“locality is a boon”
Review of Hotel Victerrace

Hotel Victerrace
Ranked #177 of 224 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed April 1, 2012

The hotel is situated in one of the best localities of Kolkata, the Camac Street. It's near from everything.
Though the hotel has small rooms and service average, it's locality and price fulfills the gap.

But regarding reservations, you will have to call them on a daily basis after confirming your reservations through mail or phone. Insist on getting a confirmation mail from them. For that also you may have to call them few times.

But overall, it's an OK experience there.

Room Tip: Don't go for lowest priced rooms(standard Double room) and book the higher priced room which is...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Victerrace

Reviewed March 26, 2012

I’ve stayed in some pretty mediocre and cheap hotels all over the world but this was without a doubt the worst. Eleven days I had of this. I got off to a bad start right from trying to find the place. They advertise it as a place behind “Gorky Sadan”, a small seemingly derelict building behind a high brick wall, which few of the locals have heard of. Then they list the address as Gorky Terrace when in fact the road sign at the nearest main road junction – Camac St - says Victoria Terrace. The taxi driver spent over an hour trying to find this place. I noticed a prominent and respectable looking hotel on Camac St close to this Camac/Victoria Terrace junction. Probably the Senator, although some maps put it in the wrong place, as they also do with the Victerrace. Anyway, it’s a much more prominent and well known landmark than Gorky Sadan.

My next problem was getting in to the place. My flight landed at 0130 and it was probably gone 0300, maybe 0330 when I arrived. I had already warned them of this, and had paid for this night. On arrival, the entrance courtyard gate was locked, reception in darkness, and no way of getting attention. With the help of other taxi drivers camped outside, and much shouting lasting 10 or 15 minutes, somebody eventually came out to let me in. But I almost had to spend the rest of the night on the road with the taxi drivers.

The room was about 10ft square and like something out of the 40s. 1840s that is. A spider was waiting for me on the pillow and footprints on the bed top cover. The mattress was no more than 3 inches thick on a hard board. The sheets and towel, whilst “clean”, were actually grey. The toilet/shower – well – it supplied me with water and took away my waste. That’s all that’s positive to be said.

My room – the one immediately above the entrance in the photo they publish, was close to a swing door in regular use by staff all day and well in to the night. So, all day and all night – bang…..bang…..bang…..bang….

It was on the third day when my room hadn’t been cleaned and I had to ask why that I found out that I had to leave the key at reception on departing. The housekeeping boys soon learned my schedule and would arrange to be cleaning or just start cleaning my room on my return to the room at about 1800 hrs. The sole purpose of this was to put me in a position to tip them. So most times I would go for a stroll down the street until they had finished, or else tell them I didn’t want anything doing.

One evening I wanted a couple of bottles of Coke and rather than walk down the road I went to get them from the restaurant, which was empty. They tried to seat me at a table even when I told them that I didn’t want to sit down and wanted them for my room. It took five of them to supply me with these two bottles and handle the money transaction, and about 15 minutes. At the end they fully expected to keep the change as a tip – an amount equal to about twice the cost of the two Cokes.

I’m not a mean person. I gave loads to the kids living on the streets, the young homeless mothers, and anybody else who captured my heart. But I strongly resent it when hotel staff think that every westerner is a free cash machine.

As for location, it’s ok but nothing special by any means. As for the price I paid, the room I had in a Chennai hotel was much the same price, but the hotel and room were superior by a huge degree. On my departure after eleven days, the thought of getting to the airport put a positive spring in my step.

Room Tip: Try the Senator hotel just round the corner
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Even though we were on an organised tour with a company who regularly use the hotel, items were stolen from our locked rooms, both mine and a friends. When we questioned the staff they denied any knowledge and wouldn't help us obtain police statements. I'd advise you to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2012

The hotel room was small and didn't have much room for our 2 backpacks but it was clean and had a tv. The water in the shower was either steaming hot or cold, but it was a nice welcome to having access to hot water 24 hrs a day. Which isn't common in the other parts of India we traveled.

We ordered room service to our room 2 times and each time we had a problem communication in English with the staff. One meal they even brought a dish we didn't order which we refused and didn't pay for it.

Plus side they never charged me for the internet that I used in their lobby, as there is no wifi.

Location is nice as you can walk to Victoria Monument, St Paul's Cathedral and a 10-15 minute walk to Park Street. As for the value not sure as we traveled with Intrepid Travel and the cost of the rooms was included in our tour fee.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We' ve stayed there twice during our Kolkata trips. The suite is at a bargain price..although the the rest of things have to be let gone. The food is average and the service is bad. Be ready to order your food at least 35 min earlier or better still go out and get something! Apart from the price factor and the size of the place, nothing else is much impressive.

Room Tip: Corner suites on the 4'th floor are better.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Room poky and not overclean, bathroom decidedly poor the floor remained wet after showering and with no means of mopping it up meant you walked water into the bedroom, we decided not to use the restaurant as it smelt as though the air conditioning was malfunctioning, had no desire to return home with Legionaires disease.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stuart S
Reviewed November 17, 2011

The location as such was near the Camac street and Mint park was nearby for morning walking. The room is pretty small but clean. Morning breakfast was available in the ground floor which is actually a bar. The pathway leading to the restaurant had a toilet and was smelly even while passing in the pathway. The food was okay not bad is the exact comment i can give. The price is cheap in Kolkotta standards at a prime location. I got the renevated room but still the size of the room was small, toilet was not super clean though not dirty

Room Tip: If you travel with family then think twice before staying, heard there's one more hotel nearby b...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business