“Not Recommended”
Review of Hotel Heera

and 1 more site!
Hotel Heera
Ranked #127 of 251 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed July 12, 2013

not filthy, we even had hot water and free Wifi.
The staff is fine, although they try to get tip for everything they do and sometimes even insist on it.
Also it is very noisy, but you get used to it after spending some time
The location was the best thing about the Hotel Heera. Just north of New Market it is an easy walk south to Central Kolkata or north to BBD Bagh area. The room was clean and their is hot water for showers. You do need a sleeping sheet because there is no other linen other than a bottom sheet. There is a TV but it is a small, old style set. There is supposedly a restaurant but I'm not sure where, I only had one brekkie here but I'd suggest it's a better idea to head to Sudder St or further afield to eat.

The staff are attentive but they do expect a tip in return. As I caught a taxi for the airport after my stay, I had 4 staff (the man who sourced the taxi for me and 3 others who kept me company) tell me they all deserved tips. I wasn't angry about it and they were not overly forceful in their request - I was more bemused as they were trying it on! - and I left with a smile having just tipped the man who got the taxi for me. But this is a demonstration of my experience of the staff here.

Room Tip: Not Recommended to stay.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JasperJ0hn

Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

In our first room (14) we found a little mouse, so we switched to the neighbor room (13). It was ok, not filthy, we even had hot water and free Wifi.
Also it is very noisy, but you get used to it after spending some time in India.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was meant to stay at the Hotel Heera Holiday Inn. I'd arrived really early and the man at reception organised me to stay at another of their hotels - ie the Hotel Heera - because they had a room I could check in straight away.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 4, 2012

we sometimes stay here for half day/night usually when we need to catch a train or a flight. For 1500- 2000rs it well worth it given its excellent location for shopping, food and so on. Yeah its a bit noisy outside but then thats how local ppl in kolkata usually are. Surprisingly the food here is excellent subtle in taste, bathrooms are in *okay* conditions you can always ask for new towels. The staff here is k.. room service is good actually they dont take half an hour to serve few cups of tea/coffee like in most hotels! they'll arrange cabs at any given time of the day without much hazzle (thats v important to me) . In short you get what your paying for.

Room Tip: Ask them for extra cushions, change of towels.... and be prepared to tip around 20-30rs cause they...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank gypsyychic
Reviewed December 4, 2011

The staff and management were not friendly and not helpful at all. Room 13 was smelly and must be avoided. The staff kept asking for tipping. The worst hotel I have stayed in India.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Whilst being located in a quiet lane but good walking distance to markets, etc., my five night stay there was greatly marred by the unpleasant, unfriendly and at times (a little stalker-like) staff. Management were outright rude and unpleasant at all times. Staff felt they had the right to enter our room, whenever they liked (WITHOUT KNOCKING). Who does this???? New fresh towels didn't look like they were washed at all. Stayed here as part of an Intrepid Tours trip and wrote to Intrepid urging them to drop this hotel from their travel itinerary. Would NOT recommend this place at all.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank SydneyMermaid
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Stayed here as part of an Intrepid Tours trip. Worst place we stayed at. Awful hospitality. The staff and management always seemed to be yelling at each other. Staff followed us around seeming always want a tip. The room wasn't so clean...dead bugs. A bit noisy location but it could do for a night or two if you can put up with the staff.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends