“Fantastic service in beautiful colonial era hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Oberoi Grand

The Oberoi Grand
Ranked #1 of 218 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
California
“Fantastic service in beautiful colonial era hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed twice at the Oberoi Grand both at the beginning and end of my trip to India. I was extremely impressed both times. The service is both very efficient and very friendly. The architecture of the rooms and lobby is beautiful. The Oberoi is located in the center of crowded Kolkata and the hotel is both a literal and and metaphorical oasis of calm. The included breakfast buffet is good. The reasonably priced coffee shop has both Indian and western selections. The more expensive Thai restaurant is also very good. If I return to Kolkata I will stay at the Oberoi again

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read such encouraging comments for the hotel and the team who are equally pleased and join me in thanking you. The hotel is located in heart of the bustling city of Kolkata and as you walk into its doors, it transcends into a calm and relaxed ambience.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding the food at La Terrasse, one of the finest All Day Dining restaurants in the city. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.

George Kuruvilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Wow! What an absolutely superb hotel. Although I was there on business, I was genuinely sorry to have to leave to go home.

First thing to mention is the staff. The best hotel in the world would be nothing without its staff. I was always greeted with a smile and absolutely nothing was a problem. The staff here really did go out of their way to ensure that my stay was unforgettable

I don't usually refer to individual staff when writing reviews as it can be a little unfair on other excellent staff that don't get a mention. However, the executive sous chef, Mr. Aungshuman Chakraborty, deserves a special mention for his outstanding personal service, attention to detail and an absolute gentleman to boot. He rustled me up one of the bets steaks I have ever eaten - to put that into context, I once had steak in a Michelin star restaurant and Mr. Charaborty's was better.

I love the architecture of the building. it's a typical old British colonial structure that's around 140 years old. With the solid oak doors and alcatraves, wooden furniture, high ceilings and period decor it has character and charm in abundance.

I found myself in a premier room and it was superb. it over looked the pool and had two enormous floor-to-ceiling windows which made the room extremely bright and airy and gave the appearance of being more spacious. The room was in the same vein of decor as the hotel, all wood and high ceilings.

The choice of food catered for those who love Indian and western food. I must admit, I stuck to the buffets in La Terrasse. As I was staying at the hotel on a job, I didn't take clothes which I consider appropriate to have attired myself in to eat in the other two restaurants. Still, the buffets were excellent with choices for all tastes.

Although in isolation the food might appear a little on the expensive side, it should be kept in mind that the Oberoi is a five star deluxe and, on that basis, the prices are very reasonable.

I sincerely hope to return to the Oberoi Grand, hopefully with my wife next time. I'd love to meet the truly outstanding staff again and relax in such magnificent surroundings. An absolutely magnificent hotel with staff that would be extremely difficult to surpass.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe rooms with a view of the pool but avoid the balcony rooms. The pool view rooms hav...
2 Thank Paul D
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

My team joins me in thanking you for your very generous words of appreciation for the hotel and its services, especially the services rendered by Chef Aungshuman Chakraborty. Such positive feedback goes a long way in motivating them to achieve higher standards of service excellence.

Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi Grand and to Kolkata

Ridgecrest, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We chose this hotel because my father-in-law had visited this place during WWII, he attended activities there and saved a flyer from a "Wintergarten" evening. The hotel is surely a Grand Place and lives up to its name. It is an old hotel with lots of charm. The staff was very attentive! My husband was ill while we were there, and they were very concerned, called the hotel doctor, housekeeper Gotam brought him flowers all the staff asked how he was each time they saw him. The food was great and the chefs an waiters aimed to please. Overall an awesome experience!!!! We loved our stay in Kolkata, and this hotel is located in the center of Old Calcutta.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. The Oberoi Grand is over 120 years old and we aim at maintaining the charm of the Victorian era with its ambience while combining it with facilities essential for a modern day traveler.

I trust your husband has recovered from his illness is keeping well now. I am pleased that the team here could be of assistance.

Thank you for having stayed and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Kolkata and to The Oberoi Grand.

Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed at the Oberoi Grand for two nights in October 2013. The hotel is truly outstanding and the staff totally customer-centric. I can honestly say I've never stayed in better. The management and staff clearly care deeply about creating the best experience possible. An oasis in an amazing city!

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 4th floor - 439. Very spacious with win aspects along two streets and ba...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for writing this review on Trip Advisor.

The Oberoi Grand is referred to as the “Grand Dame of Kolkata” which depicts old world charm and Victorian style architecture and the hotel and its setting is indeed intimate. Our pool side has often been termed as an “oasis” by guests.

Our endeavour is to offer excellent accommodation, food and prompt service to all our guests and my team and I feel privileged that you have considered writing this review.

Thank you for having stayed with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi Grand and Kolkata.

Kobe, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

We love colonial hotels and we are traveling all over the world. This is the best hotel , the best hospitality we have ever stayed in. It was forth time of visiting India but first time to Kolkata.
The best location to go every where and good security, very beautiful lovely building with pool side area. We can't imagine how it is calm and so quiet from out side the streets.About breakfast, although it is buffet style, they serve some menus after we ordered, About the room,it's very clean, the beds are very comfortable and we could sleep so well.All staff are very politely and they always think how to make their guests more comfortable.When my husband will retire his business, we'll visit The Oberoi Grand Kolkata again at first. I can't explain in such
short words, you will not miss this hotel in your life!

1 Thank KYOKO T
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read such encouraging comments for the hotel and the team who are very pleased with this feedback and join me in thanking you.

Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Its a luxurious hotel. The only shortcoming was for the business traveller like me. A frequent traveller requires the basic requirements like shaving kit, dental kit etc. was not placed in the room and asking for each is next to impossible. I just stayed for around 14 hours and only while using the wash room I realised the items are not there. But overall extremely nice experience. I will like to travel for leisure and luxury to this hotel and may have second thought while travelling for the business or one day. You do not need nor can enjoy the luxury on business trip.

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Trip Advisor.

I trust you had a comfortable stay while your were here on business. I have noted your feedback for the amenities that you prefer to have in your room. We will ensure that the same are promptly delivered to you or placed in your room before arrival on your future visits. Our team members are trained to deliver this to your room whenever we get such requests.

We also have a well-equipped fitness centre, spa, and salon and steam facility for guests staying at the hotel to relax and rejuvenate in between the hectic work schedules.

Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is one of the loveliest hotels we have ever stayed in. It is a beautiful building and the rooms are comfortable and luxurious. The food is delicious especially the breakfast. Swimming in the dusk in the central pool with palm trees above you is sublime.
Best of all is the service, it feels as if all members of staff really care that you are comfortable.

The hotel has an excellent policy of no tipping but a tip can be given at the end of your stay to be shared.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay again at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to note that you had an enjoyable stay and would recommend the hotel to guests visiting Kolkata. Known as the “Grande Dame of Chowringhee”, The Oberoi Grand is an oasis in the middle of the bustling metropolitan city.