“A port in a storm but not somewhere I'd stay again”

Hotel VIP Continental
Ranked #177 of 221 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
UK
“A port in a storm but not somewhere I'd stay again”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The first thing to point out is that the Hotel VIP Continental and the Hotel VIP International are separate hotels, albeit on the same street. I have no idea whether they are part of the same hotel chain. We stayed there for 4 nights in December 2012. We didn't pre-book; we just asked at the reception desk whether they had a room available. This was during the India vs England test match - not the best time to look for a hotel room in Calcutta. But we needed to find somewhere and this was just round the corner from Sudder Street.

It is a business hotel for Indians - all chrome and glass in the entrance foyer, going a bit to seed inside. The staircase looked dodgy and an area of the ceiling had fallen through in one of the corridors. We'd asked to see one of the rooms before we made the booking. When we actually checked in, we were struck by the smell of cigarrettes. "All rooms are smoking rooms" was the response. The loo didn't flush and we dragged someone in to look at it, but it wasn't fixed. Fortunately there was a nice big bucket which we could fill from the shower. Otherwise the loo & shower were OK. We'd paid a deposit but they asked for more payment before the end of our stay. When I asked for a reduction in the bill because the loo didn't flush, it was fixed instantly. We had to ask for toilet paper. None arrived so we stole some from their cupboard in the corridor. They took the sheets after the 1st night and it took some haggling before we eventually got replacements. Otherwise the staff were pleasant. Cleanliness was OK. Wifi internet access was very good.

We slept well and weren't disturbed by noise from the busy street. No safe deposit box but they looked after our lap-top OK at the reception desk. We understand that Indians tend to eat in their rooms. We saw no-one else when we had breakfast (mediocre) in the dining room (see photo). Banana, spicy omelet, toast without jam, cake and tea.

It was over-priced but we had little choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BobHUk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Great location, and the most comfortable bed. We found this hotel on Christmas eve, when there was no room at the inn even at the most basic hotels during the school holidays in Kolkata. We only needed one night, but returned again and stayed 4 nights at the end of our trip. Good complementary breakfast, and cheap laundry service provided. Perhaps a little costly but, price was inclusive of all taxes sometimes charged separately.

Room Tip: The rooms are charged by size, so there is a choice to be had. Ask for a small room if your budget i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy H
Siliguri, India
Reviewed December 26, 2012

At the time of check in which i did along with my friend on 19th Dec. 2012, the receptionist showed me a delux room and also showed a tariff booklet. We agreed for the delux room and also the room tariff showed as per that tariff booklet. The surprise thing they said when we check in, they asked whether we need a proper bill or not? We told that we need it. We didn't feel that there was some fishy going on in this hotel with the billing. So the next day, we checked out purposely to see what they will say when we asked for the bill. Our doubt got cleared, the Hotel receptionist made a bill with some higher room tariff and moreover, they said that from the room we had taken some drinks which infact we haven't done it at all. We clearified them and if we did then at least those empty bottles should be lying in our room. Then they checked with the room boy and it came to know that the room boy forgot to keep or put back the drinks which the earlier room occupant had consumed. Now, this part is over, but the room tariff which we had to pay was way higher then the one which they had shown to us at the time of check-in. This sort of things happened to us in this VIP International Hotel at Mirza Ghalib Street which is next to Park Street in Kolkata. So, please be careful who ever travel around in such bad and illegal hotel billings going on.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank VajrayanaMMXII

Travelers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

India
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I Checked in at late night and left early in the morning at 4 AM to catch my flight. Rooms were small. There was no blanket and I was so tired that I had no energy left to call them and ask for one. Later I found that there was no water as well. bathroom was too small. I asked them to wake me up at 4 in the morning as I have to catch the flight. No one woke me up and I almost missed my flight. No review about food as I never got a chance to eat there. Is ok for solo traveller but i recommend its costly as compared to the standards.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kharagpur, India
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is very congested. Though, I found the service OK, but not exemplary. However, since I have stayed at the hotel more than once, the authorities have reduced rates for me. The best for me was the complementary breakfast, but certainly, the hotel charges much higher for the rooms.

Room Tip: If you have stayed before in VIP, request them for a reduced rate, they might oblige.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stepped in and tried to check in. But the room I choose was "not available right now". Only high priced rooms were available. Was in a hurry and booked that room. Shifted to another hotel first thing in the next dawn.
Was asking for unrealistic price for 24 hour wifi on single device.
I had talked with some other travellers I met in the area (that is a hotel zone). Many had same experience ("not available right now") experience. So, that seems their policy to sell same rooms with higher price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dimapur, India
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Service 0, cleanliness 0, bathroom 0... really bad value for money. there was were hair on the phone beside the bed, the bath was smelly.. and the receptionist were not at all helpful.. food was provided 4m some other hotel which was really bad.. overall had a nightmare of an experience..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple