“A true folly”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“A true folly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

This place is definitely worth tracking down in North Calcutta. A tip -- entrance is FREE. You might want to tip the guide but that is voluntary.

1 Thank Miranda_Escobedo

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Jodhpur, India
268 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 545 helpful votes
“Marble Palace – Nice Historic Place in Kolkata”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

From reviews of the marble palace in Kolkata and narration of experience of the visitors I had learnt about touts grabbing bribes and harassing the visitors to the place.

Hence I straightaway headed for the tourist office in Shakespeare Sarani in Kolkata and obtained a pass.

When I reached there I did not have to pay entry fees and the staffs were cooperative and told me the details about the various parts of the palace.

Various types of clocks are there in the palace that is the highlight of the marble palace. It is not maintained by the Government but should have been as it is a good tourist location.

Photography is not allowed and so camera is not required to be along side.

Visited August 2012
4 Thank GrainVodka
Reggio Emilia, Italy
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“rip off”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

they tell you one can only get in with permission from the government but then they're quick to ask you some money so you can get in. we refused and left we were so angry at the attempted rip off!

Dhubri, India
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Very Nice Historic Palace”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

It is very very nice and interesting. I have taken entry pass for entering inside the Marble Palace Kolkata from Indian Tourism Office of Shakes Pear Sarani, Kolkata, as I have seen in details on net, how to entered there. But there was no entry fees, the staffs are very nice, after I have shown the entry pass they taken to all the corner, all the floors of the house and told me about the historic back ground, the art work collected by "Raja" are very rare and nice collection. There is a small Garden and a zoo like environment out side the Marble Palace from my point of view staffs are co-operative. There are various types of clocks. This place is under private sector under "Raja's" family, there is no Government fund or something like this to help this property as said by the guide present there. But in all way very nice place. Have to take care for future more well other wise India Government will lost a great property. And lastly I again telling all of you that collect Entry Permission from Indian Tourism Department and then visit the palace you will get warm welcome. Photography is strictly prohibited.

Visited December 2012
Ahmedabad
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Bakshish is the password”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Was on way to the the Marble palace after I heard positive reviews from fruit vendors in the nearby fruit market. Towards entry I was stopped by the guard, he pointed out towards the board hanging on the gate. Which read, visitors require permission from the tourist office. As I walked towards the tourist office nearby, I was beckoned closer (Btw, this come hither nod is common with the kolkata touts, vendors, passerby) and told I need not bother going to get a pass/permission simply see the palace and on my way out give him(security Guard) bakshish (Bribe) we negotiated for a price and I was given entry, approaching towards the museum entry, there was a motley of 3 guards sitting/standing as I attempted to took out my shoes I was asked to come after 15 mins, I asked why?
I was told why don't I visit the zoo till then, I saw some army and govt cars on my way in, I thought maybe some govt dignitary was inside so the hush-hush behaviour after a while when I approached again, I was asked to wait again, I realized this man, simply wanted his cut. I flat-out asked him how much? he named a price, which wasn't too high, but the whole process was sickening. The concept of taking bribes in our system is widespread in all classes. On my way out, I met the security guard with this arm outstretched smiling, I smiled back and said, "Please wait for 15 mins, "

He didn't smile back.