“A Little Gem”

Hotel 233 Park Street
Ranked #30 of 218 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Macau, China
“A Little Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

On a recent trip to Kolkata we stayed for 3 nights at the 233 Park Street Hotel, what a little gem this hotel is in a city of maddness. Prior to arriving I recieved a very detailed email from the owner providing information on the transport options to reach the hotel and this was really helpful as we arrived at 3am and the taxi driver really didn't know where to go. The Hotel is central located at 7 point and we found it within walking distance of most of the main sights that we wanted to see. The New Market, Mother Terese's house, several monuments all within an easy distance. Also on Park street a few blocks down were some great little cafe's and restaurant's, ATM's the area around Park street is colourful and intereasting. Our host, Balu was great and really made the experience personable, he is very helpfull and has an excellent knowledge of the city. It could be rather daunting arriving to India however at 233 Park Street Balu and his team make you feel very welcome. The hotel itself is small boutique style, there are no amentities as such however the rooms are very comfortable and the one we had very spacious. The hotel is clean, bathrooms spotless. Breakfast is a choice from the menue and is served in the room. Mineral water is provided in the room and we apreciated the extra touches such as freash fruit and Indian sweets which were left in the room. Overall I would say this is a comfortable, well run boutique hotel which I and my family would most definatly stay in again and recommend to others.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Robyn B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel 233 Park Street for one week and were made to feel very welcomed.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the taxi driver had a difficult time locating the hotel. There seemed to be some confusion between Hotel 233 Park Street and another hotel called The Park. Prior to our arrival, the hotel had emailed us with directions and so we were able to communicate the area we needed to be in with the driver which is Park Circus 7 Point. Once we were dropped off at the traffic circle, we were able to spot the hotel across the street.

We checked in early after traveling for nearly 24 hours, and although our room wasn't ready, we were given another room so we could rest and freshen up. I really appreciated this. I believe the room we were given was the largest in the hotel and we were very comfortable. The noise from the street can be heard throughout the hotel. Our room was in the back, I can't imagine having stayed at the front. But Kolkata is very noisy, I expected it, so it didn't bother me but this is something to consider.

The breakfast consists of four choices and is served in the room. You place your order the night before and service begins at 8AM. I ordered the stuffed paratha with pickles everyday, it was delicious and I enjoyed having breakfast in the room. There is a small table and two chairs and I found it quite nice. We were given two plates of local sweets during our stay.

The neighborhood outside can be a little difficult, other parts of Park Street seem better. I was on my own most days but did not have issues with safety. I would not have been comfortable walking back by myself at night.

Despite that, it was a very memorable and comfortable stay. We were made to feel very welcomed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel because it will be quieter. Try the stuffed paratha for brea...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank laurenj1978
Cape Town Central, South Africa
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,159 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

A week before I was due to arrive I received an e-mail asking if I needed transportation from the airport and the different pricing options as well as directions for finding the hotel (very necessary)! It made me feel they were organized and happy to greet me.

None of the owner’s sons was on hand when I checked in. The receptionist didn’t help with bags and at first I thought there was a problem with my booking, but their reservation system was down and he was just checking with the owner’s son. When Balu arrived I received the hospitality folks have been raving about—he brought a plate of traditional Kolkatan sweets (yum!), apologized for the reception, told me he had upgraded me to the best room, and had obviously done quite a bit of research about me online. Apparently, they do this for all guests to make sure they are offering them the type of service they want. That is service and attention to detail! They give you a pre-printed list of restaurants with distances and “pocket pinch” (prices—they have a sense of humor!) marked and provide you with a map with pre-printed attractions. You also get two bottles of mineral water for free.

I had their most spacious room (101) with a large four poster bed, desk, cupboard, couch, chest, flat screen TV with lots of cable channels. WIFI fast. Floor is white and black buffed marble (you don’t slip) and furniture is classical and tasteful if masculine. My room was spotless. Bathroom fair sized and clean but with the sewer smell typical of many Indian hotels. Painted all black. Hot water seems to get switched off late at night.

There is no dining room so you give your breakfast order from a variety of different options at night and tell them what time they should bring it to your room. Average breakfast.

The hotel is about 45 minutes from the airport (300 Indian Rupee ride in a yellow taxi from the hotel) and very central to shops, sights and restaurants. It is unprepossessing from the outside with scaffolding and few know of it since they just opened 8 months ago and their business is from online bookings. They only have six rooms and they fill up fast.
It took them 4 years to get them ready due to red tape and neighbors. They are working on adding more rooms and a dining room but permitting issue continue so who knows when they will be ready.

Despite the facilities and netting on the exterior of the façade, I would stay here again as they offer rooms with character at a reasonable price at a prime address in Kolkata and very friendly service to boot.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Mid Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at 233 Park Street, having stayed one night at the Swissotel earlier in the trip. While 233 Park Street has few of the amenities of Swissotel (no pool, no coffee shop or restaurant etc) we preferred our stay at 233 Park Street. The staff were great and the two owners couldn't be more helpful. The rooms are pretty small(ours was one of the largest) but well designed and furnished. It was like coming home in the evenings.

It's well located in the centre of Kolkata, a 15 minute walk to the restaurants and bars along Park Street and a 15 minute walk to Victoria Memorial and the Maidan. Close by is a new designer shopping mall with a pretty good supermarket in the basement, helpful as we were able to stock up for a couple of upcoming long train journeys.

Worth checking out but it's pretty small, only seven rooms.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 911bella
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

233 Park Street has just 6 rooms, pending the opening of more rooms. It's located on a busy street in a heritage building with scaffolding still covering much of the building and only the ground floor open.

The rooms open directly off the main passageway which is occupied by the reception desk and a couple of chairs for visitors. The noise from the outside street is insulated by thick mirrored doors, but there is no other common space for visitors or breakfast, or meetings. The common area is really small.

My room had traditional dark wooden furniture, evoking a colonial-era past. A four poster wooden bed, a writing desk, lounge sofa all evoke the mood of the period, although there are modern amenities - flatscreen TV, coffee and tea making facilities and a safe. A marble floor, dark ceilings, and muted lighting all conspire to give the room a rather subdued feel.

The room is not very large, and because of the lack of space outside, breakfast is served in the room, which has both pros and cons.

The cooked Indian breakfast, which is excellent, only becomes available when the cook turns up at 8am, which somewhat limits flexibility if you want an early start, otherwise you can have a cold breakfast if you need to leave earlier.

The bathroom has a modern glass shower stall and black stone flooring, but the finishing lacked finesse, with sloppy paintwork. Being a heritage hotel means it has atmosphere, but also quirks. The bathroom, for example, had a ventilation vent which was a like a speaker, bringing in street sounds into the room!

Stepping outside, the street is very busy and noisy, but there are restaurants and shops nearby, so location wise, it's not bad. It's not for the traveller who wants the modern hotel, or an oasis of peace and quiet, but if you're looking for a small boutique hotel which evokes the mood of the past, then this hotel is worth checking out.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leeyuk
Hiroshima, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I brought 6 international students to Hotel 233, not knowing what to expect. While I'm accustomed to staying at the Oberoi for work, I wanted something more quaint for the students. Now that I've experienced Hotel 233, I won't consider staying anywhere else while spending time in Calcutta. The owners and staff are genuinely good people who made our stay feel like home. From personalizing our breakfast orders, booking movie tickets for our group, chatting with us about Indian culture, and recommending amazing restaurants around the city, we ended up building a strong relationship with the staff. On our last night, the students invited Balu, one of the owners, to dine with us at a Mexican food restaurant he recommended- and he did! We had such a great time and couldn't believe he would go out of his way to join our group. The students were also gifted Indian desserts afterward, a small gesture from the staff as they heard the students talking about how they wanted to try Indian sweets. Thoughtful and caring people- and an awesome place to stay. Plus, I'm obsessed with the antique furniture. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Just returned from14 days in India, had the pleasure of staying 2 nights at Hotel 233 Park Street. WOW what a nice place, the staff were great, even had special desert treats each night. full size bed, great updated bath with a huge shower. Park street location vibrant city life all around

Absolutely would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo