“Oasis”
Review of The Oberoi Grand

The Oberoi Grand
Ranked #3 of 224 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel is surrounded by markets and a wonderful view of Maidaan. Almost everything is not too far. Though everything was good, what i liked about the hotel is the old ethnic charm it still retains, it is a blend of modern service with old charm. The only odd thing was that i had to carry my suitcase to the room and no assisstance was offered, I dunno, maybe it is their policy.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank vinayksrivastava
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor.

The ambience at The Oberoi Grand reflects Victorian style of architecture and in true sense carries the old world charm with modern facilities. I sincerely apologize regarding our team not assisting you with your bag. This is certainly not our practice. I have shared your feedback with the concerned team which handles guest luggage and assure you that you will experience prompt and efficient service from our team.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

As soon as you walk in the gates from the hot sweaty street you feel a cool breeze greet you. A lovely old hotel with friendly helpful staff a great breakfast a nice swimming pool and I would recommend it to anyone who likes an old Raj style hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

We are delighted to read such encouraging comments. The team joins in thanking you.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here with my wife because our son plays rugby for jungle crows of Kolkata .There is too much to mention from the service ,rooms,swimming and food everything was fantastic , breakfast was a pleasure with Richard and his staff nothing was too much well done .The front desk was very helpful and the doormen and women also .The chowringhee bar staff where very good and ban tai restaurant was excellent .Our room was always well serviced and clean .I don't want name individuals it wouldn't be fair so well done EVERYONE and if we come back this is the hotel we will be staying ,Thankyou for making our stay very enjoyable

• Stayed: June 2013
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata recently. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

At The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata our endeavor is to offer excellent accommodation, food and prompt and personalised service to guests. I will certainly pass on your kind words of appreciation to Richard, his team and the entire staff regarding our service in the hotel. I can assure you that it shall go a long way to motivate the team to continue to deliver a high level of service to our valued guests.

My team and I feel privileged that you have considered writing this review.

Thank you for having stayed with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi Grand and Kolkata.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Got into CCU airport on a late flight out of Delhi, and didn't get into the hotel until 10 PM local time. I was tired, feeling grimy (tip: don't do the trip from the airport in a yellow cab at the moment due to all the construction/dust), and just needed to pass out. To compound my issues, I had a train from HWH the next morning at 6:20.

A welcome refreshing lime drink was given to me while I was at the desk checking in, and was one of the subtle touches which makes this hotel clearly stand out. I was quickly whisked away by a staff member to my room, and was shown the restaurants, etc. on my way. I took a quick shower and went down for a late dinner at 11PM, and the food was wonderful at La Terrasse. All set and done, I was back in my room by 11:45.

While I had been out, my bathroom had even been cleaned up and new amenities had been put in! The next morning, a staff member came and knocked at 4:45 with a complimentary espresso to help me get my day going (I'm a huge coffee junkie, and had mentioned that during check-in). Whilst I missed breakfast, I was still impressed by the array that was available on the to-go cart in the lobby. After I checked out, the staff quickly summoned a taxi for me and I was on my way. All in all, I'll be back here in a heartbeat.

I've stayed at multiple 5* properties in this city (Sonar, Hyatt, etc.), and whilst the service is top-notch at all 3, the old world charm that this beautiful hotel brings is truly unique and memorable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ayeleswarapu

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I am delighted to note that you had an enjoyable stay.

The Oberoi Grand’s location and proximity to the business houses and offices make it ideal choice for corporate travelers even though the journey from the Airport to the hotel may take a while. Our endeavor is to ensure that you are made to feel special and your stay is customized to suit your needs.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

As you would expect from an Oberoi, the Grand is truly excellent. The staff are attentive, kind, and anticipate what one would need before you can even ask for it. During an early morning swim, a staff member brought tea and cookies out to my husband and myself, which was absolutely perfect. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, and the beds are tremendously comfortable. We got in late our first night, but were still able to get room service after midnight, including bar service, which we had been previously told would not be available.
Breakfast was provided downstairs. and both the Indian and Continental options were delicious. The bar had an extensive, and appropriately expensive, menu, but the service was excellent and the ambiance was great.
Our entire stay was comfortable, pleasant, and everything that one would expect from an Oberoi. In the heart of Kolkata, it is wholly unexpected, but hugely appreciated.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank A J

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

The Oberoi Grand is referred to as the “Grand Dame of Kolkata” which depicts the old world charm and Victorian style and the hotel and its setting is indeed intimate. Our pool side rooms have a great view of the swimming pool and gardens which has often been termed as an “oasis” by most of the guest.

Both, restaurants La Terrasse and The Chowringhee Bar, are acclaimed in the city for the quality of food and service. It has been our constant endeavour to offer excellent accommodation, food and warm and friendly service to all our guests.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

An expected haven amongst the chaos of Calcutta.No surprise there except for cigarettes butts being left on the ground in the pool area,long delays in service around the pool,stains on the table menus , unclean doors in the Spa and very pleasant evening snacks left in your room without cutlery.
Not good considering the expected standard of an Oberoi and the price.
All these issues were pointed out to management and the entire staff knew about my complaints within minutes.
It was unfortunate as all staff except for staff in the pool area were outstanding. The Concierge organised an excellent tour and the waiting staff in the Dining Room explained all the Indian dishes very well and even made suggestions not on the menu that could be arranged.

Room Tip: Ask for s room with a pool view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Douglas B

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

My team and I are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and that we could be of assistance to make your stay comfortable.

We have noted your feedback regarding the inconvenience you faced at the poolside with regards to the upkeep and service. Please accept my sincere apologies for the same. I have shared your feedback with the team and assure you that this was an isolated incident and not our practice, hence I request you to not let this mar your impression of the overall services at The Oberoi Grand.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata and request you to give us another opportunity of serving you to showcase ourselves in better.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

As is expected from an Oberoi property, the staff are courteous, efficient and helpful. Though the outside of this hotel appears to be crowded, once you enter the gates one can feel the space, & beautifully laid out hotel with ready to help staff. The facilities in the rooms are one of the best standards. Location is an added advantage as this hotel is centrally located.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank LP_201314

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

The Oberoi Grand is referred to as the “Grand Dame of Kolkata” which depicts the old world charm and the Victorian style and the hotel and its setting is indeed intimate. Amidst the hustle bustle of the city the hotel has often been termed as an “oasis” by most of our discerning travelers.

Baan Thai restaurant has been awarded as the best specialty restaurant of the city. The hotel is located next to the famous “New Market” of Kolkata. It is a preferred hotel of both our leisure and business travelers as it is located in the business hub of Kolkata.

I am delighted to note that you have had an enjoyable stay and it was a pleasure to have been of service to you.