“Not for me!”

Book In Advance
More Info
$68.75*
and up
Half-Day Tour: Oficina Francisco Brennand and Ricardo Brennand Institute plus...
Ranked #1 of 220 things to do in Recife
Reviewed April 15, 2014

It is a very okay place to spend your day if you dont have anything else on your schedule. Went here with my girlfriend and a friend of hers and i was more busy entertaining them and myself..hehe. A beautiful place, but anything with art doesnt really draw my attention. Would recommend this place to those who are interested though!

1  Thank PatrickWH

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Travelbook.de
8  Thank Peter B
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Brennard's works aren't to everyone's taste, but I am glad I didn't miss seeing his creations! He is famous and has won various prizes all over the world. If you are already in or near Recife, I would go.

3  Thank annarc6
Reviewed March 7, 2014

An interesting collection of fine art from many periods. The setting for all of the art is in a medieval looking castle. The collection contains Rodin, Botero, as well as Dutch and Asian masters and overall has a surprisingly European feel. It was very surprising to see a medieval type castle in the midst of the tropical setting of Brazil, and even more so to see that it was filled with a huge collection of medieval weapons and relics.

5  Thank Luke E
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Some Brazilian friends of ours in Recife invited us to visit the Instituto Ricardo Brennand on the last Tuesday of the month. They said it was free then, Which turned out to be true, but we've been to one museum here that was two rooms and maybe 18 paintings. So we weren't expecting much and I didn't have time to research it. We rode for about a half hour, switching buses, and got off. We walked through a typical Brazilian poor neighborhood with the sidewalks all buckling and falling apart for about six blocks and was glad it wasn't dark. I really wasn't expecting the museum to be much. I mean, this was a crowded part of the city. . .how big could the building be that housed the museum, and what could it hold?

Suddenly the crowded buildings stopped and we all stood with our mouths gaping. Ahead of us, stretching for a kilometer, was a brick road lined with 300 trees. A little topless trolley picked us up and dropped us off at a castle on a 77 acre landscaped estate. I felt like I had been dropped into a different world. . .primarily the 1600s and 1700s when the Dutch were in Recife. This museum holds one of the largest collections of arms and armory in the world, not to mention beautiful statues, some original, some copies (Michelangelo's David greeted us) , 1/10th of the collection of Franz Post paintings, and life- sized images. The museum is a combination of the Tower of London, the Louvre, Versailles, and the Rodin museum.

Click on "Virtual Tour" on the bottom of the official site to get a preview of this amazing museum that was built by the Englishman Richard Brennand in 2000 to house his vast collections.

8  Thank DPaulsenD