“I love this building but what sets the hotel apart is the excellent staff.”

Hyatt Regency Kolkata
Ranked #11 of 234 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed November 2, 2013

An impressive drive up to the entrance gives the feeling of arriving somewhere special & you're not disappointed when you step inside.Most of the public areas centre around a huge space in the middle of the hotel with passing clouds projected on the high ceiling, the large window about 8 floors high overlooking a relaxing tropical pool area at the rear, nice touch is a children's play area on real grass.Our room overlooked the pool (ask for this) & was of high quality. There's a choice of 3 restaurants, all very good we thought: the Indian & Italian are very popular with Kolkata folks so book early.
For sight seeing local taxi is half hour into city (outside peak times) costs between £2 & £5
The staff are very well trained, friendly & made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed: August 2013
HyattRegency_K0lkata, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Peter

Thank you so much for your review of Hyatt Regency Kolkata after your stay in August. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and the team is very proud that they have been able to make your stay successful. Please let us know when you are planning to visit us again, we are looking forward to be at your service again soon.

With the best regards from Kolkata

Reviewed October 30, 2013

My very first word of advice is to always make arrangements with the hotel to have transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to your destination. Luckily, this was out second stop on our four city business trip and we knew to book this.

We arrived at the Hyatt by 9pm after a long day of training and travel. We were greeted immediately by hotel staff who were most helpful. The staff transported our bags through security and to the front desk.

We quickly moved to check in. The staff was more than polite and helpful. The lobby was beautiful. The staff offered to show us to our rooms, which was most helpful and I encourage travelers to take the staff up on this offer. The entry to the rooms is different than in the United States, if you are used to travel in the United States.

The room was absolutely beautiful and spacious. I was on the 17th floor and do not know if this was a standard room. It was a suite style (office, living room, bedroom, bathroom and dressing area).

The breakfast buffet was gorgeous with many varieties. The staff was most accomodating and offered to bring plates from the buffet to the table, as well as, juice, coffee, tea etc.

The extent of my stay was 9 hours and it was most pleasant.

Room Tip: 17th floor was great, quiet and spacious (1701)
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Amy B

thank you very much for your review of Hyatt Regency Kolkata after your recent stay. We are all very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and your feedback about our employees being helpful and friendly, our rooms and the breakfast buffet makes us proud and motivated to give our best every day ! We all hope you have a little more time during your next visit to enjoy the facilities and we hope to welcome you soon back to our hotel.

With warm regards from the City of Joy - Kolkata

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Location is in north side of Kolkata - little away from all happening places [which are mostly in south side]. However, the Hotel is very good - great food and buffet - affordable for a five star quality. Rooms are smaller compared to other high end places - hence little low value for quality.
Feel and vibe of the place is very good.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank frndSid
HyattRegency_K0lkata, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear frndSid

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Kolkata after your visit earlier this year. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially that you enjoyed the food and services in our restaurants. We will certainly share your feedback with our team and hoping to welcoming you soon back to our hotel.

Thank you once again and with best regards for the festive season

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I had a short stay for one night in Hyatt Regency. I have stayed in many similar hotels (india and abroad) and I can safely say this was not up to the standards of a 5 star hotel. Let me first list down the good things about this property. The exterior is beautiful, the ambiance is fantastic, the service is good, the reception staff is very cordial and helpful, the garden and the pool looked fabulous.

Now the drawbacks, which you do not actually associate with a 5 star hotel especially for the amount of money that you pay for food and its services.

- The quality & quantity of food was sub standard to say the least !! To make matters worse, its extremely pricey (though I expect the same in a 5 star).It was easily one of the worst food experiences if compared to any of the other 5 star hotels I have stayed (Windsor Sheraton etc.)

- The TV did not have a DTH connection !!! Can you believe it?? We are now getting DTH connection enabled TVs even in 3 star hotels !!! Thus, inevitably the reception was not good though watchable.

- WiFi access is chargeable !! Again a shocker ! Much lesser hotels are providing WiFi access free (not only in the lobby but also in all the rooms)

- We had only one pair of bathroom slippers for two persons, Unacceptable !!

- I had a complimentary breakfast for my booking. But my flight was early morning, so I had to leave by 4 in the morning. However, there was no intimation by the staff to atleast pack something or give something in lieu of the missed breakfast. Mind you, really good hotels which boast themselves as 5 star do take care of these things.But this point was one of the least of my concerns,anyway.

Overall experience was ok, though I expected much more from a brand like Hyatt.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattRegency_K0lkata, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Sugato11,

thank you for your very detailed review of Hyatt Regency Kolkata. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed the facilities, ambiance and the services provided to you by our reception team.

With regards to your constructive feedback on our food and beverage pricing I have discussed this with our Food and Beverage Director, it would have been great if this feedback would have been shared with the team in the restaurant, we surely can arrange for a bigger portion. Also the HDTV system for the TVs, we are already in the process to upgrade our system and we hope to implement the same by Quarter 1 next year. Please note that our Housekeeping Manager has noted your feedback in the slippers, which should have been two pairs of course if the room is occupied as a double occupancy. Our sincere apologies for this oversight of our team. Furthermore I am surprised to hear that our Front Desk Team did not offer a packed breakfast for your early departure. If we get to know that a customer is checking out before 6.30 am within a lead time of around an hour the Chefs happily arrange for vegetarian or non vegetarian lunchbox as per the preferences.

I hope you could consider giving us another chance to be at your service, please let me know if your travels are bringing you back to Kolkata and please allow me to personally take care about your reservation and ensure that your stay is comfortable.

With warm regards

Reviewed October 13, 2013

When I visited the Hotel in September I was offered a room which was very noisy and I also faced some hot water issues. Due to my back pain I always prefer to take a hot shower but unfortunately there was no hot water in my room and I could not beleive that even the technicians could not fix it for me. My room shift was also done after several request. This is not expected from Hyatt, I am disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ROCKINGTRAVEL10

Dear ROCKINGTRAVEL10,

thank you for your review of your experience at Hyatt Regency Kolkata. I am most concerned that you had experienced a problem with the temperature of the hot water supply in the hotel. As it is utmost important for us to ensure that we do not have issues like this as the comfort of our guests is the number one priority I would love to learn more details about this and if you would contact us under kolka-hrk@hyatt.com would be highly appreciated. Our Director of Engineering has been informed about the same and will ensure that

Please let me know if your agenda is bringing you back to the city, it would be my pleasure to ensure your have a comfortable and smooth stay.

With warm regards

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Over the years i have been staying across many hotels and i know a bit about the hospitality business but I would like to mention that my last visit to the Hyatt Regency kolkata was not so good. I had visited during the A.R Rahman show in kolkata and my check in was delayed by good 30mins. The reception and the staff were too much focused with the celebrities around and I remainded un noticed.My question remains if I am paying for the services why is this this kind of lapses.The Hyatt management should know not to driscriminate between celebrities and guests who are also their valued customers.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
HyattRegency_K0lkata, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear jw298,

Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Kolkata on Tripadvisor.
My sincere apologies to you that our team at the reception has not been attentive to you during your stay and especially as you mentioned that your stay was during the stay of Mr. Rahman, we had a specially dedicated team taking care of this group, not part of the front desk team, so no other customer would be inconvenienced. That this was still the case I will take up with the team and I thank you for making us aware of the same.

I hope that this will not deter you from visiting us again and please let me know if you are planning to come back to the City, it will be my pleasure to assist with any requirements and ensure your stay is as you would expect from a Hyatt Hotel.

With kind regards

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice, and will so again regularly. Ultra modern, clean, and great service. Rooms are spacious, large comfortable bed, and bathroom area that is best in India - pleasant surprise if you travel Indian hotels often. Several dining choices and food quality and selection are well above average with plenty of non-Indian choices as well. First class fitness center, spa and pool as well. Everything you would expect from Hyatt.

Room Tip: I've always stayed on the upper two floors - both have been great.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
HyattRegency_K0lkata, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kolkata, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear rickboozell

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Kolkata and thank you for your feedback given on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your feedback on our services, rooms and variety of restaurants makes us very proud and motivates us to give our best every day. We will certainly share this feedback with the entire team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon back to Hyatt Regency Kolkata!

With kind regards