“Fabulous tour” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Calcutta Photo Tours

Calcutta Photo Tours
Ranked #1 of 37 Tours in Kolkata (Calcutta)
More attraction details
Owner description: Heritage, Cultural, Special Interest, Photography Tours.Explore Calcutta (Kolkata) like a local. Get under the skin of this awe-inspiring city. Learn and appreciate the heritage, culture & history even if you are not crazy about photography. And if photography makes you smile, THIS is the one to do! Calcutta's BEST special interest tour operator. Experience us to experience what all these wonderful people felt!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Tunbridge Wells, England, United Kingdom
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Fabulous tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Manjit collected us from hotel and took us on wonderful walking tour of grey area of Kolkata. This was a family trip with two keen photographers and two non photographers.. Attention to detail was excellent . Took us into amazing chinese shop in china town (thanks Stella) - when heat got too much for three of our group and they went back to hotel manhunt took me to the idol makers alleys in north Kolkata - not too be missed. Brilliant tour and manjit was real character and one of the most genuine people we met in india

2 Thank das90a

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“So good we did another one....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

We booked the Flower Market tour and enjoyed Manjit's company so much we booked another one the next morning as well.
Manjit turned up right on time and the fun began from there, Manjit is a great guide full of information and insights and really knows the ins and outs of Calcutta, we saw things we would never have seen on our own, down small alleys to see temples and churches, and meeting people Manjit has known for years working on the streets and in shops.
Also he is really helpful with tips and tricks for taking great photos.
The highlight of our time in Kolkata and when we come back we will definitely catching up with another tour.

2 Thank saykiaora
Adelaide, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great experience..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Manjit was very friendly and patient with me as I had organise the tour as a surprise for my partner who loves photography. He answered all my enquiries efficiently and suggested that we should do the Culture Kaleidoscope. And he was right..my partner and I thoroughly enjoyed the day..We started out at 6am and Manjit showed us a different side of Calcutta where everyone are just getting ready to start their day. Walking through the streets and alleys of Calcutta where no tourist would venture on their own was a great experience. We stopped and drank tea from a clay cup by the side alley (even for non tea drinkers..it's worth the taste), traditional Bengali sweets, chickpea batter 'crisps' with papaya salad and deep friend green chillies and other nibbles along the way.
All around it was a great experience for our first time in Calcutta. I would highly recommend Calcutta Photo Tours to anyone even if you're not a photographer as it is a great way to see the city other than the usual tourist attractions..
Thank you Manjit for the great tour :)

2 Thank Christina L
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
““Sometimes I do get to places just when God’s ready to have somebody click the shutter” – Ansel Adams”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

My third Photo Tour with Manjit turned out to be a surreal experience indeed. As a Kolkattan, I was not expecting to discover such a wonderful side of Kumartulli on a laid back, hot and sultry Sunday morning.

The place where Gods are Born (literally).

Manjit took me on a guided tour of the entire cycle of sourcing the clay from the Ganges to the detailed process of Idol making and the immersion of the Idols in the same waters where the clay to make them was sourced.

My apprehensions about taking a tour in this heat was blown away by the wonderful breeze from the Ganges and the shaded alleys banked by the cool wet clay from Ganges added to the pleasant experience of photographing this amazing world of traditional craftsmen.

The natural lights reaching the Idols under various stages of construction was a photographer’s delight indeed. Simple suggestions on optimum / ideal utilization of the natural lights by Manjit surely resulted in some interesting shots which made the amateur photographer in me feel encouraged.

His knowledge of photography and the various forms of the Idol making process made each minute of the 3 hours a photographer’s delight.

God Bless

Visited April 2013
3 Thank Gshroff
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great to way to get a true sense of Calcutta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

The two tours we did with Manjit were by far the highlight of our time spent in Calcutta. Not only did we see the main tourist destinations that were on our list, but we also spent time in different neighborhoods, and were able to get an inside look at this amazing city from a local who was born and raised in Calcutta. This was my first trip to India, and I had many questions about the culture, all of which Manjit took the time to answer thoughtfully. I would recommend a tour with Manjit to anyone looking to experience the sights, people and culture of Calcutta.

Visited July 2012