Hotel Aconchego Recife
Hotel Manibu Recife(Recife)(Great Value!)
$56
$72
$63
$59
  • Pool
$78
$73
Pousada Villa Boa Vista(Recife)(Great Value!)
$67
$49
Hotel ibis Recife Boa Viagem(Recife)(Great Value!)
$46
  • Restaurant
$65
$49
$78
$75
$75
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here about 20 years ago on my first visit to Brazil. It was recommended in the Rough Guide then - it may still be. It's small, being long and narrow but is comfortable and reasonably priced. It's a street or two back from the beach in a nice area of Recife.

We got about by bus when we were there and had no problems although the relative poverty of the North-East of Brazil became obvious when you left the modern Boa-Viagem area where the Hotel is. I can also recall a couple of classic South-American local bus journeys here complete with chickens and urchins. Urchins were a bit of a problem then too. For better or worse much of that may have gone now.

The historic centre of Recife, then run down, has since had a "Covent Garden" treatment and perhaps it's poverty is less in your face now than it was and indeed the country generally has come a long way in the last 22 years.

I'm surprised to see that the hotel does have a fair few negative reviews, one or two of those refer to cockroaches and seem to be by Brazilian's from the cooler south of the country. Now I don't recall seeing a cockroach in the Hotel while I was there but Recife is seriously tropical. It's hot and humid. My (Brazilian) wife however has an antenna for them and I can recall her being startled once or twice having spotted one or two while walking around the streets of Recife.

I would guess that some problem with wildlife is inevitable in a low rise hotel like this in a place like Recife.

Of course management may have changed more than once since we were there, however the character of the place looks roughly the same.

I would stay there again, even though we can perhaps afford a bit more upmarket now, and can only say that we enjoyed our stay here and were not disappointed in any way with this Pousada.

Room Tip: Others have said rooms near the laundry are bad news for noise and heat (although bedrooms had air-con even in 1990). Cockroaches may like the extra heat and humidity from the laundry too .....
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Good ambience, cosy restaurant (24/7!), friendly staff, some even speak English! Nicely located near the beach and big shopping mall.
Rooms near loundryroom can be a bit noisy.
Tourist agency in the hotel, which is very nice!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 5, 2012

There are so many disappointing/awful things about this hotel that I am almost at a loss as to where I should start. I will try and give everyone a complete and precise list of the flaws:

The bed:
- Lumpy and Uneven, offering the unique experience of sleeping at an angle to the customer.
- The sheets and mattress contained several mysterious stains.
- The queen bed is actually two single beds pushed together with queen sized sheets fixed over them...a large, hard wooden division runs up the middle of the beds.

The room:
- The musty smell overwhelms you once you first enter the room. If you have allergies, this hotel is a death trap. If you don't have allergies, it just smells awful.
- As other have mentioned, it is, indeed, noisy because of the hotel's layout. Guests and staff can be easily heard all hours of the day and night.
- Dingy rooms. This part is a bit harder to explain. Although the maids do give a perfunctory pass through daily, the rooms have an engrained filth that will never come out. The best example I can give you is to imagine a used child's stroller. No matter what you do to the stroller (scrub it vigorously with a cleaning agent, etc.), after a few years of use, some stains and dirt will just never come out. These rooms are similar. Due to past neglect, they are permanently dingy.
- The A/C. The room does have A/C and it works well. The only problem is it is permanently pointed to the bed. I love A/C and it is absolutely essential in Recife, but, for anyone who is very familiar with A/C, they will know that having it blowing directly on you all night is not great. You may wake up with a stuffed nose, etc.

The restroom:
- The shower is one of the cheapest electric showers available in Brazil. Settings are summer, winter and off. The problem with this type of shower is that its' warm setting (winter) actually shoots out cold and warm water, rather than mixing them together beforehand. This results in an outer circle of lukewarm water with a cold water center. Some people who come from colder climates might not mind as much. For me, 70 degree weather (which is about avg in winter in Recife) is pleasant but not warm enough that I am willing to take a cold shower. It also has very weak water pressure.
- The shower head is disgusting. I would assume it has never been cleaned. Should you find yourself in this forsaken place, don't look to closely.
- The water is disgusting. The water has an off-color, smells bad and tastes awful. Again, I would assume that their water storage has never been cleaned. This also makes brushing your teeth an unpleasant chore.
- The bathroom is cramped, similar to a narrow corridor. How cramped? Well, I am 5'10" and when I sat on the toilet my knees would hit the opposite wall. Not comfortable.
- The purported amenities are small, cheap bars of generic hotel soap. No shampoo, so be prepared if you plan on washing your hair.

The insects:
- There are many mosquitoes in Recife. The bathroom window does not actually close, it only has wooden shutters which are permanently open to the outside. The result? Mosquitoes will enter your room all night. A/C and closing the bathroom door will help, but since nothing in the hotel really closes without leaving some gaps, you will still have to contend with mosquitoes in your room.
- Bed bugs...yes, they have those as well.
- Cockroaches. During the last night of my stay, 5 different cockroaches scuttled under my door and into my room while I was watching TV. I managed to smash them and get them all out with the aid of a sneaker, but, this was a disturbing trend. In the end, I stuffed a towel into the gap under the door, much like a college student trying to hide the smell of pot. The result? I awoke at 5am to the sound of cockroaches scuffling along just above my head on the headboard. This did not sit well with me. Oh yes, they are also the flying kind...and they are huge.

The "restaurant":
- Sun-cured beef is very popular in Recife. Because of the process, it has a flavor very similar to slightly rotting, salted beef. I personally find it to be disgusting, but other people love it. Why am I bringing this up? Virtually any protein you order seems to be made on the same grill/griddle as the "Carne de Sol" and they don't seem to clean it in between different proteins. So, get ready for everything tasting like Carne de Sol. If you like the stuff, perhaps you are thinking "great"! If you don't like it however...ugh. Other highlights: rotten lettuce in my sandwich, mystery mush under my fries, etc.
- Service is lazy, but friendly.

OK, that is everything I can think of at the moment. I am sure there is more, but this gives you a good idea. Safe travels!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank nascimen15
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I have been in Recife several times now and the city has clearly got a problem with its hotel capacity. It is very difficult to find a good hotel for an affordable price in this city. Keeping this in mind,t he Hotel Aconchego is a good option in Recife. It is relatively near the airport (taxi 12 reais) and near the beach. Staff is very friendly ans speaks English. The 10 Reais for a better room are worth it because the cheap rooms are in front of the bar/swimming pool area and there are very noisy people early in the morning and late at night.
There were several things I didn't like, but like I said, it's not like you have too many decent options in Recife under US$ 100, so I will probably go back:
Wifi only in swimming pool area. It is free, but forget privacy or silence around you.
Rooms are in need of refurbishment! Very noisy airco, poor bathroom.
Breakfast... could be better!! Not too many options.

Room Tip: Pay the extra 10 Reais for a better room. It is worth it!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank georginamg
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Aconchego in Recife for one night with our children. We chose it because it seemed to be relatively close to the airport and not too expensive. Another plus for us was that they have rooms that fit in five beds (even though with not much space for anything else), so you can travel with up to three children. And because they (at least so we thought) included the transfer.

What upset us is that although we had asked them in our reservation for transfer airport – hotel – airport, they never pointed out clearly to us that only the transfer to the hotel was included in the price, not also the one from the hotel to the airport. So the relatively cheap hotel turned out to be quite expensive when we were asked to pay 50 Reais extra for the 10-minute-drive from the hotel to the airport, one way. We were told we had to pay when we were already back at the airport. We used for this drive the same company that had picked us up at the airport. I repeat, neither the hotel nor the transport company told us in advance that the transfer to the airport had to be paid for extra. We even mentioned to two employees of the transport company while they were picking us up that we would like to be driven back to the airport the next day and that this was included in the hotel price, and they did not correct us (I am sure they knew but were careful not to tell us so we would not go with any other – cheaper - company or driver).

The hotel did mention in one of their confirmation e-mails that our “transfer in” was scheduled, but never explained what exactly that meant, neither did they make clear to us that the transfer from the hotel to the airport had to be organized and paid for extra.

As for the hotel, it is as described in the other reviews: noisy as every room is close to the central patio, which has a pool in the middle and a 24h restaurant/ bar in the space surrounding the pool. Not really a pool to swim in, more to contemplate, as it is not very large and extremely close to the tables and chairs of the restaurant and to the rooms.

The rooms have no views to the street but to the patio or to narrow hallways and walls. We had an “apartamento tipo A” room, in theory the best they have. In the room illumination was dim. There was a TV set, air conditioning and a safe. The bath room was functional but we found a big cockroach in it.

The space between the street and the hotel entrance was packed with parked cars, not empty as in their web page photo. Traffic around the hotel was intense.

The beach Praia da Boa Viagem is about a ten minute walk away.

As for the quality of food, we only had dinner there (not breakfast) as we had to leave early. The dinner was ok, with nice presentation but it looked better than it tasted – it tasted a little ready-cooked (like the ready to use sauces you can buy in the supermarket), not really homemade and not as if it had top quality ingredients. It was not cheap either.

In general we think the hotels in Recife are overpriced. It is the same with this one: even though it is one of the cheaper ones, the price-quality-relationship is bad. Also make sure to organize your transfer back to the airport; the price of the company they work with might not be the best one.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family