“An Experience by itself” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oberoi Grand

The Oberoi Grand
Ranked #1 of 216 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
“An Experience by itself”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

The Oberoi Grand is one of the rare remaining remniscient of the British Era in India. The Opulence, hospitality and grandeur of the times is still reflected in this unique Hotel.

Whether it is the Sheer Size of the Hotel, The Central Location, the proximity to the Down Town or the Service, this Hotel is an Experience in itself.

Wake up to the early east India Sunrise and then enjoy the scrumptous breakafast thoughtfully laid. Take a dip in the pool or go to the well equipped gym followed by a special massage to pamper you. Hit the streets of Kolkatta as soon as you exit the hotel. The downtown takes you with it's age old culture...the Curio Shops, Cinemas, Walks, Traditional Eateries...try it.

Room Tip: Try the ones with the Balcony.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GEORGEKURUVILLACAL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor.

The colonial architecture and Victorian style interiors make The Oberoi Grand a unique destination in itself should you wish to experience grandeur along with all modern day facilities. It is a preferred hotel of both leisure and business travellers, as it is located in the business district and within close proximity of all historic places of interest of Kolkata.

Our endeavour is to offer excellent accommodation, food and prompt service to all our guests and my team and I feel privileged that you have considered writing this review.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.

George Kuruvilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Located in the historical center of Kolkata, this cosy and unique hotel provides you with the comfort and the luxury one can expect from a five star hotel. The service staff is caring and extremely welcoming. The thai restaurant is a must stop as the food is delicious and not so costly...

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank You for choosing to stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata recently. We appreciate the time you have taken out to write this review on Trip Advisor.

Known as the “Grande Dame of Chowringhee, The Oberoi Grand is an oasis in the middle of the bustling metropolitan city. I am delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay. Your appreciation has been a tremendous source of inspiration for our team members and I am sure your words of encouragement would definitely go a long way in inspiring and motivating the team to deliver Service Par Excellence to all our discerning guests.

Our Thai specialty restaurant Baan Thai is one of the finest Thai restaurants in the country and has won several accolades for its authentic cuisine and unique culinary experience.

Concord, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

The hotel is located centrally, an oasis in the middle of a busy shopping area. I had the feeling that the hotel staff was impersonating the British, rather than highlighting the wonderful hospitality of Indians. They do say,"Nameste" with prayer hands and have some Indian foods in the breakfast and lunch buffets, but you could actually forget that you are in India. The rooms are spacious and clearly from the British era. However, there was a Q-tip with a previous guest's ear wax on my night stand when we checked in. The food was good, but the host was sarcastic when we asked for filtered, rather than bottled, water. My husband, who is Indian, went to the buffet and was shadowed by a waiter the entire time. Rather than ask if you need help, the waiters start explaining what is there and even put the food on your plate instead of letting you take what you want--a benefit of buffets. I went to the concierge to ask for some help about entertainment and he told me that he would give me the newspaper and I could find something myself!!! In all fairness, the other concierge (Neel?) was very helpful. In the midst of this very pretentious environment, one of the bellman interrupted our lunch to give us a receipt. I was stunned. I also received a sarcastic comment at the pool. I wish the staff were less formal and more friendly. I wish I felt like I was in India. I wish the service was less intrusive and more helpful. On the other hand, I enjoyed the room, the pool, and the quiet. Would I stay there again? I honestly don't think so. But then I have no idea what other options are available in Kolkata.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Saussy
GEORGEKURUVILLACAL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata recently. Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

The Oberoi Grand is referred to as the “Grand Dame of Kolkata” which depicts old world charm and Victorian style architecture and the hotel and its setting is indeed intimate. Our pool side rooms have a great view of the swimming pool which has often been termed as an “oasis” by most of the guest.

I am concerned to learn that your experience was not up to expectation and have shared your detailed feedback with our team. I can assure you that the required corrective action regarding the conversation being less friendly and more formal has been addressed with the team. As our breakfast buffet is elaborate and has various regional dishes it is a practise that our team members normally accompany a guest to the buffet to explain the items there. Our Executive Housekeeper and I sincerely apologise to your regarding the used Q tip found in the room.

It has always been our endeavour to offer excellent accommodation, food and service to all our guests, on this occasion, however I apologise that we were unable to live up to your expectations in terms of overall experience at the hotel.

I sincerely thank you for your patronage and for your feedback. The team and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi Grand and Kolkata and reassure you of our best services.

George.Kuruvilla@OberoiHotels.com
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

This wonderful hotel is located amongst all the city life, markets and general chaos that makes this city so interesting. It is also very near all the major sites, parks etc so is ideal for the tourist. Our room was excellent as was the service. We only ate breakfast in the hotel but this was very good.

Room Tip: Inside rooms have view of pool and gardens rather than the busy streets.
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Known as the “Grande Dame of Chowringhee”, The Oberoi Grand is an oasis in the middle of the bustling metropolitan city. As it is located in the heart of the city, it is very convenient for both, leisure and business travellers and has very close proximity to the business district and to places of historical importance such as Victoria Memorial, Indian Museum, St. Paul's Cathedral, Howrah station, Eden Gardens or the Boat Jetty and many other landmarks.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed in a suite room for 8 nights, hotel staff from the front desk to the house keeping were all superb and especially the staff working in the restaurants, so friendly and attentive to our needs, the food from breakfast through to dinner was great. Really can't fault the place for every aspect of service, had a great time and will return one day. Absolutely loved the city also, the people so relaxed and friendly.

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

The Oberoi Grand is referred to as the “Grand Dame of Kolkata” which depicts old world charm and Victorian style architecture with intimate settings. I am delighted that you enjoyed staying in our Classic Suite which has a great view of the swimming pool and the garden and has often been termed as an “oasis” by most of the guest.

Both the restaurants in the hotel, La Terrasse and Baan Thai, are highly acclaimed restaurants of the city and I am glad that you enjoyed the food and service in there.

Thank you for having stayed with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi Grand and Kolkata.

West Malling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

Have stayed here several times and am never disappointed with the whole experience. A beautiful, calm oasis in the bedlam that exists outside! The service is unparalleled. I had lost a cufflink on my journey to Calcutta - a new complimentary set was delivered to my room within minutes of checking in! Wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Calcutta other than this place.

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Known as the “Grande Dame of Chowringhee”, The Oberoi Grand is an oasis in the middle of the bustling metropolitan city. Because of its location, it is convenient for both, leisure and business travellers.

I am delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay. Your appreciation has been a tremendous source of inspiration for our team members and I am sure your words of encouragement would definitely go a long way in inspiring and motivating the team to deliver Service Par Excellence to all our discerning guests. Indeed many of our guests identify the hotel as an oasis to come back to after spending a long day in the city.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi Grand and Kolkata.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed in a large suit overlooking the pool. The hotel atmosphere is really great so is the location and service. Food way okay but nothing special we tried both the Thai and Indian restaurant. I would recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Claes71
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking out the time to write this review on Trip Advisor.

The Oberoi Grand’s central location and proximity to business houses and places of historic importance often makes it the ideal choice for both business and leisure travellers.

I have shared your concern regarding the food not being as per your expectation at our restaurants with our Executive Chef. We assure you that on your next visit our Chefs would prepare dishes as per your taste as our endeavour is to provide excellent service and food combined with warm and efficient service.

The team and I sincerely look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back.