“Great spot between STL and Destin”

Holiday Inn Express Cullman
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Cullman
Indiana
“Great spot between STL and Destin”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We picked up our son at SIUC and Cullman is about halfway to Destin. The Holiday Inn Express in Cullman was clean and reasonably priced. The staff was friendly and the free breakfast was great. The woman in charge of the breakfast ran the room like a mother runs her kitchen; always asking if there was anything that she could do for us and offering to help if we wanted to take something with us. After we left, we discovered that we had left a shirt hanging in the closet. We stopped a week later on the way back and it had been turned in to Lost and Found. We got the shirt back and were on our way in a few minutes.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark E
mchoisser, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cullman, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for being a guest at our hotel, and for your review! I'm so glad that we were able to make your visit with us a great one. I will be sure to pass your comments along to our staff. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Georgia
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The hotel room itself was very nice - good spacious rooms, clean bathrooms, comfortable bed. The breakfast bar was more than adequate with a wide selection of morning fare.

The service, though, was badly in need of some basic training. Each time we asked for help we were met with a blank stare, or worse. Joyce and Steve (?) obviously did not want to be bothered. They were on the night shift and each time we saw them, they were either eating ice cream, playing on the computer or watching television.

The day shift folks were more than happy to help and oblige; they were a joy to talk with and very appreciate.

I want to rank this property higher as the rooms were very nice; the staff leave a lot to be desired.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
mchoisser, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cullman, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. While I appreciate knowing that you enjoyed your space, I am extremely disappointed in the impression that some of my staff made on you. This is not the experience I want our guests to have. Please know that I am using your comments to work with both clerks one on one and I will be keeping a very watchful eye on both of them to insure that other guests do not have this same kind of experience. I cannot fix what I do not know is broken, so I am so very appreciative that you have brought this to my attention. If you have any other comments about your stay, I would love to hear them. Please email me directly at hieca@hotmail.com. I too wish that you could have rated our hotel higher. I certainly invite you to visit us again so that we can make your next visit sparkle!
indiana
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were here for an airplane contest. This place was great! Great staff. Great Breakfast. Clean Pool. The internet kept kicking me off but it wasn't a big deal. The only problem I had was with kids who were staying there that were on a ball team. I have an 8yr old and 5yr old and these boys were rough housing in pool all around my kids (which could have been a dangerous situation) Their parents didn't seem to care. My kids were literally sitting on the steps staying out of the way and they literally were still hoping over them and running into them. When we said something to a dad he completely ignored us. Very arrogant. At that time, this boy and his dad left so we didn't need to go to manager. It really made me angry. Most of the people from this ball team were kind but this family was not.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! Even though some of your fellow travelers were not very respectful, I'm so glad that you were able to relax and enjoy your time with us. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you in the future!
New Hope, AL
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We were traveling to South Mississippi to visit relatives, and due to a family medical emergency, had to change our plans while we were already on the road. We stopped in Cullman, AL at the Holiday Inn Express to find out about switching our reservations to a hotel near the hospital in the New Orleans area. Beth Green and other staff members went out of their way to help us change the reservations. We didn't have the pleasure of staying with that wonderfully helpful staff, but we surely will if we ever need accomodations while in that area. Thanks, ladies!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
mchoisser, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cullman, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! Reading about the way that my staff went out of the way to help you makes me very proud! This is the kind of service that we strive to give each and every person who walks through our door. I will share your comments with Beth and the rest of the staff to let them know what a great job they've done. I wish you the very best and hope that you will come back to see us when you can visit a while!
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed here just last year and were happy, the room was clean and the the service was good. You can always count on things to change.
I was disappointed in the cleanliness, wear in the bath room( tub had yellow stains on the bottom) the lack of attention to basic bath items, like washcloths, Kleenex was not replaced for two days ( I had to go downstairs and ask for them and I had to go retrieve the washcloths and towel while my husband waited in the shower!
When I commented to the night manager I was told that they were very busy and housekeeping was doing the best they could.
This response is NOT acceptable for the price we paid.
On the up side the staff in the breakfast room was very friendly, helpful and delightful to talk to.
The next trip visiting relative will not be spent here.
If you do stay here make sure you request a room away from the lights below the breakfast area. The lights stay on all night..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. In reading your comments, it looks like we failed to deliver the kind of service you have come to expect from our hotel. This is not the experience I want our guests to have. Please know that I have shared your comments with my staff and we are taking action to see that the problems you mentioned are corrected. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! We wish you the very best!
Douglas, GA
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Nice hotel overall, well managed and professional staff. Older Holiday Inn Express that is probably due a new renovation. There were a couple eye soars in my room because the bathroom handle in the shower had a bad fiberglass fix job and the towel hanger wasn't level. Also the bathroom tub took forever to drain. I didn't pay for this stay as a work colleague of mine did instead, but here they are high. I usually stay at the Comfort Suites here since I have a better discount with them. Comparing this hotel to other Holiday Inn Express's of this caliber I'd say the rate should be in the $75 to $90 range, but like I said not exactly sure what their actual rate is, but based on other reviews it is much higher.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank wofiii
mchoisser, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cullman, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! It is interesting that you mentioned a renovation because this is the year for us! We are renovating our hotel in stages throughout this year - floor to rafters. Our entire property will have a fresh new look this time next year. We are very excited about this and want only the best for our guests. Thank you again and we wish you the very best!
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

There is lots of good in this hotel but lots of bad as well. Excellent breakfast. So-so pool area with some awful screeching noise coming from a closet room off of pool area thats deafening. They said it was a dehumidifier.
The breakfast is wonderful. Best warm gooey cinnamon rolls around and lean crispy bacon. Eggs.. Biscuits. Many other options. The rooms are fairly well appointed but dont expect the suites to have a separate bedroom and living area. One big room with bed and couch.
One really old hateful woman works the desk much of the time that I didnt catch her name.
The exercise room has a decent weight machine and one working treadmill . The other treadmill is a hazard ( it randomly jerks to a stop on its own) and I got hurt on it. Its not an emergency feature just random.

We got in one night and didn't realize they'd given us a smoking room. It was the worst smoking room I have ever walked into. I cleaned the a/c filter which was filthy.. Sprayed a 1/4 bottle of Dolce & Gabbana trying to make it not choke us. Still didnt help much. Went to Walmart and bought a scent warmer and febreeze and saturated the furnishings and went for a swim came back up and was able to make it thru the night.
Theres one guy there who is really nice who said he does the decorating etc. who was working at one point the desk. He is the only employee there who is not plain hateful.

I cannot believe the stench of the smoking area rooms. They wont allow pets but thats acceptable?! They moved us to a non smoking room on the same floor next day and the scent is still kinda bad. I say make this place 100% non smoking or keep the smoking rooms all on one floor and make one end of smoking hall pet friendly.
I have a 5 lb dog that usually travels with me cleaner than most humans and would never cause the damage that smoke does. When I pay 150.00 a night in Podunk Cullman .. I do not expect to smell smoke from my nonsmoking end of hall. It would appease me somewhat if I could had my pup on the other end with me. I expect give/take compromise when traveling with my pet. But they make exceptions for nasty killing cigarettes. But not your pet.

In all its overpriced for what you get. The furnishings look very nice but the beds are hard. Its convenient in location. Pool is small and never stocked with towels. As I said a very mixed bag.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank kaydayFL
mchoisser, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cullman, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. My staff and I spoke to you several times during your visits, and I will take your comments under advisement. Since you personally booked a smoking room via your mobile app and arrived after the hotel was full, it is unfortunate that you had to stay one night in a smoking room. Please accept my apologies that the room we were able to move you into the next day did not meet your expectations either. We are glad, however, to know that you enjoyed our breakfast bar. Thank you again and I wish you the very best.