“Bong Flavoured to taste”
Review of Kasturi Restaurant

Kasturi Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 4,340 Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Bengali food is always special and nothing less than authentic from Bangladesh is served at Kasturi. Though the options are less and availability is not mandatory but still the taste of the food is very close to home made food. It was a casual visit with a couple of friends and since we were looking for a budget options, the suggestions came flown in for this joint. We reached for lunch and it was full and had a waiting for 10 minutes. We seated and almost immediately order was taken. The service was fast but a dead mosquito spoiled my rice which was replaced. I tried the veg options and loved it.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

No trip to Cal is complete without a lunch here ...
Usually end up here just before the crowd starts to pour in and the various dishes are cooked .. and also the bhetki paturi is ready to be devoured
its usually the bhetki paturi, kochu chingri and a few veggies that make up our meal. The food is a bit oily but then when it comes to good food, such flaws are seen as taste enhancers to epicureans like me,

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We went to this restaurant for lunch on December 30, 2012 after reading great reviews in Trip Advisor.
The menu wasBegun t very limited and even then some of the items (roti, alur dum, mochha, cholaar daal etc.) were not available. We ordered rice, alu kopi, alu posto, moong daal with peas, dhoka, alu bhaja, begun bhaja, hilsa with mustard. Rice was over cooked and reheated many times. Moong daal was very watery and tasteless. Alu posto had very little posto and alu was not fully cooked. Alu bhaja was the strangest. It was finely chopped like strings, dried and fried. It looked like something from a can. Alu kopi was wirh kopi completely melted with two large pieces of potato. Dhoka was two dumplings in a little sauce. Hilsa was one piece in a tasteless mustard sauce.
Food was not really palatable. My wife and daughter chose not to eat. I ate the hilsa and a little rice. The place was kind of dirty meaning floor looked rarely cleaned, dishes were not dry. Servers looked too young and unclean. We ended up going to a Cafe-Coffee Day for a second lunch.
There were about three other families and most of them looked overseas indians (NRI). We felt sorry for everyone for falling for the same five-star TA review. It is no comparison to Bhojohori Manna, or 6 Ballygunj place which is in the same neighborhood. I got the impression that local bengalis do not frequent this place. It is simply a trap for NRIs.

In summary, it is not a cheap place but simply unpalatable food. It is not Dhakai cuisine or any bengali cuisine that I grew up with. I do not recommend this place.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

It is a nice place for mainly lunch.it is typical bengali cuisine.everything is fantastic. nice to have asmall official party.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Delicious food!!!, mainained the heritage of authantic bengali food.....not a jazy resturant and dosen't have a 10 pages menu card to make to complicated what not to eat....serve simple and delicious food. must try Chital macher Mutta, Chingri macher lou shag...somehow I didn't liked the aloo posto it was sweet in taste else all the food i tried was very very good...and beleive me I have tasted almost all the food here.....we were actually a big group..and everybody ordered seperately and we all tasted almost all the plates.....its better than most of the Bengali Food joints (on taste as well as price)

1  Thank Sougata12