“Spectacular”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Oberoi Grand

The Oberoi Grand
Ranked #1 of 218 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Dublin
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

By any standards this hotel, in our opinion, ranks with the world's best. The staff are really well trained, co-operative and very friendly. The rooms are beautifully appointed. We stayed in a room overlooking the swimming pool (recommended).
This hotel is really very, very good. try it.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the swimming pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RicMicDublin
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

It is a delight to read such encouraging comments for the hotel and the team who are equally pleased with your feedback and join me in thanking you.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.

George Kuruvilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed in a wide variety hotels while we visited South Asia. We decided to stay at the Oberoi for a few nights as a treat after having spent an extended time in the rural areas. Wow. This was a hotel experience on par with the world's best. I don't think I can recall a single thing that disappointed. I suppose after the experience of roughing it in the villages the Oberoi was just what we needed. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank BeenThereD0neThatNYC
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay again at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to note that you had an enjoyable stay and would recommend us for guests visiting Kolkata. Known as the “Grande Dame of Chowringhee”, The Oberoi Grand is an oasis in the middle of the bustling metropolitan city.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here in 2010 and was really looking forward to our one-night stay. Yes, the Reception area and welcome were good, but no welcome drink or flannels. We were offered tea or coffee in the room but declined as we are not great tea and coffee drinkers. Room lived up to expectations. Excellent soap, shampoo etc. However, when we ate dinner we found the Chefs in the restaurant very attentive, but the waiting staff were not the best. Our breakfast experience was not that good at all. Yes, the buffet is fairly extensive, but we had better during our three-weeks away. Fresh fruit selection was somewhat limited with no pineapple or bananas. I toasted a piece of brown bread and requested 'scrambled eggs on that piece of toast'. After a VERY LONG wait I was presented with barely cooked eggs on a fresh piece of buttered toast with the crusts removed. Very nice if you like that sort of thing, but NOT WHAT I ASKED FOR. We could not send it back and ask for what I wanted as the wait had been so long and we had a plane to catch. Perhaps we were unlucky. Yes, it is a beautiful hotel, but we felt that standards had slipped slightly. Don't let this put you off, though. Overall The Grand gives you a lovely hotel experience.

Room Tip: Only ever had a 'basic' room at the back of the hotel, but no complaints.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TessaPolis
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I have taken a note of your positive feedback regarding the reception, the room and the amenities in your room and would like to thank you for the same.

However, I am deeply concerned to note that your experience in this stay was not as enjoyable and memorable as your pervious visit and at the outset I would like to apologize for the same. I have shared all the feedback regarding your experience at breakfast with the kitchen and restaurant team and I assure you that all necessary trainings would be conducted to ensure that you or any other guests do not face this in future.

I request you to treat this incident in isolation and not let it mar your impression of overall services of the hotel as this was a complete departure from our usual service standards.

We hope you would give us another opportunity of showing ourselves ion better light by returning to The Oberoi Grand on your next visit to Kolkata, we look forward to the same.

Byron Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is a magnificent hotel, it has the feel of old world but the service of the modern era. The room I had was excellent, clean, spacious and with full amenities. The house staff are very efficient and courteous. One of my colleagues was not well and the attention she was given is to be admired by hotels world wide, they phoned and checked on her well being and sent food and help where possible. I cannot say enough to recommend this hotel when staying in Kolkata.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with the 4 poster bed, excellent.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

My team and I are delighted to note that you were looked after well during your stay. Guest satisfaction is our prime concern and we are pleased to know that we could meet and exceed your expectations.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

My mother and I stay in this hotel every year.We are treated like we are family by all if the staff.The rooms are spacious and are of a high standard.I was taken ill on our last trip due to getting bitten on a short trip to Goa.The staff in the hotel took me to the hospital and stayed with me whilst I was being seen by the doctors.The manager in the restaurant arranged for me to have breakfast in my room as I was to ill to go to the restaurant.He even came to my room to see how I was.Many thanks to Richard and all the staff in the restaurant.Food and service of a very high standard.I would also like to thank the front of house staff for all their kindness.My mother and I look forward to our next visit this October.Gwen Jones

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I hope you would have recovered from your illness and I am pleased that we could be of assistance to you when you had taken ill while touring India. My team joins me in thanking you for your kind words of appreciation.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was my second stay at the Oberoi Grand. I was there for 10 days on business. The hotel is beautifully appointed, rooms are large with nice wood details, and the bed was very, very comfortable with nice feather pillows. The internet is pricey but worked well. I ate several times in the hotel restaurants; the Thai restaurant is especially good but all the food is very good. The pool area is almost beyond belief for being in the center of Kolkata- truly an oasis. I also used the spa/gym several times. The gym has great modern equipment. The massage I received at the spa was one of the best I've ever had and I get frequent massages.

The most notable thing about the hotel is the service- truly outstanding. Every staff member makes you feel like royalty and does their utmost to be of help in any way. They do this without receiving tips as well, which is very unusualy for India. The Oberoi Grand getws my highest recommendation and I will always stay here when I return to Kolkata.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank drjeff1968
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I am delighted to know that you had a memorable holiday with you family and your children enjoyed the attention as much. Situated in the heart of the historic city of Kolkata, the Oberoi Grand has a prime location with all major places of tourist interest such as the Victoria Memorial, Indian Museum, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Birla Planetarium and Dalhousie square being in close proximity.

Tallinn, Estonia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Oberoi super standard in all spheres, real nice old building, best location. Staying here is a nice extra value to experience the city. Stayed for 2 nights, for leisure, with kids. The kids were overpampered with gifts, everyone on the staff tries to impress you with a smile, keeping a relaxed atmosphere and preserving your privacy. The hotel made my first trip to Kolkata a nice, safe, luxury visit.

• Stayed April 2013