“Great tour”

Calcutta Photo Tours
Ranked #2 of 48 Tours in Kolkata (Calcutta)
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Heritage, Cultural, Special Interest, Photography Tours.Explore Calcutta (Kolkata) like a local. Get under the skin of this awe-inspiring city. Learn and appreciate the heritage, culture & history even if you are not crazy about photography. And if photography makes you smile, THIS is the one to do! Calcutta's BEST special interest tour operator. Experience us to experience what all these wonderful people felt!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 16, 2012

This was my frist trip to Kolkata and my parents, who had done a tour with Manjit before, recommended that I do this tour. It was one of the best things I did during my stay. I ended up doing another tour with Manjit a few days later.
The tours start early, before the streets get too busy. We went through the markets and to various chuches. It was a great way to learn more about the history of the city.
The second tour I went on was down to the river and flower markets then to an artists area.
Manjit is a great guide and knows a lot about the city and history of the area. I highly recommend this tour to anyone, even if you're not into photography.

2  Thank charlottesweb1
Manjit S, Owner at Calcutta Photo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad Calcutta Photo Tours could make this visit to my city an interesting one for you. It was really a pleasure to show you around on both the tours and I thank you for recommending these tours, the company and me.

Hope to have you back to Calcutta / India again sometime. Have a wonderful life!

All reviews
"chinese temple"
"amazing city"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and I took the tour based on the reviews here but me being a skeptic I wasn't completely convinced. But I admit the people were right, it was an excellent tour, I loved it, it surpassed all my expectations. The European Calcutta tour shows Kolkata in a totally different light, the golden hour of photography does some magic and transforms the crowded, busy Kolkata into the old Calcutta! Add to it the jokes and stories from Manjit and one gets a rare gift of a perfect morning.

Btw early morning is really the best time for this tour. After our tour/ walk was over we explored the city on our own and we had the whole day in front of us to do it. I urge you all to head over to Flurys after the tour and have a big brunch before you get busy with shopping and sight seeing. It was Manjit's recommendation too.

One thing which has to be mentioned - even though the description says it is a photo tour it isn't only that. The tour presents some good photographic opportunities but I think even someone who isn't into photography can enjoy this tour.

Thanks a lot Manjit for showing us the other side of Kolkata. I like the passion with which you do your work, it shines through when you talk about Kolkata. I wish you continued success. I already recommended your tour to fellow travelers and will continue to do so.
Before I end my review let me warn everyone that the tour is very addictive...it's hard to stop with just one!! :-) But go ahead guys...indulge, it will be worth it!

2  Thank Aashish J
Manjit S, Owner at Calcutta Photo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you Aashish for these wonderful words of praise and encouragement. I am glad I won over the skeptic in you and you enjoyed the experience. Calcutta is this amazing, enigmatic city that has really so much to offer and I am lucky to have been born in this city.

It is great that you went over to Flurys - for me it seems like the best thing to do after your have done your European Calcutta Tour - some baked beans on toast and coffee!

Thank you for mentioning that the tours are not limited to photography. Anyone who needs an introduction to the city and wants to get under the skin - go that one level deeper, and go beyond touristy will enjoy our tours.

Thank you for your recommendations and this wonderful review and of course the amazing photos you uploaded with the review. Hope to see you do the others when you come visiting Calcutta again.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My Husband and I were browsing through tripadvisor and we decided to check out the Calcutta Photo Tours. I think it was the best decision that we took while we were in Kolkata. The walk offers nice opportunities to capture brilliant pictures of Kolkata. The stories shared by Manit are very interesting and it adds a lot of fun and value to the whole experience. Manjit is very friendly, dedicated and excellent at his job. He provides many insightful tips about anything and everything Kolkata related. I hope to do the Mesmerizing Markets tour the next time I am in Kolkata. I recommend this tour to anyone who wants to see Kolkata in all it's glory!

2  Thank Franziska H
Manjit S, Owner at Calcutta Photo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thank you Franziska! I am so glad I feature amongst the best decisions during your stay in Calcutta. That sure means a lot to me. I am really happy that I could contribute to your experience in Calcutta.

I really want to thank you for coming back to Trip Advisor and writing this review, because many of us refer Trip Advisor before we go on a trip or finalize an activity, but a very few come back and contribute. It is thanks to travelers like you that this forum is what it is.

Hope to see you and your husband soon.
Take care.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

On my second trip to Kolkata I wanted to take a tour that would let me see some of "real" Kolkata and this tour definitely showed me that! The early morning start was well worth it to see and photography the busy, bustling vegetable and fish markets and surrounding streets.

Manjit was friendly, enthusiastic, informative and was so flexible - letting us take our time to get used to our surroundings and then helping us take some amazing photographs. It didin't matter if you were a photographic expert or a complete novice, Manjit made sure we all had a fantastic experience.

This is one of the best tours I've taken in years, I have some awesome photos and great memories. I will definitely take another tour with Manjit next time I'm in Kolkata.

2  Thank Karen D

Firstly, thank you so much for putting up a few pictures with your review. It sure shows people what they are coming in for. :-)

I still remember when you first contacted us through the company's facebook page and wanted a tour that was different from all that you have done and took into the fact that you were a food lover. So the Mesmerizing Markets tour seemed perfect for you. And after I saw your pictures I know you have really enjoyed the tour.

Thank you for all the praise and good things that you have said about the tour and me.

The line that makes my day is: "This is one of the best tours I've taken in years..." Thank you.
I sure hope to meet you when you come back next year, there is lots of Calcutta waiting to be explored.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 4, 2012

It was a really unsusual and interesting tour showing faces of Kolkata which we would not have been discovered on our own. It is really worth getting up that early :-). Great explanations and great atmosphere of entertainment and information while Manjit is a very nice and funny person who made us smile many times. And he showed us very unexpected and unusuaI sights and perspectives for the photos. If we manage to go to Kolkata again, we will definitely join one of the other Manjit tours.

1  Thank Valentina S

Thank you Vanetina for the "smiling" review.

These tours are more than just tours for me. They are a lot of "me". And I strongly feel that life is this wonderful chance we have and we have to maximize it. I am glad you enjoyed me being me and Calcutta being this wonderful place that is such a pleasure to show around. Do come back for more... after this tourist season is over and we take a breather we will be re-doing the website and adding more interesting tours. So if you do manage to be in my enigmatic city I sure will have another adventure ready for you.