“New direction for Recife dining.”
Review of Thaal Cuisine - CLOSED

Thaal Cuisine
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Carlsbad, California
“New direction for Recife dining.”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

I am an American married to a Brazilian that has been coming to Recife for nearly 20 years. This was our first visit to Thaal, on the recommendation of several Brazilian friends that know that I like nice restaurants. Here is my summary of positive and negative elements of our dinner last night:

The Good:
+The building and decor were very cool/artsy
+The dishes were creative and for the most part very good (we had the Gaviteiro, Tabuleiro and Kirimi dishes, along with the dessert sampler and two bottles of wine)
+The AC worked well and the restrooms were clean.

Needs Work:
-The first thing I saw when I walked in the restaurant was either a single patron or an employee asleep across a table (bad first impression)
-At first, the staff was very stuffy and unfriendly - they were attentive but never smiled, which made us uncomfortable (some warmed up by the end of the evening)
-The wine was relatively warm, which is not good for a climate such as this (they need a wine cooler) - tasted fine but I prefer my reds to be cool (not cold)
-The chairs at our table were uncomfortable
-The menus were beat up/taped together

Overall, our meal cost the same as mid-level restaurant in a big city in the states. We knew it was supposed to be expensive by Brazilian standards but I think we were satisfied with the ultimate cost/value. I will not go back on this trip (bit of a "special occasion" type of restaurant), but I will probably come back next time I'm in town.

PS - formal atmosphere that would probably not work with kids.

Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil
“Off the beaten track”
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Food is very good. Definitly not touristy, away from Boa Viagem and Recife Antigo. Don't expect an open table upon arrival on week ends: full of discerning locals. Expedite service. Was taken care by Vania at the varanda.

1 Thank Monterosa51
Gueiros
“Good contemporary food.”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Something close, but not exactly the same as the best contemporary in town. The food is really good and could definitely be served in a high standard New York, London or Paris restaurant. If you are in the north of the town, that's probably the best you can get without bothering to drive south. If you try the restaurant for the first time, please remember to ask for the ''Gaveteiro'' entree and the surprise ''color of the day'' desert. Definitely worth all of the calories.

• Visited May 2012