“A truly elitist haven - once!”
Review of Tollygunge Club

Tollygunge Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1895, this club includes an 18-hole golf course as well as facilities for golf, tennis, squash, indoor and outdoor swimming, riding and amateur equestrian sports.
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I have been visiting Calcutta for over fifty years- though There was a gap of almost twenty years between the eighties and the twenty first century when I was not in India.
The " koi hai"club culture is to Calcutta what the five star culture is to Delhi. Amongst their pretenders like the Calcutta Punjab Club, CCFC, etc etc, the Royal and the "Tolly" were, and remain the truly elitist clubs! As everything else in Calcutta, these two hallowed institutions are on the decline- though the snobbery is at an all time high! The food is a shadow of the past, yet amongst the best in Calcutta clubs! Nostalgia!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Beautiful, lush green well maintained golf course.. Fantastic restaurants and lounges. You have to be a member or member's guest to visit this place. They also have lodging which consists of decent rooms, which can be booked by members for their guests or by affiliate members for self use. If you have a member friend you must visit this place.. It's a fantastic day out on a weekend.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed at the Tolly club for a week in Feb, 2014. My brother, being a member, reserved it for me six months ago. Reading a few negative reviews at this site, I came to stay here with very little expectations. I was given a Deluxe room at the third floor of the Newly remodeled Tower. Very nice and clean room with two single beds, with two chairs and a small table. Room service attendants are extremely courteous, so are those chowkidars on the golf walkways where I walked every morning. There are stray dogs roaming around, but quiet and mostly baking in the Sun, napping. Foods are very good and cheap in all restaurants, subsidized for the club members and their guests. Laundry service is available with a pittance . Gym, heated indoor swimming pool, massage facilities are excellent.
A little annoying part is their dress codes- no shorts, half sleeve shirts, chappals, jeans are allowed in all dining areas - a bit embarrassing for outside guests who came to visit me with typical punjabi , pajamas, and sandals, and denied entries in the outdoor Samiana restaurant. I also had to change my drees from shorts to long sleeve shirts and pants after my morning walk to have my breakfast at the Belvedere room.
All in all, I enjoyed my stay at the club and encourage folks from abroad to stay in here, mostly at the renovated towers.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

If you can wangle an invite from a member this is a lovely throwback to old Calcutta. Golf course and grounds still actively used. Food decent

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I have to the Tolly Club for a wedding. Their food as always was fantastic. And the club is very well-maintained. I do not think this place is open for tourists though. The lush green lawns are the greatest attraction of the Tolly Club.