“A stay at vedic village” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vedic Village Spa Resort

and 1 more site!
Vedic Village Spa Resort
Ranked #20 of 216 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“A stay at vedic village”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

It was a day stay and we enjoyed it like any thing we stayed at aqua bungalow with a chilled swimming pool at our terrace kids had fun with that ball thing on swimming pool and the food there was amazing but it was slight costly and the covers of bed nd sofa needs to be changed.

Room Tip: Go for the aqua home bungalow
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank suyash1001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Usedom Island, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

The hotel is far from town but the grounds around the hotel and the common area are nice. The rooms are horrible. If I was not with a group of people I would have changed hotels!!!!! There is No Internet in rooms must by passes in lobby and use wifi there

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Agoodis
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Nice place...filled with greenery and lots of flowers.Not too far from Kolkata,15 kilometer drive (20 minutes) from the Airport room Decor.. the amazing rooms and room service, the theme based restaurants, the SPA zones and the magnificent swimming pool manages to cast a spell on your senses..nice window view...take a brisk walk around..your eye will feel relaxed..

overall a good resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Sulagna_Das
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a beautiful property not very far from Kolkata airport. When we checked in we were looking forward to a great experience. The rooms were good in size but lacked basic amenities which a quality resort should offer. There were no hooks or racks to hang clothes and towels in the toilets. The mattresses were below average quality. Ditto for the pillows. All fittings in the room like the light switches etc were of below average quality. The buffet breakfast was below average even though the food we ordered a la carte was not too bad. The resort had facilities like a badminton court, table tennis table etc but most of these were in a run down condition. There was a good swimming pool but it was not heated and was therefore of no use as it was quite cold when we were there in the last week of December.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mumbaiya41
Bangalore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

My first impression as I drove into the property was that this looks warm and welcoming. My experience consistently with the reception and restaurant staff left me feeling that they were doing me a favour. The room that I had was a suite that had been maintained well. The buffet at the restaurants were ok. Their people badly need training on guest engagement. Something that's a given in the hospitality business. Na? Here's what comes to mind -

Incident 1: I check in @ 2 pm and I tell the reception I'm very hungry, so please complete the check-in quickly. He starts the process. Some people land up at the reception for checkouts. He tells me, Sir, please sit down & wait, I ask him if I can have my lunch and come back and he say's - Sir your lunch is not included in the package. I tell him I'm hungry and will pay. It's not about what he said but the way he said it that irked me.

Incident 2: For breakfast I ask a young chef at the live dosa counter, if he can make me an egg dosa. He says he doesn't know what an egg dosa is. I tell him - all you have to do is break an egg on the dosa, He says he will try and within minutes I get an egg dosa - or something that resembles it. :) I go back to the live counter for one more egg dosa and see a senior chef there. I tell the junior chef I need a repeat. And then, right in front of me I see the senior chef telling the junior chef he won't / can't do it. I walk off disgusted and after a while the egg dosa comes to me. Again - it's the attitude that irks me.

Incident 3: After 3 meals at the restaurant, I know that finger bowls are standard offering. I ask for a finger bowl and the waiter tells me 'the bathroom is in this direction'. Again, I have no issues in using the wash room. The look on his face when he asked me to go to the wash room irks me.

In all these situations, I could have stood my ground and demanded a certain level of hospitality - I chose not to, so that I get to experience what comes naturally to any guest at the hotel.

I did have a great early morning run around the property. Other than that and a room that was all right and the food OK, this was a forgettable experience.

They could have easily delivered better. Boo!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sujitsumitran
Bengaluru, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was on a business trip to Dhaka Via Calcutta from Bangalore and decided to stay here as it seemed closer to the Airport and was looking for a place away from town for a night to catch up on some sleep and basically just do nothing.

I checked in on the 4th and spent the 4th and 5th of December with them. I will point wise put down my feelers of the resort and my experiences first hand if the management wish's to improve their levels of service.

1 - Being a business traveller I was looking for places to plug in my laptop - chargers etc, for the first time in my life had to call housekeeping to "look" for places for a plug point. Their solution was to unplug the bed side lamp and accomodate my request. Ridiculous, are we in an age where the average spa tourist has no mobiles phones to charge or an ipad even?.

2 - The jacuzzi was not working and there are all the lovely pictures of the site of a dreamy looking spa. I was for sure not there to avail of there top end spa services but to just soak in a hot tub. The fact that this was not functioning and it seemed as if no one really cared to have it fixed for quite some time before I checked in was VERY disappointing.

3 - I do not want to mention this on a portal where millions of people count on our reviews but to have your doorman "spit" on the side of the door when he thought no one was looking was to say the very least "disgusting". NEVER SEEN THIS IN MY LIFE !!. I did make a complaint and hope the offender lost his job. If you cannot respect your guests who are the very reason that you are there then you do not deserve to be in the hospitality industry.

4 - Room service was a little tacky in terms of presentation, cheap looking serving bowls etc considering the rates are no less than 5 star.

5 - Had an occasion where the phone was put down on my mid sentence with reception presumbely as they seemed busy with check ins. NOT DONE though I never called back to bite his head off.

6 - You have no smoking boards everywhere, but I do not see this enforced, I saw guests sitting on chairs in the corridors puffing away and the staff saying nothing. I hope the staff is a little stricter when it comes to rules like any top end property across the world. If a guest does not like it too bad, check into a hotel where its allowed.

Now the good stuff

1 - The authentic Bengali resturant was EXCELLENT. The service imppeccable, the food top class, worth every rupee. I will recommend this to any one looking to eat local fare, its so worth the drive even if your not staying wtih them. Kudos to the staff at that place.

2 - The hotel is a VERY pretty sight at night, it was a treat for the eyes and does not leave you in the least bit disappointed.

3 - My check out was done in less then 1 minute at 4-30 in the morning even though they had like 20 people in the lobby waiting to check out. I appreciate that.

All in all its a fair property if only they make the small changes that I have requested and pay a little extra attention over all I think they will out do them selves with the scale of property they are sitting on.

I will consider staying with them again if the maangement assures me that they are listening.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank vmahajan
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is a beautiful, green resort not too far from the city and this was why we had picked it for a overnight stay with close friends.

However, the 2 bedroom bungalow (deluxe resort bungalow room) which is a timeshare property was, for lack of a better word, appalling. Stained sofa, mouldy walls, dim lighting, chipped doors - and this for a rate of US 160 per night. The manager with whom we raised this point did not seem empowered to do much and it was only after we refused to check into the room that a resolution was raised - they placed us in a deluxe villa with an extra double bed for the same charges. The entire process of negotiating and resolution took over 3 hrs with the manager frequently disappearing and us chasing for a status update. However, it must be noted that upgraded deluxe villa was in fact beautiful, as were the property grounds.

In fact this was a recurrent theme during our entire one day stay. Service levels are dismal and not something one would expect from a resort with this kind of pricing. Training levels seem inadequate - dirty coffee cups in the restaurant, little coordination between departments and frequent follow ups needed for any resolution. There were instances where staff would take calls on their mobile when we were speaking to them and one time where we overheard staff complaining to colleague about a guest. This was a busy weekend though so would understand some lapses in service quality, though not to this extent.

All in all, thought this was really overpriced for the rooms on offer and the service levels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends