginning to think it’s something in this Gulf Coast air because I’ve had great burgers at Five Guys locations in D.C. and outside of Orlando.
But not here.

The eternal plat du jour consisted of two patties smaller than Steak N Shake burgers and with zip zilch nada seasonings. Prob’ly they expect the 42 pounds of salt on the fries is enough to create a fatal electrolyte imbalance so why bother with the burger?

Did I make my usual plaintive request at the counter for a burger ‘juicy but not raw and please not shoe leather’? Of course I did.
And what was the response from the young gent with the natty facial hair?
-Sorry, we cook them all the same.

One size fits all. Blech. And some of the meat crunched. And some of the meat bounced. Just so unpleasant. See, the best way to judge a burger is to reduce it to its simplest form.
Unfettered by semi-liquid toppings and vegetarian additives, you can really see what’s getting into you.

And why in the name of all that’s edible do they wrap completed burgers in aluminum foil so even if you eat them within three minutes, the steam has turned the dough into a disgusting compressed mass of congealed wheat, yeast and albino tick-like growths?

It’s enough to send you out for a pizza, really it is.

But I will say one thing for this Five Guys franchise, it certainly reminds me of Paul McCartney’s grandfather in ‘A Hard Day’s Night.’
It’s very clean.

• Visited July 2013

Been to Five Guys? Share your experiences!