“Culture Kaleidoscope”

Calcutta Photo Tours
Ranked #1 of 50 Tours in Kolkata (Calcutta)
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Heritage, Cultural, Special Interest, Photography Tours.Explore Calcutta (Kolkata) like a local. Get under the skin of this awe-inspiring city. Learn and appreciate the heritage, culture & history even if you are not crazy about photography. And if photography makes you smile, THIS is the one to do! Calcutta's BEST special interest tour operator. Experience us to experience what all these wonderful people felt!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 4, 2012

It was a really unsusual and interesting tour showing faces of Kolkata which we would not have been discovered on our own. It is really worth getting up that early :-). Great explanations and great atmosphere of entertainment and information while Manjit is a very nice and funny person who made us smile many times. And he showed us very unexpected and unusuaI sights and perspectives for the photos. If we manage to go to Kolkata again, we will definitely join one of the other Manjit tours.

1  Thank Valentina S
Manjit S, Owner at Calcutta Photo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thank you Vanetina for the "smiling" review.

These tours are more than just tours for me. They are a lot of "me". And I strongly feel that life is this wonderful chance we have and we have to maximize it. I am glad you enjoyed me being me and Calcutta being this wonderful place that is such a pleasure to show around. Do come back for more... after this tourist season is over and we take a breather we will be re-doing the website and adding more interesting tours. So if you do manage to be in my enigmatic city I sure will have another adventure ready for you.

All reviews
"chinese temple"
"amazing city"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed December 2, 2012

It was awesome! I never get up so early in Calcutta and the air is surprisingly clean in the morning. Manjit is a very nice guy and able to provide as much information as he could, he told us story about the market and show us the most happening vegetable market in Calcutta. It was a challenging photography tour because of the insufficient light source in the market, however, the result of the photo is magnificent. If I am back in Calcutta again, I will definitely join another tour with Manjit.

2  Thank StevenW513

Thank you Steven.

Yes, the Mesmerizing Markets tour sure offers some wonderful yet challenging photo ops. But I have always had people loving the tour and coming back with some amazing pictures. I am glad the same worked for you too. It sure is deep end of the pool. The early morning start, the sea of humanity that you need to wade through and the sheer energy sure is something which is to be experienced to be believed. Thank you in believing in Calcutta Photo Tours. Come back for more.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I took the Cultural Kaleidoscope tour in mid November (2012), and greatly enjoyed the experience. Manjit delivers on everything he promises, and then some. He is punctual, well informed, has a great sense of humor, and is an unflappable octopus playing the drums !

The tour is well structured, but still allows for stops and extra time when one needs it. This is something photographers will appreciate, as often, one has to wait a few minutes for a composition to fall into place. That said, this tour is also a good value for those not into photography, as it provides a great historical perspective into the evolution of various native and European communities that once comprised colonial Calcutta.

I would recommend this for visitors and residents alike.

Confession: I lived in central Calcutta during my college years. I was familiar with old Chinatown, but had managed to overlook most of the places that Manjit took me to.

1  Thank El_Guapo_Zico

Thank you for this beautiful review. It is always wonderful having photographers on tour with me because then there is an added dimension. I am glad that you found the structure, the pauses and the frames that this tour offers perfect for photographers like you.

Thank you also for highlighting the fact that the tour is equally fun for non-photographers (if there is anything like that because everyone takes pictures... even if it is with cell phone cameras) who want to understand the history and culture of this wonderful city.

It is big compliment for me that in spite of the fact that you lived in the neighbourhood for some years I still could spring up a few surprises.

Thank you once again, and come back for more. :-)

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Just got back from a photo tour with Calcutta Photo Tours this morning. I took the "Culture Kaleidoscope" & Manjit, our guide, showed me parts of Kolkata that most folks from southern Kolkata don't even know exist! From Bow Barracks (one of the original Anglo Indian settlements of Kolkata) to a couple of Zoroastrian Fire Temples to a Baghdadi Jewish Synagogue to a Chinese temple and Portugese & Armenian churches, wow, makes me wonder at how little I know my own city. Thanks Manjit for opening my eyes. If you like walking & are not afraid of being amongst the crowds (actually it was quite peaceful early on from 7am -10am), make sure to take this tour. Even if you're not a photo junkie, it's absolutely worth it.

Thank you! Nothing pleases me more than making a Calcuttan fall in love with Calcutta again. Your praises make me want to bring forth more interesting tours... and I hope you come back for more and the next time give me a 5 star rating instead of the 4. :-)

See more reviews
Reviewed November 29, 2012

A friend of mine advised me to contact Manjit and to go for one of his tours. I must admit I hesitated a while because I had myself walked a lot in Kolkata and had experienced wonderful experiences without any guide, walking alone in Kolkata. What would this trip would bring me? But my friend told me so much good about Manjit and his tours that I jumped in it.
I'm so happy to have done so: it has been a real pleasure. We spent one of the finest mornings in Kolkata: of course, I could see a lot by myself, but then, I had the stories matching the views. Fantastic stories with a wonderful guide. Funny, cultured and open-minded. Suddenly, I saw buildings and details that I had passed by before, without noticing them. With Manjit and his newborn child's eyes, I met the soul of Kolkata. I can just recommend you to book a trip with him! Moreover, you'll leave with amazing photos.

1  Thank Pandine

Thank you so much for those very kind words. I am so glad that I could make that morning one of your finest mornings in Calcutta (Kolkata). It comes as a big compliment to me that I could add to your experience in spite of all the walking around that you had done on your own.

Thank you for feeling the soul of Calcutta with me. It is my biggest joy to help people connect with my amazing city. I guess that is what sets us apart from the other companies here. I am glad you saw this city as I see - like you put - with my "newborn child's eyes".

It was truly wonderful answer all the questions you had. I understand that the cultures and customs in India can be confusing and overwhelming, that is why I always encourage people on my tour to ask me about anything - without feeling embarrassed. I am glad I could help you understand things a little better.

See you again, sometime.