“Hotel from Hell!”

Hotel Victerrace International
Ranked #103 of 219 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Bath, United Kingdom
“Hotel from Hell!”
Reviewed January 26, 2010

A room in this hotel was booked for me and my partner by my business associate in Kolkatta. He was advised by the management that we would be provided with a lovely room and good service. On entering the hotel we noticed an awful smell of damp humidity & wondered what was to come. The room was awful. So small and dirty and the ventilation was none existent. The bed sheets had stains on them and when we ordered some tea and coffee it was presented in a disgusting plastic flask that looked years old. One evening I made a 10 minute phone call to the UK from my room and was horrified to learn that it was going to cost me £40.00. I was furious as I have made numerous telephone calls from hotel rooms in India and this was obviously a rip off. The management were not interested in the slightest at my upset and insisted I paid it or I could not leave the hotel. I visit India twice a year on business and I have stayed in hundreds of hotels. My advise is to stay well clear of this totally awful establishment.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Bohobindi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mumbai
Reviewed January 6, 2010

I decided on this hotel as a last minute option and after reading the only other review that was available on this hotel. Agreed that it is located very close to Victoria Memorial, however I am sure you have a million other options that are equally close to that place and you don't have to compromise on every thing possible to stay here.

The rooms are really small, composite beds are not available, bedsheets and towels provided in the hotel are extremely dirty....and the winner...the blades of the fan installed in our room were upside down so you could have the regulator on full and still not even a trace of breeze anywhere...

We checked into the hotel in the morning and ordered breakfast in the room. The tea was delivered in a worn out, dirty flask. After this we left the hotel for sight seeing and gave specific instructions to the staff to clean the room. We returned to the hotel after a good eight hours and to our surprise the room was as we had left it, even the breakfast plates and cups were still lying dirty on the table. It was a disgusting sight. On complaining the staff simply said that the shifts had changed and they could not answer on behalf of the other staff members.

I don't recommend this place to anyone!

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aparna_Jha

Travelers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Bangalore
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Booked victerrace through makemytrip as it was quite economical.
Very good location near victoria memorial, rooms are spacious, clean, staffs are very friendly and damn cheap. I plan to stay there whenever I go to cal both for business and personal trips

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — food choice
  • Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple