“Incredible”
Review of The Oberoi Grand

The Oberoi Grand
Ranked #1 of 219 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Victoria, Canada
“Incredible”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Probably one of the best hotel stays that I have experienced. It began with the airport pickup, being greeted by a smiling gentleman in a crisp white uniform. All staff members strived to offer the best service possible and did an outstanding job. The hotel facility is superb and no detail is overlooked. I booked through Booking.com and was able to secure a lower price overtime due to fluctuations in the room rate.
Thanks to concierge Naveer for prearranging my train tickets during Durga Puja and to the waiters in the restaurant where breakfast was served.
Also to the assistant housekeeper and her staff who ensured that my room was immaculate.

Room Tip: I received an upgrade, I would expect that all of the rooms are of excellent quality.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata recently. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and the team looked after you. The
Oberoi Grand is over 100 years old and we aim at maintaining the charm of the Victorian era with the ambience while combining it with facilities essential for a modern day traveler. I have shared your feedback with Nabeel and he is delighted to note that he could be of service to you.

Thank you for choosing to stay here and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Kolkata and to The Oberoi Grand

George Kuruvilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Chennai
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a heritage property, with a history of its own (I’ll probably write about that separately). Now, there's some part of me which really wants to be living in the early 1900s (strange, but true), and so the words "heritage" and "colonial" make me sit up and take notice.

Which was why I had mailed the hotel prior to my arrival and made some specific requests in relation to my stay, as I was keen on taking some photographs.

At check-in, I was greeted by the usual staff, along with Aatreyi Dhar, the Assistant Manager – Front Office. I’ve rarely met such an engaging member of the hotel staff! Check-in was as smooth as could be, and while that was happening, she gave me a low-down on the history of the hotel. Because we weren’t finished with her briefing, she walked me to my room on the 2nd floor. Here’s what I encountered when I got out of the elevator, up to my room.

She continued to explain, that although originally the hotel had over 500 rooms, it now has only a little over 200 operational rooms. The entire frontage of the building that overlooks the Esplanade, has rooms that are boarded up – apparently those are really large rooms with high ceilings, and I have to agree, that it makes no commercial sense to keep those rooms furnished. Later in the evening, I managed to take a picture of these rooms from inside the property.

She indicated that there was a book published by the Oberoi hotels about this property, and said she would try to locate a copy for me to read during my stay.

My room itself was a neat living space. I haven’t seen such a wide corridor other than possibly at the Marriot London County Hall.

As you enter the room, the wardrobe and coffee maker were to one side, and opposite that, the bathroom, which is actually a bit cramped when you compare it with the rest of the room.

My bags had reached the hotel earlier in the day, as I had gone straight to work from the airport. Nonetheless, the bags were already in the room, along with a welcome letter from the property’s general manager, Mr George Kuruvilla.

The room overlooked the courtyard (I couldn’t get one overlooking the pool), but it was too dark to see by the time I got to the room, so I freshened up and headed down for drinks and dinner with some colleagues visiting from overseas.

The hotel has two dining options (Baan Thai – the Thai specialty restaurant, and La Terasse – the multi-cuisine all-day dining option), as well as the Chowringhee Bar (which features a pool table). I managed to get some pictures, and we decided we’d head to the Bar for some drinks

After that, we decided to step out for dinner, so I didn’t sample the hotel’s restaurants that night. But when I got back to my room, I was in for two small but thoughtful surprises. One, the book about the property that Aatreyi had promised, with personal notes from both her as well as Mr Kuruvilla, the property’s general manager. The second was, in my opinion, even more thoughtful – this was a sampling plate of local Bengali desserts! Can’t be sure which of the two I enjoyed more!!!

The next morning, I managed to get some pictures of the views from the balcony of the room. The balcony itself is tiny, but does provide a whiff of fresh air. It was a clear day, and I’m grateful for that because the pictures I took came out well!

Then I headed down to breakfast at La Terasse, the coffee shop, which I’ve mentioned above. Breakfast itself was a reasonably large spread, beginning with coffee and an assortment of juices, along with varieties of cereals, a lot of fresh cut fruits, eggs to order, a large spread of Indian and continental dishes, breads and cheeses, fruit compote, and toast.

I had to check out in a hurry early next morning. The interesting thing was that at check out, there was a small selection of fruit juice and some muffins and croissants, for early check-outs like me. The hotel is used a lot by airlines for their crew, and so I thought this made sense. I had breakfast on-the-go with a couple of Jet Airways pilots who were also checking out of the hotel at the same time as I was. After that, it was a bit of a rush to the airport. So, disappointment that I couldn’t enjoy the facilities much on this visit.

Nonetheless, this is a property I will want to visit at least once more, if not more. Excellent facilities, and an extremely friendly and hospitable team. And I’d like to specifically thank Mr Kuruvilla for such a splendid property, and also, place particular appreciation to Aatreyi Dhar for her personal attention and assistance with my requests. If you ever get to stay at this property, seek her out for some local info, and so say hi to her from me!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

My team joins me in thanking you for your very generous words of appreciation for the hotel and its services and especially the services rendered by Aatreyi. Such positive feedback goes a long way in motivating them to achieve higher standards of service excellence.

Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi Grand and to Kolkata.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was the best hotel I have ever stayed in and one to which I will compare all others. The staff were helpful and kind beyond expectation, nothing was too much trouble and all their attention felt genuine and honest as if they meant it. The system of not giving tips directly to anyone (all tips should be given at the front desk) enhances this experience as you know the staff are not doing it for personal gain. It is also lovely to be called by your name.

The rooms were clean and well appointed as was the whole hotel. I needed extra items whilst I was there and housekeeping were very helpful. We also borrowed a DVD free of charge.

The food at breakfast was great, anything you could have wanted was there (apart from Marmite! :) and the poached eggs were perfect. It was a nice touch that you could take away a pastry with you for later.

The food in the restaurants and room service was good too, although maybe the drinks were a little expensive.

The spa was good, the ladies were very helpful, kind and well trained - although I do not think they are provided with the best equipment available e.g. wax for waxing.

The health club looked good.

I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Blou17
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time for writing a review on Trip Advisor.
I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly and helpful. They are as delighted as I am for your generous feedback. La Terrasse is one of the finest All Day Dining restaurants in Kolkata and serves a wide range of food from around the world.

Although our Spa, fitness centre and salon are equipped with the most modern equipment, I am disappointed to note that your experience did not match up to your expectations. I apologize for the same and thank you for your feedback as this would allow us to further improve our services and achieve higher standards of excellence.

Thank you for having stayed with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi Grand and Kolkata.

Norfolk
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Unfortunately, due to Cyclone Phailin, we only had one overnight stay at The Oberoi.
From the security police at the gates, the airport style security at the hotel, the reception team and the dining room staff, we could not fault anyone.
The hotel runs a shared tipping service as there are no gratuities charged and all staff share the tips left at reception box.

The rooms are old grandeur and spotlessly clean. The large double bed was comfortable.
The four day Durga Puja festival was in full flow and we walked out of the hotel into loud and bright festivities.
Thoroughly recommended central Kolkata hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikeyNorfolk
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

The Oberoi Grand is situated in the heart of bustling Kolkata and is a landmark in itself and popularly known as the “Grand dame of Chowringhee”. It is in close proximity to all major attractions of the city for leisure travelers.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed in June 2013 with my wife for our Honeymoon trip around India.

As soon as we walked in the hotel we were greeted by smiling happy staff members.

We upgraded to a Suite which was HUGE! Everything about the room was different class, it was a home away from home, the food, staff, location...Everything about this hotel was amazing we went back a few times and also stayed at the oberoi in Agra.

We will stay again!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I am delighted to know that we managed to make The Oberoi Grand your home in Kolkata and the team joins me in thanking you for your patronage and appreciation.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Kolkata and to The Oberoi Grand.

Delhi
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The difference in class is evident to any discerning patron Service and hospitality is par excellence. Subtle differences include the quality of bed linen, toiletries, premium bottled water etc.Step out of the gates to indulge in shopping that ranges from brand names to pavement shops with iconic New Market just around the corner, as is Nizams. Location cuts both ways as I realised. My room was along a side street and late in the night there the quiet was disturbed by altercations - unsavoury. It makes sense to take rooms facing inner courtyard.

Room Tip: Avoid road facing rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Gurgaonite
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I am pleased to note your positive feedback about the quality of product and services provided at the hotel and that you enjoyed the same during your stay. I am concerned to know that you were disturbed by noise coming from outside the hotel. Our windows are double glazed and prevent from sound travelling inside, however, on this occasion the noise could have been very loud. We will certainly monitor this in future.

On your next visit should you face any inconvenience, please do not hesitate to bring this to my attention or to that of any of our team member’s and I assure you that we would address your concern immediately.

Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed October 13, 2013

An oasis in Kolkata, beautiful building and swimming pool. all staff hasexcellent services, the location is very convenient ( right in the city center and shopping complex, metro station ).we always feel calm and comfortable whenerer staying in the room, restaurant or hall. Mostly important of all, the staff would take heartily considerations of all you need. To me that really makes them outstanding.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shangtangchang
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to note your very kind feedback and words of appreciation for the entire team and I thank you on their behalf. Your positive comments are very encouraging and will go a long way in as we endeavor to achieve higher standards of service excellence.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.