“Luxury in the midst of squalor”
Review of The Oberoi Grand

The Oberoi Grand
Ranked #2 of 224 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Wow, wow, wow! What a hotel. Old world charm, in the heart of a crowded and dirty city makes this hotel a true oasis and haven of luxury. The food at Baan Thai was simply exquisite, the chowringhee bar is a classic and the service throughout the hotel was just impeccable with complete and total personalization every step of the way. It was uncanny the way staff new my name throughout my stay - you really didn't feel like a room number but like a guest. These guys have hospitality down to a new level. I must say these guys know what they are doing.

Room Tip: The inward facing rooms, which I believe the hotel calls premier rooms overlooking the pool are wort...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata recently. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

The Oberoi Grand is referred to as the “Grand Dame of Kolkata” which depicts the old world charm and the Victorian culture and the hotel and its setting is indeed intimate. Our pool side rooms have a great view of the swimming pool which has often been termed as an “oasis” by most of the guest.

Both our restaurants, La Terrasse and Baan Thai, are acclaimed in the city for the quality of food and service. It has been our utmost focus at The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata to provide our valued guests with personalized service that meets high standards of hospitality. Your words of appreciation regarding our service in the hotel shall go a long way to motivate the team to continue to deliver a high level of service to our valued guests.

Our endeavour is to offer excellent accommodation, food and prompt service to all our guests and my team and I feel privileged that you have considered writing this review.

Thank you for having stayed with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi Grand and Kolkata.

There are newer reviews for The Oberoi Grand

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Perfection it was.The standard was very high. The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. The food and amenities were 1st class. I cannot recommend it more highly. We stayed at the begining and end of our trip down the Hoogly River and both times the standard was extremely high. I loved my stay there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us at The Oberoi Grand. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to know that you were well looked after during the two stays you had with. Kolkata provides a gateway to the exotic destinations in North East India and also a port for sailing upstream on river Ganges (Hoogly) and Brahamaputra. In the heart of Kolkata city is located The Oberoi Grand which has most places of tourist interest and the Jetty on Hoogly river in close proximity.

I have shared your feedback with the team who are also very encouraged to achieve higher standards of excellence.

We look forward to welcome you back to The Oberoi Grand on your next visit to Kolkata.

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 30, 2013

By any standards this hotel, in our opinion, ranks with the world's best. The staff are really well trained, co-operative and very friendly. The rooms are beautifully appointed. We stayed in a room overlooking the swimming pool (recommended).
This hotel is really very, very good. try it.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the swimming pool
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RicMicDublin
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

It is a delight to read such encouraging comments for the hotel and the team who are equally pleased with your feedback and join me in thanking you.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed in a wide variety hotels while we visited South Asia. We decided to stay at the Oberoi for a few nights as a treat after having spent an extended time in the rural areas. Wow. This was a hotel experience on par with the world's best. I don't think I can recall a single thing that disappointed. I suppose after the experience of roughing it in the villages the Oberoi was just what we needed. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank BeenThereD0neThatNYC

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay again at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to note that you had an enjoyable stay and would recommend us for guests visiting Kolkata. Known as the “Grande Dame of Chowringhee”, The Oberoi Grand is an oasis in the middle of the bustling metropolitan city.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here in 2010 and was really looking forward to our one-night stay. Yes, the Reception area and welcome were good, but no welcome drink or flannels. We were offered tea or coffee in the room but declined as we are not great tea and coffee drinkers. Room lived up to expectations. Excellent soap, shampoo etc. However, when we ate dinner we found the Chefs in the restaurant very attentive, but the waiting staff were not the best. Our breakfast experience was not that good at all. Yes, the buffet is fairly extensive, but we had better during our three-weeks away. Fresh fruit selection was somewhat limited with no pineapple or bananas. I toasted a piece of brown bread and requested 'scrambled eggs on that piece of toast'. After a VERY LONG wait I was presented with barely cooked eggs on a fresh piece of buttered toast with the crusts removed. Very nice if you like that sort of thing, but NOT WHAT I ASKED FOR. We could not send it back and ask for what I wanted as the wait had been so long and we had a plane to catch. Perhaps we were unlucky. Yes, it is a beautiful hotel, but we felt that standards had slipped slightly. Don't let this put you off, though. Overall The Grand gives you a lovely hotel experience.

Room Tip: Only ever had a 'basic' room at the back of the hotel, but no complaints.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TessaPolis

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I have taken a note of your positive feedback regarding the reception, the room and the amenities in your room and would like to thank you for the same.

However, I am deeply concerned to note that your experience in this stay was not as enjoyable and memorable as your pervious visit and at the outset I would like to apologize for the same. I have shared all the feedback regarding your experience at breakfast with the kitchen and restaurant team and I assure you that all necessary trainings would be conducted to ensure that you or any other guests do not face this in future.

I request you to treat this incident in isolation and not let it mar your impression of overall services of the hotel as this was a complete departure from our usual service standards.

We hope you would give us another opportunity of showing ourselves ion better light by returning to The Oberoi Grand on your next visit to Kolkata, we look forward to the same.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is a magnificent hotel, it has the feel of old world but the service of the modern era. The room I had was excellent, clean, spacious and with full amenities. The house staff are very efficient and courteous. One of my colleagues was not well and the attention she was given is to be admired by hotels world wide, they phoned and checked on her well being and sent food and help where possible. I cannot say enough to recommend this hotel when staying in Kolkata.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with the 4 poster bed, excellent.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

My team and I are delighted to note that you were looked after well during your stay. Guest satisfaction is our prime concern and we are pleased to know that we could meet and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My mother and I stay in this hotel every year.We are treated like we are family by all if the staff.The rooms are spacious and are of a high standard.I was taken ill on our last trip due to getting bitten on a short trip to Goa.The staff in the hotel took me to the hospital and stayed with me whilst I was being seen by the doctors.The manager in the restaurant arranged for me to have breakfast in my room as I was to ill to go to the restaurant.He even came to my room to see how I was.Many thanks to Richard and all the staff in the restaurant.Food and service of a very high standard.I would also like to thank the front of house staff for all their kindness.My mother and I look forward to our next visit this October.Gwen Jones

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I hope you would have recovered from your illness and I am pleased that we could be of assistance to you when you had taken ill while touring India. My team joins me in thanking you for your kind words of appreciation.