“Great design, service could be better.”

Hyatt Regency Kolkata
Ranked #12 of 224 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed May 3, 2012

The hotel is just about 30 minutes from the airport, and about 40 minutes from the centre (in the rush hour). The benefit of staying in this location is that it is peaceful, less polluted, and has space with great gardens. These things not possible staying in the centre.
The building is a great design. The gym (free to guetss) is 1st class and professional quality, worth staying here just for the gym.
The room was on the 4th floor overlooking the pool at the rear. It was well designed and comfortable.
I paid for an upgrade to get access to the Executive lounge, internet and breakfast. Very nice lounge ( and use of conference room if needed).
So far so good.
The only thing that made this less that top quality 5 star was the service. The little things count when you are paying top rates. Some staff were really good and helpful. One or two were not up to the standard set by the others (like being more interested in their mobile phone than dealing with customers).
It is a good hotel and its worth staying there, but the management need to pay more attention to the little things.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed April 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed for one night - hopover before a vacation in Sikkim.
Location is great for travel to the airport and also to say Park street for some local delicacies. Room and bathroom were both nice and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was delicious with some interesting choices.
Service however was terrible all through the hotel. Just 3 examples at the reception/lobby manager: a) we were given a room opposite what looked like a service/storage room. In the first few minutes we entered our room, we could hear everything which was being said plus all other noises from the room across. We mentioned this to the reception and were told specifically that the same would be taken care. We went out for dinner and when we return - voila what do we find - still being disturbed by the noise across. b) we were helpfully asked by the reception if I would like to enroll for the rewards program. On saying yes, we signed off some form and were told that the temporary card would be slid across the door into the room in a short while - same never happened. c) I had stayed in Hyatt Mumbai last August and my European address then was maintained in their database. I gave my new Indian address at the time of check-in and asked them to change the same - while checking out next day same was still not updated.
Was not a great start to our vacation, which otherwise turned out to be nice

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Venkatesht
Reviewed April 6, 2012

When I bailed on the last online "5 star" Trip Advisor rated boutique hotel (in actuality 3 stars or less..) in Kolkata, I went upscale for immediate relief. Boy did I get it.

This is a Hyatt premier property from start to finish. International friendly, every amenity you will no doubt expect. Extreme (and I can't emphisize it enough), fanatical staff will serve you. The Kolkata staff is nothing short of incredible. The spa and pool are both terrific.

This is a tough city to get around in. Among the very toughest, even for a world traveller. What you will want is this oasis. When the "Crazy" cab ride has left your insides boiling, hop out to into paradise.

Great food. (I mean it) High end all the way from the bakery to the three restaurants. Best breakfast concept I've seen ever, and baby I've been around!

Am I gushing? Well this is a great property. Come to Kolkata, have a blast. Stay here.

Drool worthy: The fresh bread in the bakery, and the Indian cuisine. OMG!!! Loved it.

Issues: No clock in the room. (isn't that odd?) and no bottle opener for the Coronas. I've been chisling them open with the tea spoons, which (to their credit) are not even dinged.

Happiness!

Room Tip: This property is in an out of the way street. In Kolkata, that is GOLD!! sheer GOLD. Any room is qu...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ChicagoanInBengal
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Hi
Went to Kolkata last month for some exhibition. Although, they are a typical Hyatt product but nothing really special about it. Stayed for two days.
While going back the hotel driver dropped us at the wrong terminal (that is when we booked a Totyota camry. least expected from a hotel in that class). We had to walk back to the other terminal with our luggage.
Upon calling they did return us our amount they charged for Airport drop.

Room Tip: Space for bigger trolleys, strolleys is a problem in the cupboard. You may have to fight for taking...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 4, 2012

A great hotel experience. Room was great, staff friendly and helpful, food good. We had a room to the right of the main entrance which overlooks the lake and main road and itinerant construction workers having a sh** in the morning....not the hotel's fault or the workers for that matter but probably one to avoid if possible.
The only other unfortunate memory was one waiter who continually picked his nose, shoved his finger in his ear and then continued serving meals. Most people probably wouldn't even notice this but once you have it was tough to look at anything else! Anyway I guess his manager will be looking out for him now. Despite this, I'd still give it a 5 star rating.
They had a travel desk who booked tickets for us and were very helpful.
They also hail a yellow cab for you and also tell the driver what fare he's going to get so that relieves the hassle of bartering. Watch out for the plagues of mosquitos in the cabs early in the morning.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Room Size was ok. Views from the room was a dirty filthy field. However one could hear noise of people talking the lobby; hence not very sound proof.
Bathroom size was good.
However was shocked to note open electricity box below the washbasin shelf. Shared the details with the lobby manager at checkout.
Restaurants was a mixed experience. While north indian dinner was good on first night, regretted spending on Italian next day. Returned the veg biryani on following day as it smelled bad. Though they didnt charge us the biryani.
Staff - Usually courteous
Breakfast was quiet decent.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2012

This hotel is luxurious, well maintained and very clean. It is quite a long way from Kolkata town centre. The traffic an Kolkata is very congested and can take some time to travel into town - this in itself is an experience.

Would I stay at the Hyatt Regency again? Most definitely - yes.

Upon arrival, all cars are security checked and staff perform a security check on guests at arrival. The staff are extremely courteous and greeted me by name from day 1.

My room was contemporary in style. A large bed (7') a desk, easy chairs and drink making facilities. The marble bathroom was large and the service provided in my room was very good. New bottled water appeared whenever I had used up those bottles previously left. Fresh fruit as required and tea and coffee making facilities were also in the room. My room faced North and I found that I was quite cold at night and needed the heating on.

As I was there for over a month, I found the laundry facilities very good and beautifully ironed and returned either folded or on hangers.

There was a good choice of food either traditional local food (curry) or a western restaurant (Italian). I would recommend eating only in the hotel as local restaurants may be a little suspect - I discovered this at the expense of suffering from deli-belly). I found it hard to face the curry served at breakfast but traditional UK breakfasts were provided and the restaurant would cook anything I requested. Ultimately I ended up eating in the Italian restaurant as I found the food more agreeable to me and the fish (from Scotland) wonderful. A two course meal with water for one person cost approximately £30.

The gym was well equipped and the spa area very good.

The outdoor pool was lovely to swim in and staff are very hygiene concious ensuring that everyone showers before they enter the pool.

The hotel will provide a chauffeured car (at cost) should you wish to go sight-seeing or ask them to book a taxi for you. Beware of the yellow taxis as many of these look as if they wouldn't pass a UK MOT.

Don't forget to tip staff as the is expected. The tip doesn't have to be large - just a few small coins is gratefully received.

The hotel has a small shop which sells souvenirs (jewellery,carpets etc) I found the prices to be quite reasonable and very competitive with shops in the town centre.

As I travelled out at the beginning of January I wasn't sure what to wear. I arrived to find it very cold and thick with fog and smog. The beginning of January was unusually cold and I was glad that I had taken my winter coat. On the other hand two weeks later I was sun bathing in my swimming costume.

Finally don't bother to have any clothes laundered before you come home - when you open your suitcase the smell will be incredible and you will believe that you have brought part of Kolkata with you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over-looking the pool
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business