“A good solid stay”
Review of The Lindsay

The Lindsay
Ranked #44 of 221 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
West Yorks, UK
“A good solid stay”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I don't know why but I wasn't expecting much at first, I had just left another hotel in Kolkata, the plush but highly overpriced 'Floatel' and I heard this one was in the backpacker area. My cab nearly missed the small entrance. I had to walk through a metal detector screen where there were also 2 guards (wow, talk about paranoid, okay maybe they just want their guests to feel safe, and that's fine).

Check in was lengthy. The usual form filling in, plus having to wait around for a key card to be made/sorted. - A drink of orange was offered though, so that was nice!

My room was on the 6th floor. Inside, everything looked okay, very Clean, no smell of smoke despite there being ashtrays in the room. I liked the desk - it was big enough for the LCD TV, my laptop, a drink and few snacks. A backless chair for it too. Other amenities included a Fridge, small safe and a 2 seater settee.

The only disapointment was The mattresses, they were were really thin, that surprised me a bit given the quality feel in the room.

Bed linen was changed daily, no problems with housekeeping.

Bathroom was fine, ample toiletries were provided, including comb, hygiene bag, that kind of thing.

I was recovering from an illness whilst staying here (my illness had nothing to do with the hotel I might add) so didn't try any solid food, Loved the 'mocktails' though served in the bar, prices were okay too.

There was no rooftop restaurant/bar, I think it was under going renovations?

Staff were always helpful, they translated when I needed a doctor who gave me medicine with lots of instructions, they also brought me extra bottled water.

WiFi was hit and miss, Someone from reception had to help twice with registration, despite the signal always being strong, more often than not, no connection. It was free though :)

Overall I think when I go back to Kolkata next year, Hotel Lindsay will get another visit from me, a good hotel at a reasonable price and the surrounding area isn't bad either.

Room Tip: Didn't noticed any street noise on the 6th floor if that helps.. and there are 8-9 floors.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank spud-UK
Hotellindsay123, Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

We do very much value the feedback of our guest and we appreciate your feedback about Hotel Lindsay, Kolkata on TripAdvisor.

At Hotel Lindsay, Kolkata our endeavor is to offer excellent accommodation, food and prompt and personalized service to our guest. I will certainly pass on your kind words of appreciation about your wonderful experience you had during your stay to my entire team which will go a long way to motivate them to continue to deliver a high level of services.

My team and i feel privileged that you have considered writing this review and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hotel Lindsay and Kolkata.

Hotel Lindsay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Nagpur, India
Reviewed December 1, 2013

It was a nice stay. Staffs were all courteous and helping. However, a little improvement in meal is desired. I would like to stay with you again and again. It was all hassle free. Display board of Hotel should be prominently visible. Locating your hotel is a little bit difficult. If possible do something here.

Room Tip: Any one. All are equally well.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hotellindsay123, General Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write this nice review about Hotel Lindsay, Kolkata on TripAdvisor. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially for mentioning our great customer service. We have already started working on your suggestion regarding making the Hotel display board more prominent and hopefully you will see the change during your next visit.

We wish you a joyful Christmas season.

Guwahati, India
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Our stay at this hotel was outstanding, we have enjoyed a lot. Good co-operative nature staffs/Managers. Though my father was staying here since 1995, he advice me too stay in this hotel. THis hotel is in the heart of Kolkata which is very near to Victoria Memorial. Birla Planetarium , Market places , Indian Museum etc. Hope i have a program this december for kolkata, will always love to stay here again.

Room Tip: Every room have a good view so just go on and have a pleasant stay.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

hotellindsay_123456, General Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, especially for mentioning our great customer services. We strongly believe in fulfilling our motto ''MY BEST FOR THE GUEST''

We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Best Wishes,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We chose this hotel, since we wanted to live close to the new market. Decent breakfast. Rooms are just okay, can be better. But staffs are really helpful. During our stay there was a big big rain shower which almost ruined our trip, but the staff arranged an airport drop off through their contact.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SabbirC
Hotellindsay123, General Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was pleasure to have you stay at Hotel Lindsay, Kolkata recently. Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

At Hotel Lindsay, Kolkata our endeavor is to offer excellent accommodation, food and prompt and personalized service to guests. I will certainly pass on your kind word of appreciation to my entire team regarding our service and upkeep of the hotel. I can assure you that it shall go a long way to motivate the team to continue to deliver a high level of service to our valued guests.

My team and I, feel privileged that you have considered writing this review.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Me and my friend stayed in this hotel from 13th - 15th September. Its a good hotel located on main New Market area. A bit conjusted, but services are good. Reception staff was very friendly , helpful and courtious. Air Conditioning is not very good. A small 1 ton window AC in a room tariff of around 3500 seems funny. Room service is very fast and normally took lesser time which was expected and promised. Food is good and tasty. Bathroom accessories were good. Best thing is availability of food 24 hrs a day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hotellindsay123, General Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially mentioning our great customer service.

At Hotel Lindsay, Kolkata our endeavor is to offer excellent accommodation, food and prompt personalized service to guests. I will certainly pass on your kind words of appreciation to my entire team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Internet connection is horrible when it does work - it took me a room change to be closer to the modem and even then it was so slow. It flat quit working for 24 hours before they "fixed" it. Would have been nice to know this when we called before to ask if they had a wifi connection in the rooms. Breakfast options not so good - service in the restaurant is poor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hotellindsay123, General Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at Hotel Lindsay Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

It was a pleasure to know that you liked our accommodation but at the same time we apologize for the inconvenience you faced in the restaurant as well as with the wi-fi internet. I am happy to know that my staff immediately attended to your problem and set it right.

We promise and assure you of our best services at all times and looking forward to welcome you back in future.

Travelers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I had an overnight stay at hotel Lindsay but suffice to say that while the rooms were good and clean, there were a couple of negative experiences which made me regret my stay there. Firstly there was no hot water in the shower. Secondly, the management had provided electric kettle to boil water and make tea, but on opening the electric kettle, there was lot of scale and rust at the bottom which was a no no for a hotel charging so much money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hotellindsay123, General Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

At the outset i would like to thank you for staying at Hotel Lindsay, Kolkata and taking your time out to write this review on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your compliments about our quality of room and its upkeep and regret the inconvenience you faced regarding hot water supply and the electric kettle. I have since then gone into the depth of the matter and taken remedial steps so that you do not face this discomfort in your next visit. It is with profound grief and regret that i apologize and accept the shortcoming on our part.

We at Hotel Lindsay always strive to make our guests as comfortable as possible and eagerly look forward to your valued clientele in future by giving us an another opportunity to serve you.

Best Wishes.