“Great food & value-not much for atmosphere”
Review of Samurai J - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Samurai J
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
“Great food & value-not much for atmosphere”
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful sushi and squid salad! Prices are very reasonable also. Plain atmosphere with little decor and service is good. Not the surroundings of say Stix but the food is very good. You are there to eat though right? :)

2 Thank Familyfunforfive

Daphne, Alabama
“Slow service”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We ate here with our kids, and our service was so slow, I was afraid the kids were going to take down our booth before the food came. Our sushi was fine, but there were only 2 people working and the place was packed. I totally understand that 2 people can only do so much, but our experience was not that fun.

Daphne, Alabama
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Sushi”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I just love Samurai J, everything I have tried has been so delicious, my favorite is the Volcano Roll!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank KNow589
robertsdale, al
“Terrible sushi and service”
Reviewed October 17, 2010

I heard so many good things about this place and finally decided to try it, bad idea. We walked in and the place is in an ok location but is a little small. None the less the first thing i noticed was a blond woman making the sushi and I am not generally particular who is making my food as long as its good but i was a little leary, i should have trusted my gut and left. The service was bad we saw our server twice once to take our order and once to bring us our food server never asked how our food was until we were finished. we ordered 3 rolls 1 raw and 2 tempura, now i love raw fish but when we got the rolls it was supposed to be white tuna. I'm not sure if it had turned or just poor quality but it was slimy and tasted like cod, the filling was ok but overall quality was just bad. The other two rolls were ok but nothing special, especially not what i imagined from the description. I have visited most of the sushi restraurants in baldwin county and this is by far one of the worst! I will never go back, just my opinion though.

foley
“sushi lover”
Reviewed September 16, 2009

I moved to the area 10 years ago and have to admit I was going through shushi withdrawral. FINALLY Samurai J opened. Needless to say I was sceptic aboout a truly good restrauntin Alabama. Boy did they prove me wrong.....it brought me right back to Boston, New York, and Washinton DC I wish I could say the same about the autpouring of new sushi restraunts that feel if they deep fry some sort of roll and smother it with some sort of sort of spicy mayonaise sauce people will like it. It saddens me that people view this a sushi. i was in a restraunt asking for a spider roll -----simple enough because there was no way i was going to try their sashimi. This was a few years ago and this place located in the eastern shore shopping center actually allowed smoking at the bar where the sushi was being made........YUCK WE HAD TO LEAVE. i always feel that a restraunt deserves a second chance so my husband and I went there after teh smoking band, Needless to say everything was still deep fried even though we asked against it. I mean who would find the need to fry a spicy tuna rool. I even asked for the spicy mayonaise to be rolled in the roll. Well once again we came out with deep fried unidentifiable by looking at it whos entree was whos because they were both deep fried something we emplored they not do, and to make things worse there was so much mayonaine sauce all over our rolls it was to say the least disgusting. we left. Althouh i feel bad aout not ordering the fried (my favorine next to green tea ice cream with sweetened redbeed sauce) -but they looked like they had never heard about it. it is a very popular desert in major japaneese restaunt, Sorry i digress from the fried ice cream i was horrified that it would come out with some mayonaise sause all over it. Needlessto say i will never eat at this restraunr again. I know why they do well with american diners because they dont know the true joy of a wonderful japanese restraunt.

2 Thank fairhopeartist