“A little disappointed after all the hype!”
Review of Zaranj

Zaranj
Ranked #173 of 4,326 Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The last time I visited this place was 2 years back but the memory lingers on… For the excellent food, service and ambience!!
To be frank I had always sat on the Jong’s side and tried their oriental fare along with the heavenly Zaranji Rann and have been delighted with it!
This time was going to be a rude shock. First the good things:
1. Willing to take a reservation on a Sunday evening
2. Valet parking
3. Took the advance order of the Rann as it usually takes about 30 minutes to serve
4. The service
So, as soon as we entered we were taken to be seated and this was the first time I was sitting on the Zaranj side. The ambience I felt was better on the other side, however no complaints. We were hungry and witching 10 minutes they served us the Rann… And what a bitter disappointment!! It was completely burnt with the meat gone dry and a taste of coal / sand, I don’t know what!! After all that I had spoken about the dish to my family they were surprised at the taste and of course the price of it. We mentioned it to the order taker but there was no action taken on it, which was quite sad.
For the main course we ordered murgh methi malai & kadhai chicken, both of which were excellent. The roomali rotis were also extremely well made. We loved the salad, chutney and papad served as accompaniments.
So here’s my verdict, for the overall steep price, the Rann was a big disappointment, so I am not going back there soon…

Reviewed October 4, 2013

It was a nice restaurant, and the food was indeed very good. It was well located, and the service was excellent. Woudl gladly go back there again nd again

Reviewed September 26, 2013

A very good restaurant, Nice, clean, licensed - and best of all a variety of the best Indian kitchen ... go for a lunch, and a break from the hectic and very hot streets, where traders of all kinds try to sell you everything ... very good and spicy food

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The food is awesome, north Indian cuisine, and the decent look and ambiance ! The service was little not good as the staff were keeping eye on every movement, but i liked the food...as compared to price the food is awesome.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have eaten at Zaranj several times. My experience as far as food is concerned, has always been the same. Other things have given me different experience at different visits.

Let me first talk about the food. The food is simple outstanding. It is served within reasonable time. For those who are from kolkata, would find it to be costly but those who have been to delhi or mumbai, would find it reasonable. A typical dinner for four adults, without alcohol, would cost you around 3000 bucks in Indian Currency. Pick up any item with paneer (cottage cheese) and you would love the way the chef has made it delightful. The indian spices, the cream, the use of butter and milk, the softness of cheese, you would simple love it. Dal (curry) is another item you must try. There are lot of choices in bread. I suggest you don't order all your bread at one go.

Now let me other things.

Location - Even though I am from Kolkata, it was difficult for me to locate it at one go. Though centrally located and established on the main road, the entrance and the name of the restaurant are put up in such a way that you would surely miss it for the first time.

Service - If you go on weekends or sundays, you might have to wait for long hours for your turn to get a place. So make a tele booking and then go. However in our case, even though we did a booking and arrived well before time, they gave preference to those who arrived early at the restaurant, with or without booking.

So that was a disappointment and point of agitation.

On sundays and weekdays you would feel the rush and it is more likely that you would be under pressure to finish your meal quickly.