“forgotten graves”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“forgotten graves”
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

The place almost borders on mystic with its old, forgotten graves and the tropic fauna overtaking the space. Buy a guide at the entrance and take an hour or so to explore this remainder of colonial times.

Visited March 2014

New Delhi, India
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A lost soul in the Heart of City”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Surely one of the most b'ful cemetary one can come across.One can click pictures after getting permission but cannot share on social media platforms.Right in the heart of city and very few local people know about the wonderful heritage.Witness this legendary place while sitting there and soaking the silence.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Paradox - Spooky yet Serene!”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Had planned to visit South Park Street Cemetery after I had read rave reviews on this very site. Getting there was not easy as the cabbie did not know the place but thanks to Google Maps, managed to reach the street. When I asked a few locals (supposedly), no one knew about it. Surprising! However there was a wall & I could feel it in my bone that this had to be the place. I asked a guy how I do get on the other side of the cemetery; I hoped he didn’t say by dying (No pun intended).
He guided me to the main gate where I met the caretaker, who is a jolly old man & if you have the time, he would be able to give you the history of the place. I was there at 9.00 in the morning since I had to head to work after that. Since this is not a guided tour, I was out on my own. As I walked alone, the eerie calm of the place was spooky even in the broad daylight.
As I walked, I hoped I didn’t get lost (thankfully the place is not that big) in a graveyard of the Days of the Raj. The rustling leaves got me startled and was glad to hear a few human voices. They were the workers of the cemetery who cleared the fallen leaves and maintained the graveyard. There were quite a few birds & squirrels, and each time they scampered around, a chill ran down my spine.
Almost each tombstone was unique in its design and architecture. It would be a great learning in architectural styles of the day’s bygone. There were some that had domes, other was pestle shaped, there was Indian temple architecture as well, and intriguing signs on tombstones, intricate inlay designs. I am sure architectural experts would do better justice describing it.
But what struck my heart were the poems & memorials on the graves. People who loved & people who were loved!! The place houses the graves of so many different people – young infants, children, women, clergymen, war veterans, Viceroys, most of whom died young.
For those planning to visit, a small note - timing's are 9:00am to 5:00pm

1 Thank Avrag2014
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Old, Dirty...and Wonderful!”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Spent time with the dead today at the Park St. Cemetery. This was my first visit to any cemetery and the one in Park St. was nothing like I expected...yet still, I loved it, perhaps better for failing my imagination. No whitewashed tombs, no flowers on graves; just overgrown grass, stone laden with algae and crow-droppings...centuries old tombs, the letters faded on them. People, so many of them...men, women, children of the 18th and 19th centuries. Who were they? What were they like? What is their story? Sons and daughters of England, buried so far from their motherland in a quiet street corner in India. Love, love, loved it...the ambiance and the experience! Will soon return to what has now become a favorite haunt (no puns intended).

1 Thank AnuradhaGhose
Mid Sussex
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Peaceful...”
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Worth popping into this if you're in the Park Street area. It's a little window into the lives of those Brits who found themselves in Calcutta at the turn of the 19th century.

You can get a real sense of the life expectancy (particularly of the wives) and some of the graves give a real historical narrative.