All reviews sudder street national museum indian museum mid price hotel bar each evening bars and restaurants official tour central kolkata location is excellent travel desk spacious room an oasis three nights front office staff comfortable stay market
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Very friendly staff but why they don't issue remote controls to go with the television is inexplicable - perhaps they don't work! There was none in my room and I was told you have to ask for one. I did and none turned up . I had to ask more than once and when I finally procured one it didn;t work. By this time, I gave up

Hover it is in a very central position

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed November 10, 2008

We stayed at the Fairlawn last time we were in Calcutta but never again. So we went to the Lytton just down Sudder Street. It is a terrific location. The rooms are very good The bar is good. The restaurants are good and the breakfast buffet is a bit eclectic (the beef casserole got me) but you can get a good breakfast quickly. Sure there are a few room staff that are a bit overeager but that’s India. The front desk was very helpful. And we even got flowers and a chocolate cake for my husband’s birthday. No complaints at all.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank OldOztravellers
Reviewed February 10, 2008

I have to say that I recognise and endorse a lot of the negative comment in other reviews. There were a lot of people running around doing non-jobs, often hovering for tips, while the basics were often lacking. To be fair this chronic over-staffing seems to be a Calcutta thing in general. However, I would single out the reception for particular criticism in this respect. Again lots of people insisting on all sorts of bureaucracy but not prepared to do anything to help or even provide the most elementary service one would expect of the most basic hotel. For example, it took a couple of days to get a copy of our reservation as proof of address in India in order to buy a local pay as you go mobile phone. When I asked them to book a car to take me to the airport on departure they had no idea how long it took to the airport (the most basic information for a hotel reception to hold I would have thought) and then refused to do this and told me to hail a cab outside. After making a lot of fuss they agreed to make a booking and have my bill made up the next morning. However, on checking next morning I found nothing had been done and had to go through the whole process again. I was given the distinct impression that I should not have complained and was treated with extreme rudeness on checking out.

The overstaffing was also apparent in the dining room with twice as many waiters running breakfast in a room a third the size with a quarter of the efficiency of any European hotel. One evening we were put right next to the renovations to the bar area and had to breathe in strong solvent fumes. On the plus side, although breakfast was a bit strange at times (cottage pie?), the lunches and evening meals, especially the Thai, was generally rather good .

I also agree about the constant disturbance in the room. This became very wearing. It would not be so bad if the basics had been there but, for example, the provision of hot water was sporadic and unreliable. On the housekeeping side, the dhobi service was excellent and reasonably priced.

Overall I thought that £65 a night was a lot for for India. I could get a better room for this sort of money in Brussels or Berlin. This hotel should think less about the bells and whistles and concentrate on gettng the basics right. It should also pass some of the money on to its staff so that they do not constantly pester guests for tips.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Euroscrote
Reviewed September 27, 2007

I stayed here for a day on my way through Calcutta, hoping to get in some sightseeing as it is centrally located. I had booked one night's accommodation online (a travel website offering hotel bookings).

The hotel room was clean, however the linen, though freshly washed had a decidedly grey tinge. The food was reasonable - I had the buffet breakfast and room service - and the price was what you'd expect in a mid-range hotel.

However, my shock came when I checked out. Despite having accepted my booking and the voucher when arriving the hotel refused to honour my website voucher and insisted I pay again. So I'm now in the midst of trying to recoop my accommodation cost from the website. I'm only happy it was one night and not several as this could have been a significant burden.

Finally Calcutta was flooded due to the weather, and so was the hotel. So if you're visiting during the rains you might want to stay somewhere not in a flood area.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
5  Thank ellipsis000
Reviewed September 19, 2007

Didn't think much of it, clean enough but faded decor, awful food, disorganised and messed up travel booking and one of the reception staff was very rude.

Stayed: May 2007