“You can feel the history”

South Park Street Cemetery
Book In Advance
More Info
$432.00*
and up
Private Full-Day Kolkata Tour
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“You can feel the history”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I visited the cemetery twice during my stay November 2012. Just found the place so amazing, strange and over whelming. Can't believe the size of some of the tombs ... it was like walking on to a film set for a scene in Indiana Jones. Very sad as well to see how young some of the people were when they died. Well worth a visit to get away from the chaos that is Calcutta

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Olias

Manchester, United Kingdom
219 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 335 helpful votes
“Strange place”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is a very old graveyard for colonial people buried in Calcutta. The tombs are massive and very impressive but the overall atmosphere is rather spooky. There are a lot of black crows flying around and it reminded us of Hitcocks The Birds film! Interesting but not worth a long journey, but its only 10 mins from Mother Teresa's house so the two can be combined.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank simon m
Cully, Switzerland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“British cemetery”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I went because I was fascinated with the stories of how British lived their live. This cemetery connects visitors with British India. The atmosphere was so calm and serene. I sat there alone. It was quite, gave me a freedom from all my existing thoughts for a while.

Visited October 2012
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“My Secret Garden”
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Once you step into the gate of the cemetary you will be completely blown away. Its unlike any I have ever seen. Beautifully shaded and overgrown, it is a wonderful place to look back in time, relax, or just walk around. Its surprisingly quiet even on the bustling park street. One of my favorite places in Kolkata!

2 Thank natalie48734
Pulborough, United Kingdom
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“very calming”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I chose to go here as I had read up on it. It wasn't on my agenda initially but I am so glad I went here. I have never seen gravestones like these, truly amazing. My guide told me a story of one person and we found her grave, it was fantastic. The guy on the gate was very helpful and gracious. a truly brilliant place to see.

Visited November 2012