All reviewssudder streetnational museumindian museummid pricehotel bareach eveningbars and restaurantsofficial tourcentral kolkatalocation is excellenttravel deskspacious rooman oasisthree nightsfront office staffcomfortable staymarket
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed here for a couple of nights. Good location, unexciting hotel.

The guidebooks suggest it provides comfort but I am not sure about this. The first night the staff were drilling from around midenight to 2am. No idea what they were doing and when I asked reception the next day they suggested they knew nothing about it. The second night we were called at 11pm asking to see our passports for a second time. Not much idea re service.

Staff hang around outside the door and wait very obviously for tips. It gets annoying.

Breakfast room dark and depressing - no windows.

Good laundry service.

The hotel secured a standard taxi for us All the way to the airport the driver moaned that they had done him out of 100R. Price is 250R and hotel charge 350R of which they take a cut. To avoid this get your own taxi in the street.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2011

On my arrival in Kolkata, I thought this hotel was a bit run down, did not like the noisy window air conditioner or the dark room, the filthy toilet in the restaurant or the floor wallahs hanging around waiting for tips. On my return after a month traveling in Jharkhand and Bihar, I thought this hotel was a haven of Western civilization! However there are cheaper and newer hotels just down the road which would also be cleaner. Sudder St is a convenient location and I walked to many tourist destinations but the beggars that live there and the hawkers for the New Market are confronting for a traveller on a first visit to India. The hotel was helpful with changing money and getting taxis. It has two computers for guests and Internet connection was fine. Room service was very good.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are noisy at night, but have lots of natural light from large windows and balcony.
Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I had some problem in booking a hotel online, so I accepted the suggestion of a friend who told me that another friend of hers spent a few days at the Lytton and found it ok: up to European standard. I arrived and the check in was quick, fine, I was given a room with all I asked for (high floor, no smoking, big bed). I was given a room on the fourth floor, but the lift only reach the third, so you must consider it if you travel heavy or you have problems in climbing up stairs. I asked the guy who accompanied me to my room to get a card for the wi-fi connection. As the bedsheets did not look that clean I pulled down the blanquet and found a big stain in the middle of the bed, so I told the guy, who in the meantime had come back with the wi-fi card, to send someone from the house keeping to change the bed. It was done quickly. I went out and when I got back and prepared to go to bed, i rolled up the carpet next to the bed, as it looked a bit dusty... In the space between the bed and the side table the dirt was horrible and when I had a look under the bed I realised that it had not been cleaned for ages. As it was very late, I went to bed, not using the duvet that the cleaner pretended to have changed. When I left the room in the morning, a cleaner asked me if he had to clean up the room and I told him that he could do it after my breakfast. I asked him to clean under the bed because it was filthy. When I got back late in the afternoon, the same guy was waiting for me outside my room. He told me he had cleaned everything properly and that he was just about to finish his shift=he was asking for a tip that I gave him. Only after coming back late again I realised that he had not cleaned anything and that the dirt under the bed was still there! next to the dusty carpet I had removed the night before. Considering that the window air conditioner was very noisy and the buffet breakfast was very poor as for international food, I would not suggest anybody to go to this hotel. Another odd thing happened the second night I was there. As the taxi driver did not know exactly where the hotel was, though I told him the name and the address, we spent quite some time looking for it: all the light were off and you could not see the name of the hotel lit up as it usually happens...

Room Tip: Do not book a room in this hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank max4u
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed in this Hotel last week for 1 night. They charged me Rs. 5000. ( US$ 100. present rate ). I booked over phone and they said it was 3 Star. I doubt even if it is a single Star. The ambiance outside my room was terrible. It was worse than a lodge of Rs. 500. in Delhi Paharganj area. I feel cheated and looted.
There was a window AC in the room. Food was just OK. Breakfast was just OK.
I sent a mail to the Front Desk for my Ticket Printout and they said it never arrived.

Room Tip: Choose only if you are stranded in the middle of the night for the price they charged me
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Stayed here for two nights in Kolkata. The room was spacious but old. It was located next to their service area near a back lane and it was quite noisy in the morning. The air con is the old window type so it is noisy.

Location is very convenient to New Market, eating places and the city center. We found the reception staff helpful.

All in all, it is a pretty old hotel. Apart from the convenience, I do not have much to report about it. If you are just looking for a decent stay for the night, it's ok.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends