“a near ripoff at Silver Spring: Mr Chatterjee, you should be aware of this!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mainland China

Mainland China
Ranked #18 of 4,150 Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Buffet, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“a near ripoff at Silver Spring: Mr Chatterjee, you should be aware of this!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

I know Mainland China well, and went there because I wanted to eat reasonably authentic Chinese food in a good ambience: in particular also, because it is one of the few places that serves Peking duck.
While the starters were reasonable (although not great), I was shocked to discover that my 'Peking Duck' (we had ordered half a duck, which costs nearly a thousand rupees) consisted of a few tiny, cold, and already filled pancakes with a minuscule amount of meat, and cucumbers and scallions pre-stuffed in them. As if to act as a filler, we were served bowls of 'duck' soup, supposedly, which smelt like tinned chicken soup with a few floating pieces of boiled meat.
I know my Peking Duck: when I protested that this was NOTHING like Peking Duck should be and that I would report the matter -- sure enough, half a duck was brought to my table and the skin and meat sliced in our presence as it should be (I was asked, do you want the meat? To which I wanted to say, no, I really would prefer it you took the meat back to the kitchen and ate it, which is what you presumably did the last time around). All the condiments and the sauce were brought in separately, and served to us fresh, to be put on the pancakes. Importantly, the quantity of meat was at least 10 times what we were originally served.
Mr Chatterjee, I know that you would have been appalled to see your staff colluding in what was an attempted ripoff. If I had been ignorant of what Peking Duck was, or if I had not been as assertive as I was, I would have been paying nearly a thousand rupees for a meal whose net worth was not more than a hundred, and in additional the taste experience would have been zero (the meat which had been stuffed in the pancakes was not at all crisp, and the condiments were stale, the first time around).

Although in the end I was satisfied with the Peking Duck we were served at my insistence (which proved that your staff do indeed know how to make and serve one), I am still in shock at the fact that the manager (presumably) and some of the staff are trying to make money fraudulently by ripping individual customers off.

Although I normally recommend your restaurant to friends, this experience has shaken my faith, and I will tell them certainly to avoid your Silver Spring branch of Mainland China unless the management is changed.

• Visited May 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank AM207

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Mr. Anjan Chatterjee........are you listening????”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

We (family-5 of us) visited your restaurant on Gurusaday Rd. on 24 April for dinner. A few observations...as I too belong to the hotel industry.
# Small cockroach having a free run on the wall...beside a station...not noticed by anyone!!
# Wood work partition against the window is full of dust.
# Space behind the sofa is dirty.
# We waited a full 15 minutes and then had to call someone to attend to us.
# We ordered for starters and 3 fresh lime, a Pepsi and a Coke.
# The beverages come minus the Coke with no explanation.
# On asking I'm told you don't serve Coke..when asked why he did not inform while taking the order, he ( waiter ASHISH ) muttered something incomprehensible. Anyways I asked to get a Pepsi.
# After taking a sip I asked him why he served me the Fountain stuff and not the bottled one...the reply was that the bottled one is not available chilled!!!!!
# The serving of the rice and noodles on the plate was sloppy. He dropped it all over the table. When my wife proffered to serve herself he was more than happy and put the hot bowl in her hand!!!!!
# When I complained about all this to the unit manager, Mr Debdutta, who I happen to know, ( no complaints about him) he changed only one Pepsi and VOILA.........it was absolutely chilled!!!
So much for the food and service........we recommend it to our hotel guests when they want to dine out, but now.........I will have my reservations.

• Visited April 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank M_Khurana
bhavanamishra, Manager at Mainland China, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Dear Guest

We are extremely sorry for the experience you had at Mainland China and subsequently will like to thank you for your feedback.

We would requent you to share your contact details with us on bhavana@speciality.co.in so that we can get in touch with you to know more about the lapses. Please consider the request as it will help us improve.

Regards,
Bhavana
Hamilton, Canada
“Incredible Chinese food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2011

In the South City Mall - don't miss it! Kolkata has some of the best Chinese food you'll find anywhere. The service was exceptional. I was a nervous wreck out with my son who has food allergies. The chef reassured me he would take care of everything and he did. Incredible service and unforgettable food!

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank hamiltonraydan
Philly
“Extremely poor food and service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2011

I was in Kolkata in January and had heard a lot of good things about the restaurant so I decided to order food for pickup. I was very disappointed with the quality of the food -it was tasteless and hot and very expensive. This was the one on Gurusaday Road. Also when I presented my credit card for the payment, they kept me waiting for a very long time. This kind of service in such an upscale erstaurant is uncalled for. I doubt I will ever return to that restaurant ever again.
I also ate at the one located at South City Mall. This was the lunch buffet. Though there was a lot of variety, I cannot honestly say that this is the best Chinese food I have eaten. I prefer quality over quantity and Mainland China definitely does not stack up to my expectations. The cost for the lunch buffet was reasonable.

• Visited January 2011
4 Thank ramona2
New Delhi, India
“Simply Divine...to miss out on Mainland China would be a sin!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

For the first time, the tv commercials got it right - Mainland China does serve the most divine Chinese food i have ever tasted...i told my husband that not to eat their food would be a sin!:) We stumbled upon the Mainland China restaurant branch at the top of the South City Mall - we decided to go with the buffet - that way we'd get a taste of everything - and from the fabulous appetizer spread (the cauliflower is great), to the maincourse (my husband loved the hong kong crab), to the dessert (yummy custard), it was such a treat...for foodies such as us, this was definitely one of the highlights of our visit to Kolkata...Don't forget to ask for some green tea and take time to engage the waiters - they are so eager to please and recommend the best available...we applied for our "speciality" membership soon after...we suggest you do the same!

• Visited February 2011